Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching this Korean POV video of the Ioniq 5 and at the 14 minute mark it showed the Built-In Cam option on the infotainment screen, very short but interesting (wonder if this is Korea only). will link the video below.....

Video Link :

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope it is not Korea only. It is such an essential feature.
I have sent an email to the VIP team to try to confirm if this is a Korea only option or if it will be on the one's for the UK. If it is Korea only I have asked that they try to convince Hyundai to provide it on the P45 before they start to build them - Hopefully it will be on the car as I think this is a great idea (similar to the TeslaCam/Sentry Mode) - Looks like it records front and rear cameras as well.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
785 Posts
I don't know why it hasn't been made mandatory on new cars yet to have this feature.

Failing that, I do like the Skoda concept of just sticking a USB port right up next to the rear view mirror in the housing for the mirror, so you can plug in any cam without the faffing getting it wired in.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE FROM HYUNDAI UK

Received this update from the VIP team yesterday about the Built in Dash Cam - I did argue that the P45 being fully loaded as Hyundai say, is not quite fully loaded as it will not have all the features that it already has in Korea, so it looks like they have settled on different software for each region, and will not change it. It looks highly unlikely that we in the UK will get this....

Hi Phil

Thank you for getting in touch. Project 45 already offers a range of unique features over and above the standard IONIQ 5 model and unfortunately we are unable to change the specification for this model. We will of course continue to explore the possibility of new features for future models.

Kindest regards

Laura

So to me it looks like KOREA will get the better software options on their standard cars,.

I have also noticed on the US launch, the rear lights are a larger rectangle and the indicators are the full rectangle instead of being 1 pixel high on european spec.

US Full size rear Lights

Europe Smaller Rear Lights

US Rear Indicators

Europe Indicators

·
Registered
394 Posts
If the P45 spec cannot be changed then Hyundai UK must know what that spec is, so have I missed the details somewhere or is the spec still secret?
Call me a cynic but could it be that to avoid changing the price, the ‘fully loaded spec’ has (and maybe continues to be) been influenced by adverse currency exchange rate changes, rising inflation and the shortage of ‘chips’ especially now that delivery has been put back.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me, this looks like it would only be a software change as all the cameras are in place and I have seen photos of a usb port in the glove box/drawer that could be the place for usb storage to be located. All conjecture I know, seems like a missed opportunity to provide something that would be extremely practical/useful for the driver of this vehicle......

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
I have also noticed on the US launch, the rear lights are a larger rectangle and the indicators are the full rectangle instead of being 1 pixel high on european spec.
If you look the European spec has one row below the brake lights which can show the indicator flashing.
I think this is because of the difference in the laws around rear lights... in europe we need to separate the brake and the indicator... US they dont differenciate they just flash the same light!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dashcam is not just software. I think there is an additional battery fitted and presumably an SD card slot somewhere (glove box?).
Like I said it's all just conjecture, and the pictures I have seen show a usb port for possible storage in the glovebox - why do you think there would be another battery fitted on top of the 12v battery and the main traction battery, surely like the V2L function the power would come from the traction battery ?. Tesla do not have another battery fitted for their sentry mode on the car, it's all powered by the main traction battery.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like I said it's all just conjecture, and the pictures I have seen show a usb port for possible storage in the glovebox - why do you think there would be another battery fitted on top of the 12v battery and the main traction battery, surely like the V2L function the power would come from the traction battery ?. Tesla do not have another battery fitted for their sentry mode on the car, it's all powered by the main traction battery.

Link below to Korean configuration (in English). Look for the greyed out boxes in right hand columns. Built in camera option "includes supplementary battery". Looks like this is a extra cost option to standard.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that, I stand corrected on the supplemental Battery - Would not have thought that that would be necessary. Doesn't make much difference as it's not going to be on the so called fully loaded "P45" anyway :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even Hyundai UK aren't quite sure on the built-in options. So even if it isn't included to start with it may appear later. The first six months worth of e-Konas came with the speed limit recognition camera enabled (ILSW). The following year it wasn't included and towards the latter part of that year it became included again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
This seems to be a purchase option on the Korean cars. It includes a supplementary battery and presumably a memory card slot, possibly in the glove box drawer from some pictures. I tried to get the option added to the UK P45's but no joy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This seems to be a purchase option on the Korean cars. It includes a supplementary battery and presumably a memory card slot, possibly in the glove box drawer from some pictures. I tried to get the option added to the UK P45's but no joy.
Hi George56,

If you look at post 6 on this thread I had already asked the VIP team about this and the answer was no changes to the P45 (see quote Below) - may be an option on future models

Hi Phil

Thank you for getting in touch. Project 45 already offers a range of unique features over and above the standard IONIQ 5 model and unfortunately we are unable to change the specification for this model. We will of course continue to explore the possibility of new features for future models.

Kindest regards

Laura
I think that this is a mistake and should be added to cars especially with 360 cameras - really disappointed with Hyundai about this especially as this is available as an option in Korea....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi George56,

If you look at post 6 on this thread I had already asked the VIP team about this and the answer was no changes to the P45 (see quote Below) - may be an option on future models

I think that this is a mistake and should be added to cars especially with 360 cameras - really disappointed with Hyundai about this especially as this is available as an option in Korea....
Hi misimega
I agree with you. I had seen your previous post but thought I would have a try as well. Below is my email sent and Hyundai reply
For the attention of Mr Ashley Andrew.

Dear Ashley.

Thank you for your letter advising of the delay in supply of RHD P45 cars to the UK. To date as a prospective purchaser I have been faced with finding a further £3,000 to buy the car because of changes to the UK government grant (even though the reservation was confirmed prior to the announcement of those changes). Now I am faced with around a 3 month delivery delay. For me this is not an issue. However it has become evident from the Speak EV and Hyundai Ioniq 5 forums that some on the reservation list have asked for the opportunity to add or change options. As far as I can tell each request has been met with a standard reply stating the P45 build is pre-configured and no changes are possible. With the UK cars not scheduled for production until July it should be possible for you to meet customer requirements with a more positive response.

In particular I note that in Korea there is a "built in camera option" that appears to be a Dashcam option. I would very much like this to be on the UK P45 cars. This would in a sense mitigate the additional funding requirement and delivery delay.

On another topic I have been trying to look at what accessories might be available for Ioniq 5. The accessory shop website has now been down for "maintenance" to my certain knowledge for well over a week now. This does not create a good customer impression especially when European sites are up and running with a range of items for the LHD variant.

With access to the world wide web it is now easy for potential customers to see what configurations are possible in all parts of the world. The marketing launch and many YouTube videos actively demonstrate and promote features that do not seem to be available on any model specification in the UK (for example, panoramic glass roof) If this is supposed to be a world wide car then please stop "short changing" customers in the UK.

Hopefully you will be able to address these issues.
Thank you for taking the time to contact Ashley Andrew, he has asked that I respond on his behalf. I hope to address each of the points you raise in turn.

The UK Project 45 is a pre-configured vehicle, that's what makes it as exclusive as it is. I am sure you recollect that the only options available for you to select from are the exterior and interior colours. That has not changed. It also means changing the design to include dashcams that are available in other countries is not possible.

The accessory range is being developed for the UK. Things outside of our control (Covid restrictions and no longer being part of Europe) mean we are finding new ways of working with suppliers.

It would be wonderful if we could meet the desires of all of our customers and we accept that it simply is not possible, especially taking different laws and safety criteria to meet.

I appreciate this may not be the response you were hoping for and I apologise for that. Again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

Kindest regards

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
569 Posts
So a bit, "Have what your given and be thankful" an attitude like that would put me off and I'd be looking at another manufacturer. I wonder whatever happened to customer service.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
The P45 was always a locked down spec. I can't believe the comment about being short changed... how ridiculous.

P45 gets more options than a fully loaded Ultimate for less money. This is the exact opposite of being short changed.

FWIW, there is no "P45" spec. outside of of Europe, and AFAIK will be the only variant outside of Korea with the electric rear seats.

Hyundai should have made the dashcam a standard feature in all markets where it is legal. They didn't and that just means we have to fit our own. It's not like the option is cheap in Korea anyway.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
So a bit, "Have what your given and be thankful" an attitude like that would put me off and I'd be looking at another manufacturer. I wonder whatever happened to customer service.
err no... just like the id.3/id.4 first edition. the P45 is a default configuration with little to no options. I wanted the HUD which was on the EUropean 1st edition id.4, but not the UK one, but I ordered before specs were finalised. I cant really complain I want it because its there on the European verison, it is just the spec it is for the UK at the price they set.

The reason for this is because that can produce a high volume quickly and so at a competitive price.
As Jimbo said...P45 is more than the Ultimate for lower price.

You cant have everything, either by the non P45 version and spec it how you want or by the P45 and have its spec, you cant have the price advantage of the P45 and expect to customise it.

It like the kid going to mcdonald in the UK having just seen Korean TV. they want to by the happy meal with a Bulgogi Burger (Korean burger) and the toys they get in korean happy meal, not a cheese burger and the toys in the english happy meal. Just because this burger is made in Korea, doesnt mean you can have it in england.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts