Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a seven seater suitable for towing a caravan and wondered if Nissan has intention of introducing a 64 kWh battery version of the EN200 which might well then match our requirements?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The e-NV200 has a maximum towing rating of 450kg.
EDIT: their website says up to 410kg depending on configuration, as the 7 seater has more weight in the seats then the towing capacity may be lower.

For towing a caravan with a battery EV there are very limited choices at the moment, and you’re probably looking at Tesla vehicles to do it well.
There are some hybrids that have a decent towing capacity, but obviously the very short range of their batteries means that you’ll likely only get the benefits of the regenerative braking on journeys with your caravan.
The next couple of years may bring vehicles to suit your needs, fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
11,962 Posts
seven seater suitable for towing a caravan
As far as I know that combination limits you to a Tesla Model X.

The upcoming Model Y will also seat 7. It isn't out yet and we don't know the tow rating.

Outlander PHEV can tow 1500kg but only seats 5. Fuel economy when towing will be dismal.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the news are a new 150kw battery that will be first fitted in the new SUV than a 200kw battery that is being developed with a charging time similar to the 24kw Leaf on a rapid charger (30-40min).
Similar to 24 and 30kw batteries the 62kw is transitional and won't last more than a couple years.
When this will become available is anybody's guess.

If you look back the 30 and 40kw series didn't last more than a couple years

·
Super Moderator
11,962 Posts
Tesla Cybertruck will be able to tow 10,000 - 14,000lb. American. That is enough for an American horse trailer with living quarters.

4,500kg - 6,350kg if the UK version gets the same ratings. That puts the Cybertruck in Cat C1 and C1E for towing.

MOTs might be interesting too. MOT Class 4 is for commercials up to 3,000kg Gross. Class 7 is up to 3,500 kg. Over 3,500kg needs an HGV test.

Tow rating may require a tachograph. (There are a few exceptions. EVs are exempt within 50km of home)

Tesla may have to down plate the car so it is legal to drive and tow on B+E. Down plating would also remove the tachograph requirement.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Tesla Cybertruck will be able to tow 10,000 - 14,000lb. American. That is enough for an American horse trailer with living quarters.

4,500kg - 6,350kg if the UK version gets the same ratings. That puts the Cybertruck in Cat C1 and C1E for towing.

MOTs might be interesting too. MOT Class 4 is for commercials up to 3,000kg Gross. Class 7 is up to 3,500 kg. Over 3,500kg needs an HGV test.

Tow rating may require a tachograph. (There are a few exceptions. EVs are exempt within 50km of home)

Tesla may have to down plate the car so it is legal to drive and tow on B+E. Down plating would also remove the tachograph requirement.

EM tweeted that they consider a smaller version at some point but that is likely to be some years away.

Probably best to book a hotel or take a tent!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All and thanks for the information and taking time to post.
It would seem that from the EN200 specs stated so far, its not to be upto the task, even with a higher rated battery. As to wether it's down to battery size, motor torque, drive train, chassis strength or combination of all one can only guess.
I perhaps should have stated that currently we have a Renault trafic to tow the caravan with and indeed to carry a motorbike in at the same time in order to attend classic off road motorcycle sport over several weekends during the summer months. Currently the Trafic is laid up for the winter while our Nissan Leaf fulfills all our other transport needs.
The thought in seeking a seven seater EV that's able to tow as well is that we could trade both the Trafic and Leaf in to resort to just one vehicle so reducing our dependency altogether upon Diesel. I hope you'll forgive me still purchasing the odd gallon of petrol for the motorbike!
A modified Cyber truck sounds perfect if a motorbike would fit inside although from pictures seen so far it appears unlikely.
Interesting that a 150kWh battery is on the cards as well. Now that would be something. Wouldn't it be great for V2H purposes during winter months too!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Sadly the EV market is going to take a while to get to the edge cases like 7-seaters with caravan towing specs as that’s a small part of the market that they probably wouldn’t see return of investment for in the short term.
The manufacturers just seem to be desperately trying to get the run of the mill saloon and SUV cars built at the moment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think the eNV200 is really unlikely to get any updates now. The base van is more than a decade old - Nissan have stopped selling the diesel NV200, their small diesel van is a rebadged Kangoo now.

It still sells from a lack of any competition, and 40kwh is more than enough for most small van uses.

I'm really hoping for more EV commercials to come along, because I really want a combi/MPV one too. Transporter/Dispatch kind of size, 5+ seats, 60kwh+ battery and I'm there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts