Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just updated the polar instant app, which now includes rapid chargers and the pricing shows as follows

That's much more reasonable I think what's your thoughts ?

Jt

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I am fascinated why they are still charging per 30 mins though instead of switching to a fairer per kWh model.

·
Banned
961 Posts
I am fascinated why they are still charging per 30 mins though instead of switching to a fairer per kWh model.
I still think per 30mins is the fairest way for rapid chargers. Keeps people away who want to use them to charge at 7kW or trickle that last few percent into a Leaf at some excruciatingly slow rate.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Paul did you download the update, there is a new version, it shows rapids in MK for me
Must have JUST come out!

I think we all know the profit, sorry, answer to that one. ;)

I still think per 30mins is the fairest way for rapid chargers. Keeps people away who want to use them to charge at 7kW or trickle that last few percent into a Leaf at some excruciatingly slow rate.
Charge per kWh, limit to 30 minutes (stop charge). Simples! (Paul C may like this, he's keen on 30 minute breaks. ;)) :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we all know the profit, sorry, answer to that one. ;)
However it does look like they listened when people said £7 is too much for a charge, £3.50 is much more reasonable, and (hopefully its not a mistake) at that price I would use them if there were not free options available

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Paul did you download the update, there is a new version, it shows rapids in MK for me
Apparently there are three rapids inside 20 miles of my house. I can think of six ChargeMaster rapids within MK alone, and a couple more close by.

Pricing is the lower price for me too though, so that's welcome progress.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the default search radius appears to be 3 miles, just use the map, I can see a lot more in MK

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
the default search radius appears to be 3 miles, just use the map, I can see a lot more in MK
I updated it in the options to 20 miles. Does that not change the search radius for "near me"?! Stupid app. :(

Even on the map it's not up to date, for example one near the Coachway / M1 is not on there, but the close-by BMW location is.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Much better pricing.

Still no Android app though...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone tried getting a response if twitter from them. :D:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
£3.75 much more reasonable. It's only going to deliver about £1.50 of electric but if you need the charge would pay a little for convenience. I would like to see around £3 though and automatic switch off after 30min (you can configure on screen if they haven't disabled that feature) and reliability issues fixed as well as ice'ing.
I am currently while i write this in the process of a free rapid charge at nissan though... that's the competition they have!

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
£3.50 is much more reasonable, and (hopefully its not a mistake) at that price I would use them if there were not free options available
That's only ~10kWh per 30 minutes in the Model S (assuming you have the dual charger fitted) delivering just ~37 extra miles (NEDC). In reality that will be ~30 'real' miles at 12p per mile.

Looks to me as if you'll need an hour and £7.50 to get to the next rapid charging location assuming it's within 60 miles :(

I guess the 'positive' outcome will be that anyone incapable of 'rapid' charging won't use these locations at all unless they are in dire need. So it does have the side effect of freeing up the chargers for the Leafs, ZOEs and i3s with CCS.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts