Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Doing some research for a university project. Would love for you all to give me your opinion on the below.

Since owning an EV have you found yourself indulging on coffee and food whilst waiting for the vehicle to charge?

Or if not, would an incentive to visit a food/drink establishment change your view?

If none of the above, why not?

Really appreciate any advice that could made available to me.

Enjoy your evening.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
That doesn't sound very impressive for a "university" project.
Oh I don't know, I'm sure there are lots of graduates working in coffee shops and fast food outlets, and having evidence of relevant research might be an advantage. Or of course it might be someone posing as a student for marketing purposes.

Either way, we have differing reasons for driving EVs and this might influence views on consumption at stops. Some appreciate the economic benefits of driving an EV compared to ICE, and might limit spend while charging, maybe preferring to charge at a supermarket, bring their own refreshments or simply refrain from eating and drinking while charging.

Some may drive an EV for environmental reasons and be perhaps more concerned with fair trade produce and recyclable packaging.

Some may drive an EV for lifestyle reasons and enjoy a Frappuccino and Danish Pastry whenever they stop.

Differing incentives are needed for differing types of people.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,164 Posts
Hi All,

Doing some research for a university project. Would love for you all to give me your opinion on the below.

Since owning an EV have you found yourself indulging on coffee and food whilst waiting for the vehicle to charge?

Or if not, would an incentive to visit a food/drink establishment change your view?

Enjoy your evening.
Not really. Mostly drive around town and local, such as ferrying the kids, shopping, visiting friends. So, most charging is done at home, as it probably is for the majority of EV drivers. However, I make a 500 mile round trip about 4 or 5 times a year. 250 miles each way with a single stop to charge after around 2 hours at the halfway point. It’s also a natural break where a leg stretch and a meal would be expected. So, not eating or drinking coffee any more than I would have when driving an ICE. In fact, because I don’t need to visit a petrol station all the time, I’m probably buying even less junk food than I used to.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,824 Posts
I often do buy food and drink, but my main reason for choice of charging location on a long journey is the availability of loos so this means motorway services or supermarket.
Perhaps you should expand your research to ask 'what facilities do you need while charging'.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, for those of us of more “mature” years, the main correlation is between range and bladder capacity. I may or may not pick up a coffee and something to eat, but I definitely need a loo break.

That said, this might be more beneficial for your proposition. I’m definitely stopping for 20 mins or so, I’m definitely going into the building. I’m not necessarily thinking of food and drink, and of course I don’t think I’m going to be influenced by a promotion, but the truth is I probably would be.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If I get a free charge then I feel much more willing to buy food/drink;)

Like today, charged up to 100% at work (for free), then had a 220 miles journey to do, stopping off at Lymm services to try the new Gridserve chargers which were on free vend so again free, topped up from 60% to 91% and treated myself and those in the car to coffee and food. If the chargers were not free vend I probably wouldn't have stopped. So the moral of the story is for the price of a bit of free electricity it can result in a bit of spending at local businesses, and thus supporting local jobs etc.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Definitely the availability of facilities whilst charging, and very definitely clean and tidy ones if SWMBO is in the car. We rarely ever buy anything to eat or drink whilst charging, mostly because we rarely ever used to buy anything to eat or drink when making rest stops before we had EVs. On a long trip we've always packed our own refreshments, have done for decades now, mostly because places like motorway services are so dire (with the exception of the pretty good Tebay services).

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,164 Posts
So the moral of the story is for the price of a bit of free electricity it can result in a bit of spending at local businesses, and thus supporting local jobs etc.
The problem is... the cost of the food and drinks you wouldn't have purchased far outweighs the cost of the electrons.

So, if you'd been in an ICE, you wouldn't have stopped. Because you're in an EV you stopped because electrons are cheaper than combustion juice or even free but you ended up purchasing overpriced grub and coffee which brings the fuel cost back up towards petrol/diesel prices. 😳

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,821 Posts
Hi All,

Enjoy your evening.
I don't understand the question.

Have I found myself 'indulging'? No.

Have I found myself buying stuff to eat that I would not have done if I hadn't stopped to charge? Yes.

If it was cheaper/incentivised, would it encourage me to eat more than I would have done? Not really, because that's called 'being a gluttonous fat-so', however I do not vow never to be a gluttonous fat-so if there is a good value cream doughnut after that meal.

So, what do you call 'indulgent' and what are you talking about in regards 'incentives'?

If eating and drinking was always 'indulging' then only 'indulgent' people are alive, else they'd have died off for malnutrition.

Do you see why you asked a nonsensical question? I say it is nonsensical because it is drawing the respondent into your own web of misconception about the relationship between consuming food and drink, and EV charging.

If you are asking 'do these things happen together', then, bloody obviously, yes. If someone is hungry and has to wait 40 minutes anyway with a freakin' restaurant next to them, what do you THINK is going to happen next?

Sounds like one of the dumbest mis-thought-out questions as the basis for 'research' I have yet heard here, and there have been a few.

Ask something more interesting and better considered, and get a more interesting better considered answer, please.

(PS, this is friendly advice from me, it just might not sound like it but that's to make the point.)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not really, because that's called 'being a gluttonous fat-so'
Adsum, magister…

Donald, while it’s obvious that you have a brain like Orac, you unfortunately share its social skills. This is not “friendly advice” it’s destructive one-upmanship. Plus, it’s wrong. The OP doesn’t define eating and drinking as “indulging”; s/he subtly uses that word to distinguish between food and drink you would have bought anyway from a purchase you might be tempted into. Which is a perfectly decent basis for some research, though I and others have already suggested some issues around it. Since the opening question was in general terms, I’m guessing this is preparatory scoping rather than data gathering, so it’s all good.

@Fsheridan , ignore Donald. Most of us do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adsum, magister…

Donald, while it’s obvious that you have a brain like Orac, you unfortunately share its social skills. This is not “friendly advice” it’s destructive one-upmanship. Plus, it’s wrong. The OP doesn’t define eating and drinking as “indulging”; s/he subtly uses that word to distinguish between food and drink you would have bought anyway from a purchase you might be tempted into. Which is a perfectly decent basis for some research, though I and others have already suggested some issues around it. Since the opening question was in general terms, I’m guessing this is preparatory scoping rather than data gathering, so it’s all good.

@Fsheridan , ignore Donald. Most of us do.
Ha! thank you Astolat.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Since the opening question was in general terms, I’m guessing this is preparatory scoping rather than data gathering, so it’s all good.
Yep, that's what I was thinking. Having been one of the guinea pigs for a sociological survey I know the design of the things can be a rigorous affair and word choices and syntax critical. Astolat's advice is also sound..

·
31,821 Posts
... it’s wrong. The OP doesn’t define eating and drinking as “indulging”; s/he subtly uses that word to distinguish between food and drink you would have bought anyway from a purchase you might be tempted into.
I disagree that any distinction was made.

It is clearly not possible to incentivise 'indulgent' eating without incentivising 'normal' eating.

They said 'have you found yourself indulging' ... 'or if not' ....'[paraphrase..] what would incentivise a visit to somewhere to eat'.

The only 'if not' alternative to indulgent eating was therefore semantically 'not eating at all' on the basis of the OP text.

The condition of "NOT indulgently eating AND visiting somewhere to eat" was not a permitted condition in the OP's logical semantic.

·
31,821 Posts
Ha! thank you Astolat.
You can thank each other for being as illogical as each other in what you write, but it does not mean you are logical just because you say so.

Meanwhile, if you just want to clarify, then go ahead, no-one is stopping you from remedying your ambiguity.

Are you;-
talking about excess and indulgent eating only, above and beyond what is normal consumption, or

also talking about eating for reasonable sustenance that one might still eschew and choose to go hungry (which I certainly have on occasions) if it was too expensive, or

talking about some other set of circumstances?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts