Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and watched a lot of stuff recently about the huge number of stupidly cheap little "Low Speed Electric Vehicles" sold in China. These can be ordered and shipped to the UK for less than £3000!

Has anyone else done this? Or might I be the first to give it a go?

Any problems? Legal / registration issues?

Giles

·
Registered
586 Posts
You could struggle with spare parts supply!! More seriously you’d probably need an IVA check and I doubt some of them would pass it!

Some of their bigger EVs are more interesting, I’d punt for one of those if you’re going to pay shipping! Like a Nio ES6.

Cheers

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wouldn't if I were you.

I imported a Fiat 126 from Jersey(!) many years ago. The DVLC wanted a 'type approval certificate' from Fiat before they would register it. I think something odd from China would cause even more problems.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
As above, I wouldn't but for different reasons. These devices could come in under the L7e-C regulations prior to BREXIT (if that ever happens no one knows what the changes will be) which are the regs used by such devices as the late unlamented G-Wiz. There are some tests required which you'd expect them to pass with the exception of headlights.
Bluntly these devices are cheap and nasty, dangerous in the event of an accident, and will have virtually no support in the UK. As a run around for private land maybe, but for the roads try a cheap Zoe instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could struggle with spare parts supply!! More seriously you’d probably need an IVA check and I doubt some of them would pass it!

Some of their bigger EVs are more interesting, I’d punt for one of those if you’re going to pay shipping! Like a Nio ES6.

Cheers
Thanks, I see what you mean.

I suppose I am just fascinated by getting a working "city car" for such a low price.

There are several companies making REALLY cheap little runabouts, like this one:

Low cost Chinese electric city car

I am tempted. I would like to find out if there is any way that the "powers that be" could just refuse to register it though.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
There are several companies making REALLY cheap little runabouts, like this one:

Low cost Chinese electric city car
3.8kWh lead acid battery.
Won't go far with the heater on.

I am tempted. I would like to find out if there is any way that the "powers that be" could just refuse to register it though
They won't refuse per se. But you'd have to get it through an IVA (or is it SVA now) and the mods they demand to achieve that could be fairly cheap or flipping expensive.
If you've got a few grand that you can live without then you could take a punt on it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I would like to find out if there is any way that the "powers that be" could just refuse to register it though.
They wouldn't refuse out of spite but due to it not meeting the regs, see here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Japanese domestic market petrol car (it is a "kei car" Mitsubishi Pajero Mini). I bought that via an auction in Japan and had it shipped over. The company that handled the importing just had to do some fairly obvious stuff (speedo in MPH, rear fog light etc). It's an amazing little car though, had it 6 years and 30,000 miles, totally reliable. 650cc turbo 4 cylinder engine! And 4x4 for when it snows.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Be better going for something like this if you want a small off the wall EV

1 - 10 of 10 Posts