Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering this as I think our LEAF has come close, but not yet convinced anyone I know personally to "go electric".

Do you know if anyone you've met, neighbours or friends etc have bought an EV after an encounter with yours?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Just wondering this as I think our LEAF has come close, but not yet convinced anyone I know personally to "go electric".

Do you know if anyone you've met, neighbours or friends etc have bought an EV after an encounter with yours?
One of my colleagues is taking a test drive in a Leaf this weekend with a view to buying. I took him for a little test drive in mine to the nearest rapid one junction up the M4. He couldn't believe it was free.Quite a few people where I work have shown a very keen interest.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I wouldn't call them "dead heads". It does suck doesn't it? There aren't many people that are more pro-EV than me and I think that it sucks having such a short range so why shouldn't people that don't yet have an EV think so too?

There are two aspects to EV ownership... what people need and what they think they need. People will have an attitude based on the latter and they will not transition to an EV until EVs satisfy their needs but also their wants and what they think they need.

Right now, unless you can afford a Tesla Model S, EVs are not really suitable for long range use are they. Yes, you can do it as I and others prove every day, but it is a labour of love and only really going to be done by those keen enough to accept the risks and hassles.

So yes... 130 miles sucks, and for the majority that get 60-80 miles (e.g. Nissan Leaf) that sucks even more if you are thinking about long trips which most people do. It isn't until you accept that the EV is the perfect car for the short, every day trips we all do all the time (commuting, school run, shopping, sports club, gym etc) that you realise there is a place right now even within the 80 mile range, but you need a 2nd car probably for those longer trips or be prepared to rent or use public transport... not many will do that IMO.

Or get a Vauxhall Ampera or BMW i3 where you have the best of both worlds!

So, I think that the less we consider non-EV owners as "dead heads" and the more we look at it from their perspective and realise that actually they have a point, the more we can help them understand the realities of EV ownership and perhaps they will start to take it all seriously... firstly as a short-range car, probably a 2nd car, and once they are hooked on that then later, when 200-300 mile EVs become available and affordable they will be ready to go all electric.

·
Banned
558 Posts
There is a strong economic argument to balance against the range issue. Potential owners should always balance the money being saved against the limitations of range. Its whether you can accept the tradeoff? There many, particularly on lower incomes, for whom saving £2k+ on fuel, per annum, is a powerful argument?
Of all the pro-EV arguments (save-the-planet, new technology, driving pleasure) - its the economy that will be the prime mover for the 'early minority', even if it were not so for the 'early adopters'.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We run a small fleet of EVs within our team separate to the commercial fleet, and we have seen a trickle of colleagues ordering an EV as a result. Putting someone behind the wheel is the largest single factor in turning opinion. Even internal stakeholders who give us above average scrutiny have been turned...

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
the official launch of the on-site charge points (x2) at my place of work is happening next thursday.As part of the build up (it's a large government department who are very keen to promote sustainable motoring) they've been lent a Leaf Tekna for 2 weeks - it's being shared among the people working in the relevant department, and I've yet to hear anything negative from anyone that's had a go!I'm currently the first owner driver. I don't think it'll be long before they'll need more spaces & charge points....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts