Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson has just posted a video to its YouTube, which teases a new model coming tomorrow, June 19th, 2014. The video itself is devoid of any information, with a sole blurred motorcycle jetting past a Route 66 sign. The only hint we have on what to expect is the unmistakable sound of an electric drivetrain at full-tilt.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/electric-harley-davidson-debut-tomorrow/
image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Yeah this is great, wouldn't have expected Harley to jump in so early but hopefully all the other fossil-bike makers will follow!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The BBC has it now with the, somewhat predictable, expected responses: "I'd need a real engine in it", "I can't help think a silent bike is a recipe for disaster on our ever increasingly busy roads"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27926348

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
I can't believe that of all motorbike manufacturers, it'd be them first making a spark in the EV landscape. I mean, the first thing you think when thinking of harley is the noise their machines make and the somewhat 'blast from the past' kind of engine that makes it. Truly impressed by the guts they show.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't believe that of all motorbike manufacturers, it'd be them first making a spark in the EV landscape. I mean, the first thing you think when thinking of harley is the noise their machines make and the somewhat 'blast from the past' kind of engine that makes it. Truly impressed by the guts they show.
.. ehh ? They're not necessarily the first. Various companies and individuals have been putting EV Superbikes for many years. I am amazed that Harley, of all people, have made the brave decision to join in by producing something that sounds like its out of Tron rather than the more usual big fat loud mid-life-crisis stuff that wont go round corners.

US pioneer Chip Yates has been developing a world beating EV Superbike for years and has set dozens of records with it. It has 12kwh of LiFePo4, 240bhp, 400 Lbs / Ft and a top speed of 190mph.

Check out his Pikes Peak challenge with some amazing cliff-drops shown from about 1m15s onwards :-

Fairly impressive TT lap on an EV Bike ..

Quite fancy one of these Monotracer-E's ..

Monotracer EV 2 ph.jpg
240 BHP EV bike chip yates.jpg

Brammo Empulse.jpg
MCZ.jpg
MCZ2.jpg

vectrix.jpg

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
I think Olivier just meant first major manufacturer although now that I've read up a bit more about the bike it seems it's still a fair way from mass-production.
Indeed thanks, and an iconic one as well. I am no motorcycle expert but I would have been a lot less surprised if it had been Honda or Yamaha

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
If I remember right, does HD not have some type of copyright over the engine note of their bikes?
If they do will they try and copyright the silence of the 'whine'?

·
Ampera, as my Co. car
90 Posts

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
I was scanning through the Finacial Times "How to Spend it":rolleyes: supplement from the weekend and happened to notice a short test write up on the Livewire which is doing the rounds at the moment ahead of a possible release next year??

Not a bad article and a fair review of an EV but can't seem to find a link to it online yet.

Incidentally I was not reading the "How to Spend It" section for practical advice. I am more than capable of finding ways to achieve this. I also prefer the simplicity of the Zero and the thought of battery swapping rather than an iconic image.

Only thing is if you turn up at a charger and one is plugged in will you ChargeBump it?:eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts