Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of ordering a M3, which are currently are quoted being August delivery.

Problem I have, is that I have an newish EV to trade-in that is going off for some remedial paintwork after someone scuffed the rear door and wheel-arch.

Tesla's trade-in offer is way too low (I don't class the repair as 'significant so for now haven't mentioned it'), but one of the car buying services (not WBAC!!) has offered near to the threshold I have set myself in order to justify the financial hit I'll be taking in ditching my current EV which is a 21 plate.

I am confident, that submitting details of my current vehicle to Motorway will solicit a bid that will tick the box I need to go ahead with the M3 purchase, but I cannot take photos until the paintwork is done and that will be in about 3 weeks time, but by then I might have missed the boat (so to speak) and have to wait longer for a M3.

The longer I wait, the more of a hit it is going to be on my current two-month old car!

But...
I am thinking that if I pay the £100 order fee, I can secure the M3 for August delivery, and if I cannot achieve the price I want need to buy the M3, I can simply cancel it under the distance selling regs and walk away, and the most it'll be costing me is the £100 (I know some people have even managed to claim that back!).

Anyone have any experience of cancellation? If so, how did it go?

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
One or two on the Tesla Motors forum cancelled back when the Model 3 was first available to order here, perhaps because UK availability turned out to be a bit later than predicted. To the best of my knowledge Tesla just refunded the deposit after a week or two. Tesla don't build cars to order, they just match orders to whatever car happens to be on a ship (used to be you got matched about the time the ship came away from the Panama Canal), so they don't lose anything if someone cancels, other than the effort to match that car to another order before it arrives in the UK.

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
398 Posts
One or two on the Tesla Motors forum cancelled back when the Model 3 was first available to order here, perhaps because UK availability turned out to be a bit later than predicted. To the best of my knowledge Tesla just refunded the deposit after a week or two. Tesla don't build cars to order, they just match orders to whatever car happens to be on a ship (used to be you got matched about the time the ship came away from the Panama Canal), so they don't lose anything if someone cancels, other than the effort to match that car to another order before it arrives in the UK.
One solution would be to use photos of another (identical) car.
Otherwise ask Tesla if your deposit is refundable, if they verbally say yes, ask for confirmation in writing

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have cancelled a tesla order twice. They are obligated under UK law to refund your deposit.

They refunded my first £100 deposit withot quibble but refused to refund the second deposit despite this being in contravention of consumer law in the UK. I had to invoke action via my credit card company to force a refund of the second deposit.

Due to their belligerence, I will not be purchasing any further vehicles from Tesla.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just order and pay £100, you don't pay the rest until a week before delivery. so you should be decided by then. Worst case scenario, you would lose £100. But as already posted you will get the £100 back. You could even delay delivery for up to 6 months if needed.

Also don't forget to use my referral when you do order 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your responses guys.

Looks like I might just pull the trigger and commit £100 to secure August delivery. I'm not too bothered about waiting for a 71 plate, and if I do it'll probably cost me a bigger hit on my trade-in.

You could even delay delivery for up to 6 months if needed.
Do you know how that works? Might be useful if I need an extra few days to liquidate current assets.. :unsure:

Also don't forget to use my referral when you do order 😂
As for a referral code, I'm afraid that will come from my niece whose fault it is that I am in this position. She brought her new M3 round to 'show off', and I was kind of smitten!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Did you ever complete an order and take delivery of any Tesla?
I was not smitten with the build quality for a £50k car nor their zero customer service/courtesy skills.

After personally seeing three examples, two owned by friends and one by a neighbour, and hearing of their "customer service" experiences I decided I wanted, and deserved, better for my money. My two friends have since disposed of theirs, one after only 3 months ownership, the remaining owner (neighbour) still has his, it's been back to Tesla service the last I heard 7 times and still isn't fixed. He says that on two occasions it came out with additional problems that it didn't go in with 🥴 He wants rid of it as soon as his lease allows.

I'm at an age where I don't want, and won't tolerate such hassle or incompetence in my life....especially when handing over £50k of my hard earned cash. Nor will I support businesses who blatently flaunt the law, because they can, and get away with doing so because the vast majority won't stand up for their rights in law.

Im guessing that those who willingly put up with this hassle are company drivers who aren't bothered because ultimately it isn't their money and they must be seen driving a Tesla.

I like the car and the concept, I like that Tesla have been pioneering with the introduction of the transition of EV adoption, for this they are applauded, what I don't like is 'the company', it's ethics and how they treat their loyal customers/supporters with contempt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update to the thread:

I may have been silly, but I pulled the trigger.
I view it not as an order, but instead an 'option not to cancel'.

Next week I am heading into Wales for a few days, and have the loan of a M3 in order to do the trip.
This will determine for the first part if the car lives up to expectations and I am therefore willing to stick with the order.
Then will come the weighing up of reliability and customer service issues, in addition to the financial considerations.

I am well aware that many people have had issues with the car, the company, or both, but I now have close personal contact with three owners/lessees (my Niece included) all of whom have had a positive experience so far. I am of course also aware that everything can be dandy right up until the point something goes wrong...

I probably have a few more questions, but I'll visit a specific forum to ask those!

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
My own view is that people's views may relate to how they assess value. As a lease deal the Model 3 is on a par with some cheaper (to buy outright) other cars, so someone leasing, or paying monthly, may view the car in terms of a comparison with other cars that cost the same sort of monthly payment. Some of these deals do make the Model 3 look like good value, especially for the performance level. Someone buying outright may, as I did, expect a similar level of quality and reliability to any other £50k+ car. My view was that the car was really worth about £30k, in terms of quality, fit and finish, road noise, etc. I suspect that the £50k price was really a £30k car with £20k worth of technology added.

The tech in the car is pretty impressive, couldn't fault the drive train, connectivity, etc at all. I was disappointed with the basic car stuff, though, the stuff that other car manufacturers do a great deal better. What really frustrated me was that the faults with the car were all things that could easily be sorted out, without major changes. It was almost as if all the time and effort had gone into the technology, with the basic stuff like decent NVR, cabin wind noise levels and some aspects of the HMI (wiper control, for example) being overlooked. There were also constant poor quality assurance issues with the software. Every time there was an update there was a pretty good chance that something would break, like the headlights suddenly deciding to point skywards after an update (happened three times to me), or cause AC charging to stop working properly (happened three or four times to me). One thing I learned very early on was how to do a hard reboot of the car systems, as often that was needed to restore functionality. It seemed as if there wasn't proper testing of software updates, with more attention being paid to getting non-essential features added, like more games, and less attention paid to some of the essential stuff.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
@Jeremy Harris , might I enquire as to how long ago it was that you suffered these issues?

Thanks.

I bought my Model 3 LR in November 2019, and had a fairly normal number of issues that needed return visits to the Bristol SC (which for me is around a 5 hour round trip on weekdays). Faults included broken front ball joints (they had been over-torqued during assembly, crushing part of the joint), various chips and scuffs on the paintwork (some visible from the other side of the collection centre), misaligned door windows (never really sorted after several attempts, they were still crooked when I sold the car), water ingress through the drivers door, both rear lights filled up with water and were replaced, water kept getting into the boot (I fixed that myself - as I got fed up with driving to the SC).

I kept the car until earlier this year, and sold it then primarily because last winter was a nightmare and I'd had enough of the irritations. Almost all my driving is at night, and in very dark conditions the auto wipers stop working. There's no wiper stalk, so if it starts to rain heavily or stops raining the wipers need to be turned on or off using the screen. Not that easy, and on a dark night, on narrow, winding, roads, the only safe way to turn the wipers on or off was to pull off the road. I got to be very good at pushing the wash/wipe button to give some wiper function, as that was often the only way to see where it was safe to pull over. I should emphasise that this only really happens when it's very dark. In daytime, or with enough light around at night, the auto wipers aren't too bad. Nothing like as good as those on most cars (because Tesla don't use the standard auto-wiper sensor) but acceptable.

I should finish by saying that it had real potential to be an absolutely superb car. Most of the things I found irritating were things that could have been easily sorted. It was frustrating, more than anything else, because of this. A bit more effort put into sorting out the fit, finish, NVR and overall build quality, and some minor tweaks to the HMI, would really have transformed my view of the car, and I would probably still own it. It never ceased to put a big smile on my face when using the performance, but sadly I found that there were far more times when I was sat swearing at the thing in frustration than there were times when it gave me that big smile. The car I have now is nowhere near as innovative or fun, but it is massively more comfortable, quieter and everything in it just works predictably, all the time.

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
@Jeremy Harris: is there a thread in which you detail which Tesla you had (model, age, etc.)? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about Tesla owners' experiences. It's currently the car at the top of the list for when the Ioniq goes.

Not here, but there's probably stuff on another Tesla forum. The car was a Model 3 LR, with the optional 19" sport wheels. Collected from West Drayton in November 2019. Sold earlier this year and replaced with an I-Pace. Tesla did slightly improve the build quality, notably the made in China Model 3 SR+ seems to be better put together, and have a better paint finish, than the cars that are made in California.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Jeremy Harris , might I enquire as to how long ago it was that you suffered these issues?

Thanks.

I bought my Model 3 LR in November 2019,
Phew, from that I guess yours was a Freemont built car. The car for which I have an "option not to cancel" is an MIC (Made in China) Shanghai built car. It also represents the facelift model, and therefore rhetorically, might this not be a better build quality?

Had @Off-Worlder not asked that question, your post may well have had me reaching for the cancel button right now. o_O

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just for balance, I have a M3LR dec19. Only issue is bit of fogging in one of rear lights which doesn’t bother me, so it hasn’t been to a service centre yet. My dad has a feb20, one of the rear windows was catching on delivery, was fixed, everything else fine. I previously had a 2014 MS which had a few issues in the first 3 months, incl 2 major issues requiring towing. Was then perfectly reliable for the 5.5yrs i had it, but it was clearly not built to a standard you would expect for the price.

M3 is an incomparably better made/executed car than the earlier MS’s. The company is not a shining example of QA execution but I think the vehicle engineering is now good and they’re slowly getting better at QA.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for all your responses guys.

Looks like I might just pull the trigger and commit £100 to secure August delivery. I'm not too bothered about waiting for a 71 plate, and if I do it'll probably cost me a bigger hit on my trade-in.

Do you know how that works? Might be useful if I need an extra few days to liquidate current assets.. :unsure:

As for a referral code, I'm afraid that will come from my niece whose fault it is that I am in this position. She brought her new M3 round to 'show off', and I was kind of smitten!
Yes, you just email [email protected] and ask them to put a hold on your delivery. You will see that they have as it shows in your account to click 'im now ready' to change your mind and be allocated a delivery slot.

I picked mine up today and I've got to say the MIC model 3 seems better than my Fremont built model 3. Believe it or not I can't find anything wrong with it, no panel gap issues, no things hanging off, no paint issues nothing. And it is a SR+ and it came with mats!! It was even clean, as opposed to my 2019 M3 that was stuck in a corner absolutely covered in muck.
Oh no I did find something, they didn't put the granny charger in the car. Sorted within to seconds. Will go out for a third inspection tomorrow 😃

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I picked mine up today and I've got to say my 2019 M3 compared to this one is amazing. Believe it or not I can't find anything wrong with it, no panel gap issues, no things hanging off, no paint issues nothing. And it is a SR+ and it came with mats!!
Oh no I did find something, they didn't put the granny charger in the car. Sorted within to seconds. Will go out for a third inspection tomorrow
Lol, I'll take it that you mean your new SR+ is amazing compared to the 2019 model ;)

Encouraging to hear, thank you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts