Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 80A fuse on my meter. Western power apparently no longer upgrade to 100A fuse (as mentioned in previous threads). My install is due next week. I wondered if anyone either had an install refused due to having an 80A fuse or whether they had to have a charger downrated (e.g. to 3.5W) ??? Or is 80A generally fine ??? (Normal house, no electric shower and GCH).

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,743 Posts
In a normal house as you describe the 80A supply will be fine. In any case, these days there are EV chargers that have a device built in that monitors the maximum meter intake and can actively limit the car supply in real-time to protect the company fuse if it detects that the total draw from a house is taking it towards the limit. But that will not be needed in your case.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
In general it should be fine, it all depends on the maximum demand estimate the person doing the installation makes. With no other high current loads, like an electric shower or night storage heaters, the chances are that 80 A is perfectly adequate.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It’ll be fine. I have a 60A fuse and the installer didn’t even ask about it. If they had, I would’ve just pointed out that our only large electrical appliance is the oven as everything else is gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies on this. Just to update the install went ahead today with no problems. The installers didn't bat an eyelid at any of the things I was worrying about!.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Stonewashed Blue, Heatpump, Ankoya Alloys.
236 Posts
Good result. I was going to add that we have an 80A fuse and n issues except the need for Andersen to put an adaptive fuse into the unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts