Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a regular user of Superchargers but have seen online discussion of late suggesting that pair sharing behaviour has changed, so I wondered if any of the road warriors have noticed anything different in the past month or two? The suggestion is that if you're already charging and a second car plus in to the same pair, a bigger drop in your charge rate may be observed.

Old behaviour: power supplied to each pair of stalls in a Supercharger is divided into 4 "chunks" (about 30 kW per chunk for 120 kW chargers, presumably up to 37.5 kW per chunk at higher power 150 kW chargers). If a car is charging fast enough to be using all 4 chunks and a second car plugs in to the same pair, the most the second car will receive is 1 chunk, or ~30 kW (now up to 37.5 kW?). The first car may see a drop to a minimum rate of ~90 kW (or ~112 kW) if it was previously charging at over that rate.

New behaviour (speculation): car 2 now takes 2 chunks of power so car 1 could see a 50% drop in rate when car 2 plugs in.

My own car's Supercharger rate curve is such that this is unlikely to affect me but I was still interested to know if there is any truth in this rumour/evidence to back it up?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My own car's Supercharger rate curve is such that this is unlikely to affect me but I was still interested to know if there is any truth in this rumour/evidence to back it up?
Ditto and observed something similar as well. I see @mgboyes has commented a bit about it on the FB group and might be able to add something...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search on TMC but didn't find any discussion there so maybe nothing's changed (next step, check if Tesla Bjorn has posted anything on YouTube...). Charge rates are affected by so many factors it can be a job to untangle which ones are due to the car and which to the Supercharger itself, but it should be quite obvious if you're charging at 100 kW+ and then drop to 60-70 kW the moment a second car plugs in. This would have implications for "pair sharing" etiquette which is probably the only way it would affect me in practice.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I guess Tesla want to share the bandwidth 50/50 going forwards.
Perhaps in preparation for upgraded hardware that can delivery full charge to both stalls like the new v3 Superchargers. :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I’ve seen this - damn annoying as you can plug into a free pair, go for a coffee and someone pulls up and robs half your rate even if other charger pairs are free.
I would like a system where the charger will commit to a minimum power when you plug in, and if it gives you more power you will not be fined for your car being charged before you get back to the car, provided you move the car by the time it would have been charged based on the committed power level.

It also needs the cars to make it a lot clearer to people the stall they should be using to get the max power level. Shame the stalls can't have bright green and yellow lights on them.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It also needs the cars to make it a lot clearer to people the stall they should be using to get the max power level. Shame the stalls can't have bright green and yellow lights on them.
Good ideas which unfortunately will never happen as there will probably be no investment in V2 kit with the current focus on V3 which removes the shared stall issue.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas which unfortunately will never happen as there will probably be no investment in V2 kit with the current focus on V3 which removes the shared stall issue.
Tesla could, presumably, recommend which stall(s) to use on the Nav screen when you arrive at a Supercharger - and even Autopark you at the best one. The fact that this hasn't been done in California (home turf with a lot more Supercharger congestion than we see in the UK) almost certainly means it won't happen. A shame as I expect it to be years before V3 superchargers are widespread, and even longer before V2 chargers are removed/replaced.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve seen this - damn annoying as you can plug into a free pair, go for a coffee and someone pulls up and robs half your rate even if other charger pairs are free.
What puzzles me is why I haven't seen more chat about it if there has indeed been a change in sharing behaviour. Presumably it would have a big impact on charge time for Model 3's or 100 kWh S/X's which can normally sustain 120 kW+ until they are ~50%+ charged. I'd also like to know if I should give a sympathetic nod to another driver if I plug in to "their" pair, in acknowledgement of the fact that I may have just halved their charge rate!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
What puzzles me is why I haven't seen more chat about it if there has indeed been a change in sharing behaviour. Presumably it would have a big impact on charge time for Model 3's or 100 kWh S/X's which can normally sustain 120 kW+ until they are ~50%+ charged. I'd also like to know if I should give a sympathetic nod to another driver if I plug in to "their" pair, in acknowledgement of the fact that I may have just halved their charge rate!
There's been chat on the ownbers group but I suspect many were suspecting cold weather and or chargegate to have knobbled them (which in some cases will still be true).

Here's a chat on the subject on TMC from Dec

·
Registered
18 Posts
There’s loads of chat on TMC about this in the Supercharger thread and stall speed threads. With teslafi graphs to back it up.

I’ve witnessed it many occasions too (since August). I always try and educate the other drivers if I see it happen. Shame it’s not widely advertised by Tesla at a site.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There’s loads of chat on TMC about this in the Supercharger thread and stall speed threads. With teslafi graphs to back it up.

I’ve witnessed it many occasions too (since August). I always try and educate the other drivers if I see it happen. Shame it’s not widely advertised by Tesla at a site.
I had a look though the Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure section and only found one thread from the last couple of months under the North America section - When did they change how SC pairing/sharing works? - that one describes the "updated" sharing behaviour but only got one reply (suggesting it might be a bug); apart from the post linked by @Jon G I didn't find anything else. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Just to be clear, this post from November in the UK forum covers sharing in some detail, but most respondents are talking about the "old" behaviour where the second car gets ~30-35 kW max: REMINDER: Leave a gap on V2 superchargers. What I'm really trying to understand is if there has been a wholesale change in the power split (from 75:25 to 50:50) in the last couple of months.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I had a look though the Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure section and only found one thread from the last couple of months under the North America section - When did they change how SC pairing/sharing works? - that one describes the "updated" sharing behaviour but only got one reply (suggesting it might be a bug); apart from the post linked by @Jon G I didn't find anything else. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Just to be clear, this post from November in the UK forum covers sharing in some detail, but most respondents are talking about the "old" behaviour where the second car gets ~30-35 kW max: REMINDER: Leave a gap on V2 superchargers. What I'm really trying to understand is if there has been a wholesale change in the power split (from 75:25 to 50:50) in the last couple of months.
Based on what I have seen personally at chargers (and its a fairly small sample but I was 120lkw, somebody plugged in next to me, I dropped to 60kw, I went back and moved my car and I went back to 120kw) and read on other forums, I'd say yes its 50/50 but I suspect its not as clear cut as that, may of the locations can handle up to 130-150kw, lets say that was for the pair, its feasible that you could be getting 90kw and think all is good if the other car has reached 65% SoC and has dropped their charge rate down to 60kw through normal throttling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just wish they’d publicise shared stalls as many are not aware. People don’t do it intentionally but it’s bloody annoying when there are spare bays

·
Registered
451 Posts
I’m curious by nature so would like to know the answer on how power is now shared. But in reality I find SuC amazing still. That is after 8k miles in the first 3 months with a SR+ and comparing it to 19k in 12 months in an e-Golf. I just plug in, go get a coffee ... and the car is ready before me, even when paired. I do however watch out for messages and move soonest. But if I’m charging for a few minutes more than I need here, I will need less time at the next one!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This discussion ended up being continued over on TMC (the "leave a gap" thread linked to further up). My take is that a recent change in Supercharger sharing behaviour is possible but there are many variables (some to do with the car, some possibly caused by old/overheating Supercharger equipment) and I haven't seen a definitive set of examples yet. So one to watch for, and if anyone on here has/acquires a good example with logs/data samples it would be interesting to discuss further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts