Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Harley-Davidson Releasing Electric Bike

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Justin Andrews 
#1 ·
Harley-Davidson has just posted a video to its YouTube, which teases a new model coming tomorrow, June 19th, 2014. The video itself is devoid of any information, with a sole blurred motorcycle jetting past a Route 66 sign. The only hint we have on what to expect is the unmistakable sound of an electric drivetrain at full-tilt.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/electric-harley-davidson-debut-tomorrow/
Logo Text Font Brand Graphics

See less See more
#9 ·
The BBC has it now with the, somewhat predictable, expected responses: "I'd need a real engine in it", "I can't help think a silent bike is a recipe for disaster on our ever increasingly busy roads"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27926348

#12 · (Edited)
.. ehh ? They're not necessarily the first. Various companies and individuals have been putting EV Superbikes for many years. I am amazed that Harley, of all people, have made the brave decision to join in by producing something that sounds like its out of Tron rather than the more usual big fat loud mid-life-crisis stuff that wont go round corners.

US pioneer Chip Yates has been developing a world beating EV Superbike for years and has set dozens of records with it. It has 12kwh of LiFePo4, 240bhp, 400 Lbs / Ft and a top speed of 190mph.

Check out his Pikes Peak challenge with some amazing cliff-drops shown from about 1m15s onwards :-

Fairly impressive TT lap on an EV Bike ..

Quite fancy one of these Monotracer-E's ..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Yellow

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust

Land vehicle Vehicle Superbike racing Motorcycle Motorcycle racer

Motorcycle racer Superbike racing Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Auto show

#18 ·
#20 ·
I was scanning through the Finacial Times "How to Spend it":rolleyes: supplement from the weekend and happened to notice a short test write up on the Livewire which is doing the rounds at the moment ahead of a possible release next year??

Not a bad article and a fair review of an EV but can't seem to find a link to it online yet.

Incidentally I was not reading the "How to Spend It" section for practical advice. I am more than capable of finding ways to achieve this. I also prefer the simplicity of the Zero and the thought of battery swapping rather than an iconic image.

Only thing is if you turn up at a charger and one is plugged in will you ChargeBump it?:eek:

#21 ·
If you want battery swapping than the Zero-FX is a good bike to check out.

However if you want range, then you really need a bigger battery than swapping will easily allow.
Right now the Zero's are probably the most realistic electric motorbikes available in the UK (god its nice to say that after two years in the wilderness.)

I will be happy to see what ever becomes of the Live Wire, right now even though its not available its been a really important EV motorbike, as its got people talking about EV bikes, in a good way.

#24 ·
If you want battery swapping than the Zero-FX is a good bike to check out
I keep looking at this and have been wondering about the cost and complexity of import. I assume from your other comment that there are now UK dealers again.

How did you find insurers reacted to a Zero? I know with cars there was a slight hesitation and overpricing in some areas.

#22 ·
Harley have been very clever, they took a number of Electric prototypes around all the US bike shows for last season, but with no hype that they were releasing an electric bike. So they didnt antagonise the traditional Harley owner, but did test the potential acceptance of such a product by its conventional buyers, the press and potential new owners. The result was a staggering yes this is a new classic harley and is wanted in the market. A very clever approach to introducing such a huge departure in a very conservative market, with very conservative buyers and owners.
I have no doubt that their order books will be full for this bike for some years to come. A very clever and bold move for a manufacturer in a very traditional market.

#23 ·
A very clever approach to introducing such a huge departure in a very conservative market, with very conservative buyers and owners.
I have no doubt that their order books will be full for this bike for some years to come. A very clever and bold move for a manufacturer in a very traditional market.
I think the inclusion of the bike in 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' film probably helped get the bike noticed by the intended potential purchasers!

The problem Harley have found, like a lot of other traditional bike makers will, is an ageing market demographic. They desperately need to find a new way to entice new people to spend money with them. The Revolution engine (water cooled DOHC 'sporting' V-twin introduced in 2001) and the smaller 750cc Revolution X (2013) have not got many fans despite being (measurably) very good indeed and the 'traditional' air cooled V-twin engine is going to be too loud and too polluting to be sold anywhere soon but is still very popular with the type of customer Harley tend to attract. Also they make bikes that people keep hold of, they don't swap to new bikes every other year. Harley Davidson NEEDS to find another market niche. This may turn out to be the Livewire (or something like it)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.