Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone with a mk2 experience harsh braking? It's feels a lot more aggressive during braking unlike our other auto ICE.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There are *lots* of grumbles about grabby brakes over on LeafTalk, but there doesn't appear to be any consistent pattern yet.
Many, however, say that it's worse when fully charged (given that there's no regen available then) and that a firm stomp on the pedal often resolves the problem for that journey.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Very odd. Maybe folk are used to softer brakes, the LEAF brakes seem OK to me, you have to remember it's a heavy car and not a small or nimble one at that.

Sometimes they do feel like they "grab" if you've in "B" mode and ABS has to help out, that behaviour can be quite odd. For example in Milton Keynes, slowing from 60/70 in to a roundabout, hit pothole and ABS and B mode seem to get all in a tizz, not pleasant.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I would say "grabby and unpredictable", I mainly drive in B mode but never checked the response while in D. It's quite noticeable when rolling upto a junction (low speeds), and as you say they tend to grab and then jerks you forward.
I may ring the local Nissan dealer to see what they say.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Yes I would say "grabby and unpredictable", I mainly drive in B mode but never checked the response while in D. It's quite noticeable when rolling upto a junction (low speeds), and as you say they tend to grab and then jerks you forward.
That may be it (ABS / Brake regen mix-type behaviour) although I find it's quite rare to be honest. If it's unsettling it's always worth just talking to the dealer and if it's predictable even taken them for a ride out to show where it and how it happens.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I haven't found this at all. I've found the LEAF braking smooth and progressive, especially at low speed. I'd get it checked out.

I have experienced a regen/ABS wobble but that was travelling at 30/40 regen near full just on the brakes as the front wheel hit a shiny manhole cover in the wet. You do forget just how much weight is in the car and the forces at work, until the tyres let go of grip!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone with a mk2 experience harsh braking? It's feels a lot more aggressive during braking unlike our other auto ICE.
Hi Lee,

Yup, we have a 14 reg Leaf and the brakes can be very harsh at low speed when the batteries are full and in B mode particularly. Anything over 20MPH and they are like any other car, below that and they give a rough ride. I'll try stomping the pedal as Flipper suggested but suspect that will make any passengers very unhappy! (I wouldn't warn them of course!)

Cheers
LymeSimon

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The only time I've had grabby brakes is in slow/stopstart traffic. I mean very very slow. very occasional (mk1)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Jef from LeafTalk has had a few reports of the same (or similar) and has asked if I could get some feedback here. We can then pool this and he can pass back to Nissan UK if there seems to be any real patterns emerging.

So here goes, please stay on this exact topic and answer as precisely as possible if you can:

Questions:
  • Which year and model of the LEAF do you have the problem in?
  • What exactly is the problem, in summary? (please avoid vague terms, and be as specific as you like)
  • Can you give some repeatable steps that reproduce the issue reliably? (it's better to include too much information than not enough)
  • What would you expect to happen?
  • What actually happens?
  • Are there any workarounds, fixes, or circumstances under which it doesn't happen?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2013 Acenta
I try to brake gradually to bring the car to a stop (junctions, etc), at first the braking is gradual but then at a point it just grabs where you (and any passengers) are then shucked forward.
I've never noticed a pattern with regards to battery life, but I use the car mainly commuting on an A road for 30mile each trip.
I haven't found a work around yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same experience as Lee... 2014 Accenta and at slow speeds the car suddenly grabs and stops suddenly. It doesn't happen all the time, around 80% and my feeling is that it tends to happen more when battery is at a high % charge. I tried "stamping on the brake" as advised by someone else and that made no difference. I use the car mainly round our very small town but also on long journeys. I think coming down from high speed to stop it doesn't tend to do it. My wife & I have both experienced it on many journeys in the 3 months we have owned it and to be honest it is making me unhappy with the car when everything else is so good.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
We have this problem with the MK2 Leaf also.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
@NissanGB are you aware and fixing?
That's what they indicate in the other thread - seems you have to bring it to the service dept's attention though, making sure they refer to Nissan Tech if necessary.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I mostly drive in B, so I don't need to brake too much. If you keep an eye on the "power" dots on the top display you will see the regen can switch in and out during braking when slow driving and then you have two different braking "profiles" that you don't have control of. ICE cars have individual repeatable braking dynamics, which you learn to expect by driving over time.
Yeah, it's not that (though until it started happening to me that's what I assumed). It really is s case that everything will be fine, you'll be sitting in crawling traffic, stop-start as normal, then on one occasion, you'll gently apply the brakes and lurch to a halt as way more force is applied than you requested.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have a 2014 Leaf Tekna and the brakes do grab at lower speeds, both the wife and I have noticed. Seems worse in colder weather though, didn't really notice it when the weather was milder.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
But the difference with this BEV and conventional cars is the addition of computation of the required brake force allowing the car to recoup rolling inertia as returning charge.
I'll brake test tomorrow in neutral, unless it can't keep it's fingers out of the 'braking pie' it should act like a conventional brake pedal.
I've had it happen in neutral - that's the point I realised I really did have the problem!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Seems to be worse in B mode on mine. Have asked the dealer if they can advise while its in for the battery check

1 - 20 of 33 Posts