• Less so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it has helped to make me more health conscious but has that been offset by using my car more than perhaps I should do?
Obviously if every vehicle was an EV we would all benefit from breathing cleaner air but can my one have had any significance to me?
Mentally, driving an EV has made me a calmer driver because it's a pleasure to do so but has that been offset by finding myself obsessed by the whole going electric transition?
On balance I like to think it has made me healthier so that has to be a plus.
What do you think, has it made you healthier?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Probably not - when I had the ICE, I would use my bicycle for short journeys because of the saving in fuel that the ICE would use. Now I have the Leaf, because the fuel cost is so much less, I just use the Leaf, and the bike stays parked in the garage.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The highest concentration of benzene fumes which are carcinogenic are found in the car. Noise pollution causes stress.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Probably made no difference at all to my own health but hopefully the lack of exhaust fumes from my car will be helping others.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Probably not - when I had the ICE, I would use my bicycle for short journeys because of the saving in fuel that the ICE would use. Now I have the Leaf, because the fuel cost is so much less, I just use the Leaf, and the bike stays parked in the garage.
No EV yet but I was wondering about the impact one might have on car usage patterns, except in my case it's also the guilt involved in using a car for such short journeys, not just the fuel costs.

There's been some research on the impact of electric bicycles on users, and there the evidence is that there is little impact on levels of activity as mileage tends to go up in compensation. When my bike arrives I'll let you know.. At least it's assuaging my electric itch and if I wait another year to replace my current car there should be more choice available.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Stress free comfortable driving, feel a lot better for it, not as tired after long journeys.
Ride my bike just as much but for recreation only.
Air inside vehicle much noticable cleaner and stink free, how do I know? Because I never noticed the fumes from other vehicles before I got an EV, now I'm always hitting the air recirculation button on the AC when driving through town, Petrol and Diesel vehicles stink to high heaven! :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definitely working to my advantage as I'm driving far, far less than I used to.

Whereas in the past I'd drive up to 20k miles a year I'm now expecting to do between 5-8K and cycling the shortfall instead. There are specific intentions behind this modal change, I'm training hard for a fixed objective, but if I did my usual motoring miles I would still have to do the cycling miles on top, so I'm using commuting miles to cycle rather than drive which has been quite pleasurable during the C19 lockdown with the roads being so quiet.

So far I've lost over 5st in weight, eat better food to provide my fuel and sleep a consistent 7 hours a night. Would that be the same if I drove everywhere? Almost, bar the weight loss, but the change to a BEV definitely made me re-evaluate what was important in my life, so acted as the catalyst to the changes I have made.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
In that case, you're not driving fast enough !
There are very few roads where a minimum speed limit applies and even fewer where birdsong might be audible.

If driving at that speed there would be very little increased drag caused by having the windows open and the aircon system can easily be switched off when windows have been opened.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So much for veggie being healthier then :ROFLMAO:

(TBH I have found going vegetarian has made keeping my weight down a bit easier.)
Massive motorcycle accident. Lucky to be alive.
At one stage I didn't think I'd ever walk again, let alone ride a bicycle the kind of distances I ride now.
When the deprssion kicked in, which it did many times as operations weren't successful, or only achieved limited results, I was drinking ridiculous quantities of beer and spirits every day and ballooned massively.
At one point I was over 23 stones and that was still the case until only recently.
You can still be a fat b*****d on a vegan or vegetarian diet if you make the wrong food choices.

Oddly enough getting the I-Pace was one of the better things I've done recently, it's calmed me down, helped me to focus, allowed me to manage myself and my work life far more efficiently. I used to detest sitting in traffic jams, would get riled beyond relief, but now, in the right car I take it all in my stride, relax and realise that you can't change things outside of your control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My EV journey has started with e-bikes.
Getting out and about on highways and byways has definitely improved my fitness in both mind and body.
The ''Lightbulb'' moment of the wonders of e-power has resulted in me placing an order for an EV..

Even though e-bikes assist, you still get a good workout and likely explore places you wouldn't otherwise see.

Not sure if the EV car will do much for me mentally or physically at the moment, but I feel positive about the prospect, so perhaps it will !

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
TBH the whole EV thing is making me less mentally healthy - I want one, I have been convinced I need one to help save the human race, and yet due to profiteering, and a general lack of manufacturers deciding to build great EVs rather than just good ones, I have to spend hours trawling Autotrader and Ebay, just in case there's a bargain to be had !!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not to mention defeating the air conditioning. :)
Having cut my BEV teeth on an iOn, aircon is neither bothered with nor missed. Have added an ENV200 40kWh 7-seater to the family BEV stable: get amazing 174 miles range fully charged because of not bothering with aircon. In either car, it's possible to operate cabin fan without heat/cooling - and have no noticeable drain on the battery. Love having gone electric. Oldies in family have electric bikes too, and they get used. After getting first BEV we ended up installing solar panels, so both vehicles run on sunshine, weather permitting! As a family, we're healthier in the sense that we're all so much more aware of our use of the planet's resources. Also love hearing birds sing as we drive along leafy lanes. Now notice how stinky fossile burners are. And our grandson has Asperger's, and he prefers going in the 'quiet car' to being driven in a fossile burner. :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
TBH the whole EV thing is making me less mentally healthy - I want one, I have been convinced I need one to help save the human race, and yet due to profiteering, and a general lack of manufacturers deciding to build great EVs rather than just good ones, I have to spend hours trawling Autotrader and Ebay, just in case there's a bargain to be had !!!
Lol. This is me too! We have two 'mostly' EV's (Chevy Volts), but I still want a Tesla! I just need them to be £20k cheaper!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts