Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Handy little clip there. Seems that the ID3 interior construction is no different from any of the other VAG range. I've got a Thinkware F770 front and back webcam set up to go in my forthcoming ID3. It's been in 3 cars in the last 5 years and still going strong (removed it from my A4 that I sold earlier this week).

Mine's a little more complicated in that it can do parking monitoring so needs a permanent 12V and a switched 12V. I'll probably seek out the central locking fuse for permanent live.

Also, with the rear camera, I've got to feed another cable along the headlining to the boot wiring conduit and feed through (for me the most fiddly bit of the install by far - I usually tape the end of the lead to a wire coat hanger and feed through. Then to strip the boot trim - usually 2 or 4 torque screws around the centre, in the recesses where the warning triangle clips in, then lever all round to pop the spring clips and mount the camera then refit the trim after securing the slack.

One thing that is a total unknown to me...if the 12V battery depletes (with parking monitoring), if the car's sat a few days, can the big drive battery charge the 12v battery while it's just sat on the drive, or only when the car's back on the move as an ICD would?

The dashcam has a voltage cut-off so it won't drain the 12V battery beyond a predetermined limit, just wondered whether the 12v battery could be charging off the drive battery indefinitely.

Front cam position, forme I'd put it to the left of my rear view mirror in a place I can't see it in my driving position.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,804 Posts
One thing that is a total unknown to me...if the 12V battery depletes (with parking monitoring), if the car's sat a few days, can the big drive battery charge the 12v battery while it's just sat on the drive, or only when the car's back on the move as an ICD would?

The dashcam has a voltage cut-off so it won't drain the 12V battery beyond a predetermined limit, just wondered whether the 12v battery could be charging off the drive battery indefinitely.
The later software updates appear to have implemented some kind of 12v top up from the traction battery, I had a battery monitor on mine from early on and it was erratic under the early software albeit mine never let me down.

Under 2.1, it seems to just top up little and often according to the track, and the voltage drop off seems more gentle, but then it is appreciably warmer now too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Anyone installing a camera and intending to remove panels to do so might want to be aware that a VW technician told me that the retaining clips on the ID3 (and ID4?) are designed to break and so need replacing on reassembly.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Anyone installing a camera and intending to remove panels to do so might want to be aware that a VW technician told me that the retaining clips on the ID3 (and ID4?) are designed to break and so need replacing on reassembly.
Not sure I believe that technician TBH, except for the door cards.

The door cards on VAGs used to have circular screw in plastic clips (and may still do) that are very susceptible to breaking (and designed with the expectation that they probably will) unless you're very careful - I would always buy some before taking door cards off.

For pretty much everything else, you have diamond shaped springy metal strips with tails that slide into slots moulded into the back of the panel and push into a slit-hole on the bodywork behind the panel - you can see these on the side caps of the dash in the guy's video that are levered off. The tailgate interior is clipped in like this on every VAG I've ever pulled bits off, as are small panels that cover the B and C pillars. Some guy on the ID3 specific forum pulled his door grab handles off to wrap them and they have the same diamond shaped sprung clips holding them to the main door card.

I really can't see VAG radically changing the trim fastening system which serves them well across their range, just for their EVs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not sure I believe that technician TBH, except for the door cards.
That's up to you, I can only pass on what the dealer's Master Technician told me when he offered to install my dashcam for free. He had nothing to gain by misleading me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A word of caution for anyone installing a dashcam and then taking the car to Europe. Due to the data protection law being erratically implemented throughout Europe, some countries prohibit the use of dashcams, some ask for restrictions on what can be recorded and some don't care.

Best to check the situation before you visit, but also be aware the law is being constantly tested and appealed against so you need to make sure the information you read is recent.

Fines can be large, larger still if your car is a company one.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just unplug it in the relevant countries, like we have to do in the UK when your car goes to the dealership for servicing and warranty work for "Privacy" (i.e. dealership employee going out for a joy ride in your car on the technician's lunch break).

I wish I'd had a dashcam in 2013. I was one of the first people in the country to get a MK7 Golf GTD, and the numpties at PDI forgot to remove the transport pucks from the front suspension, wrecking the top mount bearings after a week's driving. My car went in 1 week old to get them replaced and my car was fixed in the morning but mysteriously vanished over lunch time when I went to pick it up. The trip computer indicated that it has done 37 miles at an average 27mpg in their care. They must've thrashed the hell out of it to get half the mpg it should've had for that trip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The problem I gave at the moment is finding a dashcan that is compliant with German interpretation of the new data laws, mostly because no one seems to know what they are. They can be used but only if the camera only saves actual accidents and if the loop recording only records enough to enable it to do that.

How long is that? No one seems to know!

Also parking and filming seems to be a very grey area.

Interestingly enough, these restrictions also apply to cyclists.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The problem I gave at the moment is finding a dashcan that is compliant with German interpretation of the new data laws, mostly because no one seems to know what they are. They can be used but only if the camera only saves actual accidents and if the loop recording only records enough to enable it to do that.

How long is that? No one seems to know!

Also parking and filming seems to be a very grey area.

Interestingly enough, these restrictions also apply to cyclists.
So in Germany you don't have Go-Pro lycra clad heroes on their pushbikes posting dubious driving skills but omitting themselves cycling through red lights as traffic lights seemingly don't apply to them?
:D

My dashcams have been useful a fair few times, the last one 2 months ago being a MAMIL on a bike, 6 foot off the back bumper of the car in front of me and used the car's rear end to stop when the car slowed down for a pedestrian crossing, crashing into the back and leaving lots of scratches and a small dent.

His reaction? to start having a go at the elderly driver when he got out to see what had just transpired. As soon as I got out to intervene, get between angry lycra man and the shocked pensioner, then offered them both a copy of the dashcam footage, lycra man realised that he didn't have a leg to stand on and buggered off without leaving any details. So the footage went to the police (for both threatening a pensioner with violence and not giving any details after an accident), and the old fellas insurance company to establish he was involved in a non-fault accident with an uninsured driver (cyclist).

In answer to your question, I'd probably loop every 30 mins. Do those looping laws also apply to parking monitoring, designed for the dashcam to capture footage of anyone messing with or hitting your car while its parked.

Maybe that's not a problem in Germany? I get the impression that German citizens are much more compliant with the law than us British are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you know where is any useful grounding point in ID.3 with steering wheel on the left side? I would like to hardwire a dashcam but I cannot find any screw that is grounded. I took off both the cover of the fuse panel and the small dashboard piece from the door side and I cannot find any grounded screw. I tested couple of the screws I could see but they are not grounded. I think that in a Golf mk7 there was a ground point somewhere on the fuse panel but I cannot see such a point here.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Do you know where is any useful grounding point in ID.3 with steering wheel on the left side? I would like to hardwire a dashcam but I cannot find any screw that is grounded. I took off both the cover of the fuse panel and the small dashboard piece from the door side and I cannot find any grounded screw. I tested couple of the screws I could see but they are not grounded. I think that in a Golf mk7 there was a ground point somewhere on the fuse panel but I cannot see such a point here.
I haven't opened up an ID3 (as I don't have mine yet), but on every Golf/Polo/A4/A1 I've fitted a dashcam to, there's a side cap panel to the upper dashboard that can be prised off and there's a bolt head attached to the metal frame of the dashboard that I loosen and attach my grounding wire there, then retighten). If it's on the other side then maybe you can connect to a bolt head on the other side with an extension to your grounding wire attached to a straightened wire coat hanger and feed through (had to do this on the A1).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.