Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Corsa-E since Christmas but I've noticed some charging behavior recently which I'm pretty sure is new.

Basically on AC charge the car only seems to charge when it's locked. Charging pauses if I unlock.

On DC charging the charge only seems to start if the car is locked, once charging is underway it continues if I unlock the car. I was standing at an Instavolt charger a few weeks back trying to work out why no current was flowing. Because I was standing close to the car and it has hands free locking is was unlocked.

I've got central locking, so the locking in question is probably that of the charge port.

Anyone else noticed a change?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
seems a bit odd if it wont charge when unlocked, what if you want to charge while sat in the car or doing odd jobs like cleaning/hoovering it etc. Or even jsut parked on your drive or in your garage unlocked... However many cars do use the "unlock" state change to pause charging...

My b250e for instance woudl stop if you unlocked the car, but would then continue again after a short while if you didnt pull the cable out. infact, on that car, the only way to release the charging cable was to unlock the car.

Perhaps its some interaction with the keyless entry? If it sees you approach it triggers an unlock event and that pauses charging?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,861 Posts
That does seem kinda weird and ridiculous! A Leaf just charges....as long as the car is turned off when you start charging, nothing changes until you decide to stop the charge...

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Do type 2 LEAF's also do that? Or have they altered things due to the differences between type 1 and 2?

IE with type 1, to stop the charge you press the button on the handle... with type 2 there is no button and the socket is locked while charging.

·
2,861 Posts
Do type 2 LEAF's also do that? Or have they altered things due to the differences between type 1 and 2?

IE with type 1, to stop the charge you press the button on the handle... with type 2 there is no button and the socket is locked while charging.
Is there not still a button on the dashboard and key? Thought there was on the one I test drove.

The Leaf is the only Type 2 car I've seen that doesn't have a Stop Charge button right next to the Type 2 connector, which is surely the only sensible way to do it!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
On the Corsa-e, charging will stop if any door EXCEPT the drivers door is unlocked. The way around this is to select 'driver door unlocking only' in the vehicle settings. With this option selected, when you approach the car with proximity locking or you press the unlock on the fob or touch the driver door handle, only the drivers door will unlock and charging will continue. If you want to then unlock all the other doors, a second press on the fob or the driver door touchpad will unlock all the other doors. If you've used proximity unlocking, a press on the door lock button under the infotainment screen will also unlock the other doors.

Simply put, unlocking any passenger door, interrupts the charge.

·
2,861 Posts
On the Corsa-e, charging will stop if any door EXCEPT the drivers door is unlocked. The way around this is to select 'driver door unlocking only' in the vehicle settings. With this option selected, when you approach the car with proximity locking or you press the unlock on the fob or touch the driver door handle, only the drivers door will unlock and charging will continue. If you want to then unlock all the other doors, a second press on the fob or the driver door touchpad will unlock all the other doors. If you've used proximity unlocking, a press on the door lock button under the infotainment screen will also unlock the other doors.

Simply put, unlocking any passenger door, interrupts the charge.
Is it just me that thinks it's ridiculous to link the Stop Charge command to a door opening? Unlock cable maybe is okay to link to unlocking the car, but I can think of far more reasons to not stop a charge when opening a door than to stop one....cleaning the car, sitting in the car whilst waiting to charge, getting something in/out of the car.... none of those need the charge to stop...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Charging our Corsa-e this evening, at a PodPoint 50kw charger, it started charging fine when the car was still unlocked and the boot was open. No issues while unlocked, unless the charge point read out was mistaken.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,033 Posts
Charging our Corsa-e this evening, at a PodPoint 50kw charger, it started charging fine when the car was still unlocked and the boot was open. No issues while unlocked, unless the charge point read out was mistaken.
There may be some changes since the ECU updates with regards to DC charging. Certainly still applies for AC charging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts