Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking closely at the eNiro 2 long range but unable to see one in the flesh so to speak. I have tried 3 dealers but the first opportunity will not be for another 4 weeks.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping that someone who has had delivery might be able to answer for me please. So here goes -

Does the 2 spec include wing/door mirrors that adjust downwards to enable better parking?

Does the 2 spec allow you to enter the EV button screen, proceed to charge management and ultimately adapt the charging current to minimum/low maybe using the portable option. In effect this enables you to draw surplus from solar panels below 1.4kW and charge at around 700W?

I have asked the dealers this last question but they have not been able to answer. I know it to be an option with the 4spec and believe it to be the case with the 3.

Any answers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
I am collecting mine tomorrow, so may have answers soon, if nobody else steps in first...
I've never heard of the low charging current option in a car (exacpt a 3kW/7kW switch, possibly). That would be interesting for me, with solar panels and an inverter limit of 5kW.
In another thread, someone wants to know whether it supports wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,157 Posts
I am looking closely at the eNiro 2 long range but unable to see one in the flesh so to speak. I have tried 3 dealers but the first opportunity will not be for another 4 weeks.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping that someone who has had delivery might be able to answer for me please. So here goes -

Does the 2 spec include wing/door mirrors that adjust downwards to enable better parking?

Does the 2 spec allow you to enter the EV button screen, proceed to charge management and ultimately adapt the charging current to minimum/low maybe using the portable option. In effect this enables you to draw surplus from solar panels below 1.4kW and charge at around 700W?

I have asked the dealers this last question but they have not been able to answer. I know it to be an option with the 4spec and believe it to be the case with the 3.

Any answers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Re the low power AC charge setting, I suspect this might depend on which on board charger (OBC) it is equipped with. If it is 3phase 11kW then it’s pretty unlikely I think.
If it is the single phase 7kW then you are in with a fighting chance. As this is a bargain basement model I think it will likely be the 7kW one. So it’s a good chance it might support the High/Medium/Low adjustable charge power setting.

It’s a waste of time asking dealers about anything beyond how many wheels the car has:rolleyes:

I don’t think anyone on this group actually has that version Eniro yet. It will be interesting to hear all about it soon. The ~600W minimum charge rate is superb on my 2020 '4' along with 4kWp solar panels and Zappi. Peter.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
945 Posts
FWIW I have an 11 kW OBC and do have the option to set the charging power for AC charging. I have no idea though about the actual power intensity for each setting.

As far as I understand though, there are chargers (Zappi?) that are compatible with solar panels and can automatically throttle the charging output to whatever the panels deliver at that moment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am collecting mine tomorrow, so may have answers soon, if nobody else steps in first...
I've never heard of the low charging current option in a car (exacpt a 3kW/7kW switch, possibly). That would be interesting for me, with solar panels and an inverter limit of 5kW.
In another thread, someone wants to know whether it supports wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
Thanks Anahata and yes this is certainly an option that works. I tried it myself on a test drive in a Niro 4 and I was charging with surplus solar of 700W. It is a subject covered in this and other forums by Prawlin (Peter) and other users. If you are interested I can send you the links. It is something that would work well for me but I want to be sure that the 2 has the capability. Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re the low power AC charge setting, I suspect this might depend on which on board charger (OBC) it is equipped with. If it is 3phase 11kW then it’s pretty unlikely I think.
If it is the single phase 7kW then you are in with a fighting chance. As this is a bargain basement model I think it will likely be the 7kW one. So it’s a good chance it might support the High/Medium/Low adjustable charge power setting.

It’s a waste of time asking dealers about anything beyond how many wheels the car has:rolleyes:

I don’t think anyone on this group actually has that version Eniro yet. It will be interesting to hear all about it soon. The ~600W minimum charge rate is superb on my 2020 '4' along with 4kWp solar panels and Zappi. Peter.
Thanks Peter and yes we have had discussions on this before. I am working on the assumption that the 2 that carries a single phase 7kW charge capability but just want to be sure that your detailed step by step guide to access it is something that I can do equally well with the 2 as the 4 I tried previously. Cheers

·
Registered
581 Posts
It is the 7kW single phase. That information is published on the Detailed specification page on the Kia UK web site. But no specific details about lowering the charge current, nor anything about dipping the door mirror while reversing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
FWIW I have an 11 kW OBC and do have the option to set the charging power for AC charging. I have no idea though about the actual power intensity for each setting.

As far as I understand though, there are chargers (Zappi?) that are compatible with solar panels and can automatically throttle the charging output to whatever the panels deliver at that moment.
The 11kW will not allow charging below 1.4kW even though there is the option to lower the setting. Zappi cannot override that - brilliant charger though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts

I think it is unlikely that the 2 would have dipping mirrors. It is not available on my 4. I think you need the 4+ for this to be available.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 11kW will not allow charging below 1.4kW even though there is the option to lower the setting. Zappi cannot override that - brilliant charger though

That supports what Peter is saying Chris about the three phase charger in the 4+. However he has a 4 spec model and can charge below 1.4kW. I have tried it myself on the 4 and it works but the tweak is not covered in the manual nor is it understood by the dealerships I have spoken with. My quest is to see if it can be done in the 2 spec model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That supports what Peter is saying Chris about the three phase charger in the 4+. However he has a 4 spec model and can charge below 1.4kW. I have tried it myself on the 4 and it works but the tweak is not covered in the manual nor is it understood by the dealerships I have spoken with. My quest is to see if it can be done in the 2 spec model.
My money is on the 2 being able to :)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I think it is unlikely that the 2 would have dipping mirrors. It is not available on my 4. I think you need the 4+ for this to be available.
Correct. It's tied to having the memory seats for some undiscernible reason.

·
Registered
581 Posts
OK, car has arrived! Answers, to the best of my knowledge:
  • The manual mentions nothing about dipping the door mirrors while in reverse, and I can't get the car to do it, so I think that's a no, as stated by others above.
  • The Type 2 charging cable does not have the pins for 3 phase charging, so it's 7kW max (also implies by the figures in the manual), and I can confirm that the 2 LR does support three levels of charging current. The lowest takes 2.2 kW which means I can quite easily charge from my home solar power on a bright day without drawing from the grid. I need to reinstate the jumper which I removed from my charging point to limit it to 3.6kW, so I can charge at 7kW if I'm in a hurry, and when I've done that I'll see what actual charging speeds the car reports at all three selectable levels. On the menu they are just low, medium and high, but while charging the dashboard display seems to show an actual measurement. Combined with being able to set a maximum charge limit (any multiple of 10%) I'm very pleased with this.
  • This wasn't asked here, but in another thread - Wireless Android Auto (called "phone projection" in the car menu) is supported by the car but not by my phone. However it seemed to start up effortlessly with a USB connection and Google maps navigated me all the way home from the dealer (about 50 miles) flawlessly. As I got nowhere with AA on my LEAF with the same phone, That's a winner and I'm not bothered about not being able to use the WiFi.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anahata first and foremost congrats on your new car. Early days but you seemed pleased with it. Thank you for sharing this information about the car. It’s very helpful. If you get the opportunity would it be possible that you can confirm that you can get this screen please when you enter charge settings? I copied this from a post from Prawlin (Peter) who kindly posted a step guide to charging from solar in the eNiro at a rate below 1.4 kWh. I hope that he doesn’t mind. Thank you.
Font Display device Gadget Audio equipment Technology

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can confirm that the 2 LR does support three levels of charging current. The lowest takes 2.2 kW which means I can quite easily charge from my home solar power on a bright day without drawing from the grid. I need to reinstate the jumper which I removed from my charging point to limit it to 3.6kW, so I can charge at 7kW if I'm in a hurry, and when I've done that I'll see what actual charging speeds the car reports at all three selectable levels. On the menu they are just low, medium and high, but while charging the dashboard display seems to show an actual measurement. Combined with being able to set a maximum charge limit (any multiple of 10%) I'm very pleased with this.
It would be very useful to know what charging rates you get from a 7kw point. I am using a 3.6 kw point (originally installed for my previous Leaf) and I thought I got around 1.8 kw on the slowest setting.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Anahata first and foremost congrats on your new car. Early days but you seemed pleased with it. Thank you for sharing this information about the car. It’s very helpful. If you get the opportunity would it be possible that you can confirm that you can get this screen please when you enter charge settings? I copied this from a post from Prawlin (Peter) who kindly posted a step guide to charging from solar in the eNiro at a rate below 1.4 kWh. I hope that he doesn’t mind. Thank you.
View attachment 148345
Yes, then you tap the screen on either "AC charger (station)" (meaning type 2 connector, I think) or "AC charger (portable)" (which I think means 3 pin granny charger) and you get the three options "Minimum", "Maximum" and something else (not what I said above.) I have no idea how it knows which cable you are using.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, then you tap the screen on either "AC charger (station)" (meaning type 2 connector, I think) or "AC charger (portable)" (which I think means 3 pin granny charger) and you get the three options "Minimum", "Maximum" and something else (not what I said above.) I have no idea how it knows which cable you are using.
Thanks Anahata. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts