Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember the 1st time I sat in my new e-Niro how the dashboard materials (piano black, aluminium bezels) gave me a sensation of quality.

But living in the south of Spain and driving a car of which the inside does its best to emulate a mirror is not an ideal combination. Even with sunglasses on, the glare off the piano black and aluminium is annoying or even downright dangerous. My wife is prone to migraine and the flashes of light off the dashboard are a possible trigger to setting off an episode.

So, I am looking at having all the shiny materials wrapped in a matte black, non reflective vinyl. But I wonder if it'll be successful and how long it'll actually last.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Let us know how it goes.
I'm not a fan of the shiny black as it just attracts dust and fingerprints.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,916 Posts
I share your worry over the length of the life of vinyl wrap. The dash gets very hot even in the UK if left in the sun and that heat can cause vinyl wrap to wrinkle. Are there not fluffy covers for the e-Niro? Whilst of debatable taste they are effective and easy to remove/clean and non-permanent.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
I remember the 1st time I sat in my new e-Niro how the dashboard materials (piano black, aluminium bezels) gave me a sensation of quality.

But living in the south of Spain and driving a car of which the inside does its best to emulate a mirror is not an ideal combination. Even with sunglasses on, the glare off the piano black and aluminium is annoying or even downright dangerous. My wife is prone to migraine and the flashes of light off the dashboard are a possible trigger to setting off an episode.

So, I am looking at having all the shiny materials wrapped in a matte black, non reflective vinyl. But I wonder if it'll be successful and how long it'll actually last.
If you buy quality vinyl wrap and apply it properly, it should last for years.

I vinyl wrapped some bits on an old car using 3M Matt Carbon wrap (yeah, I know!), and it didn’t peel or anything in the 3 years I owned the car.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
627 Posts
Most modern cars have passenger air bags that deploy through weakness designed into the dash board.

I have read a few posts about people wrapping their dash boards and wondered if it would interfere with the passenger airbag deploying in the event of an accident.

I would be very careful regarding which areas you are before applying a wrap to your dash.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wrapping the piano black is commonplace among pre-refresh model 3 owners. For the 3 there are pre-cut kits you can buy, stick-on plastic "shell" covers also, and also plenty of car wrapping services will very happily do the interior for you (as interior trim pieces can often use small off-cuts of vinyl left over from bigger jobs) for a price. I've no idea of any in spain, however, but contacting a local wrapping service should easily get what you want.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
Most modern cars have passenger air bags that deploy through weakness designed into the dash board.

I have read a few posts about people wrapping their dash boards and wondered if it would interfere with the passenger airbag deploying in the event of an accident.

I would be very careful regarding which areas you are before applying a wrap to your dash.
I think the wrapping target here is the shiny plastic trim, not the whole dashboard.

It’s a good point though, I cringe when I see seat covers fitted over in seat side airbags, unless they’ve been designed to have the same weak points for the airbag to deploy, there’s a risk it won’t work properly when you need it to.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
214 Posts
I would have thought that rubbing it down with some 800 grade wet and dry paper would give a nice matt finish, and obviate any potential airbag deployment problems.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have thought that rubbing it down with some 800 grade wet and dry paper would give a nice matt finish, and obviate any potential airbag deployment problems.
oooh, that just sounds scary...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
A company I work with applies vinyl wrap on the external superstructure of work boats as an alternative to repainting. They may not get as hot as the inside of a car, but stand up well to the marine environment, definitely a lot harsher than the inside of a car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts