Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our LEAF went for its first service at the famous Fred Coupe last month, and while it was there I asked about the software update that Nissan had just released to fix the grabby brake issue. It couldn't be applied at the time due to some of their equipment being faulty, so it went back last week and the update was applied. I have to say it has fixed the issue. The car now stops smoothly and queueing in stop-start traffic is no longer embarrassing! It's certainly worthwhile calling into a dealer for the update if you have the grabby brakes problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got a '14 Acenta, which has just started 'grabbing', so read these posts with interest, - but when I called my nearest Dealer (Wellington Nissan) they weren't aware of any update ?

Can anyone give me any more info, so that I can pass it on to them ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our Leaf is in this week having its grabbing brakes looked at. Makes driving in stop start traffic very tricky. @Darren Smith Any ideas on how progress is going?

Reactions: tokenpom

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I've got a '14 Acenta, which has just started 'grabbing', so read these posts with interest, - but when I called my nearest Dealer (Wellington Nissan) they weren't aware of any update ?

Can anyone give me any more info, so that I can pass it on to them ?

Thanks !
The update is apparently Software Patch NTB14017

·
Registered
98 Posts
The update is apparently Software Patch NTB14017
That's fantastic, thanks very much for that !

I'm currently talking to GH on Nissan's @NissanEV_UK account, who has just asked for my email, and the name of my local dealer, so hopefully we will also make some progress there, too, - but if not, I now have something I can throw at them !

Cheers !

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's the full gen courtesy of Vodafrog on Leaftalk:

2013 LEAF - Technical Bulletin from Nissan
, I will be booking mine (2013 LEAF Tekna) into a local dealer to investigate and resolve.........

SB 2013 LEAF; Brake Pedal Sensitive at Speeds Below 15 MPH
Summary of NTB14017:
If YOU CONFIRM Customer may experience some brake sensitivity at speeds below 15 mph. The customer may experience this issue while in stop-and-go traffic conditions. And No DTCs are present in the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit.* If DTCs are present, refer to the specific section of the applicable Electronic Service Manual (ESM) and diagnose first. ACTION 1. Refer to step 14 in the SERVICE PROCEDURE to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle you are working on. 2. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit with CONSULT III plus (CIII plus). Please see this bulletin for further details.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Leaf was booked in for next week to have this software patch - but the dealer called today to cancel as the patch has caused a problem with one of their customer's cars. The patch has now been put on hold by Nissan, as there may be a safety issue.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My Leaf was booked in for next week to have this software patch - but the dealer called today to cancel as the patch has caused a problem with one of their customer's cars. The patch has now been put on hold by Nissan, as there may be a safety issue.
That's worrying - I have had the update and the brakes have been great so far. Do I need to invest in an anchor and piece of rope :eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
That's worrying - I have had the update and the brakes have been great so far. Do I need to invest in an anchor and piece of rope :eek:
I would, it's what I've been using since August. "Chocks away" is an actual meaningful phrase in my life.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Had my car serviced at the weekend and asked for the brake fix to be applied. Service manager said he didn't believe it actually made any difference and was more of a placebo, but I asked for it to be done anyway.

Service cost £99 (which seems fair). I asked for the tyres to be rotated and was told thaey didn't advise that, but would check them - turns out the fronts still have plenty of tread anyway even after 17000 miles. They also knew to check the steering column (no fault found on mine - 03/14 build).

Brakes since the update are definitely better, although it's early days, but typically towards the end of my morning commute after some twisty back roads where I always use B mode, I find myself queuing for a short while where they tend to grab - and they didn't do it this morning.
Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Reactions: AndrewR and Paul

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
In addition, has it always displayed the Zero Emission 'e' logo on the SatNav screen on startup, or is this a feature of the new software?
(Have I really never noticed that in 9 months?)

·
Super Moderator
853 Posts
If you just have the brake software patch, have people had to pay? (i.e. if it's not done as part of a service?)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I asked my dealer to apply the brake update but apparently there was no such thing.

I find that stamping on the brakes a few times solves the braking problem for a day or two.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I might be convincing myself that i have a problem...

I have noticed that occasionally when sat in traffic sometimes the brakes work more effectively than others. Generally just coasting on the brake to hold the car from creeping, i'll adjust my foot a few mm to bring the car to a stop and i'll abruptly stop dead, other times the car will gently come to a halt.

To be honest - might just be me getting used to the car. But reading this i'm convinced the sky is falling down. (not really).

Is this what others have experienced?

Simon

1 - 20 of 87 Posts