Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in East Sussex know of any reliable charging options for a Sunday afternoon going from Worthing to St Leonards please? Was expecting to be travelling to Kent via rapids but the rents have moved the goalposts on me and now wish to meet at St Leonards. I've found a few type 2 chargers at Brighton and Eastbourne but was hoping for some destination charging if possible.

Any help gratefully received. :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
There are two 7kw type 2 points (CYC, I think?) in Hastings, in the car park by the sea front. Great spot for them. Other than that, it's a bit bare! Think they are on OCM or Plugshare.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two 7kw type 2 points (CYC, I think?) in Hastings, in the car park by the sea front. Great spot for them. Other than that, it's a bit bare! Think they are on OCM or Plugshare.

Brilliant, thank you for that. With one at Eastbourne and those ones we should be okay :)

·
Registered
Kona SE
965 Posts
It's a while since I've been out that way but zap-map is showing a 7kw charger at St Leonards Motors for Nissan customers. Not tried it myself. Best to give them a call in the morning if it is convenient for you.

Not sure which Eastbourne location you are thinking of but if it's the rail station be careful in case they are on a timer. I picked up a comment about this on a thread about Dorking station chargers.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm just off for a little drive along the south coast -- not that far east though -- today, and having posts in nice places where you want to spend a few hours is key!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sussex Trug. They're right on the route so that's really helpful. Also found another Nissan dealer at St Leonards so that'll be on our list too.

Cannot believe that there's no rapids at all between Worthing and Hastings though. Would have thought there would be one at least in Brighton but they're all just fast chargers. Thank goodness for the 6.6 charger in Evie :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I can confirm that East Sussex is another black hole for charging options outside of business hours.

We got stuck on traffic and so struggled to get anywhere near a charger before 3pm therefore we went for the asda charger at Hailsham. Sadly it's in the underground car park and although we plugged in at 3.20 and then went into the shop somehow the charger got reset so it only have us 1 mile on a 7kw charger in 35 minutes. Came back and had to sit in the car in the dark waiting to be thrown out. Not my greatest moment yet.

I love my car but the lack of infrastructure is starting to mean I wish I'd gone for PHEV instead. Asda staff were not sympathetic at all and yet again we struggled to get home.

The moral of the story appears to be not to go anywhere without motorways and copious rapids and never to attempt a jaunt outside business hours. :(

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Well I can confirm that East Sussex is another black hole for charging options outside of business hours.

We got stuck on traffic and so struggled to get anywhere near a charger before 3pm therefore we went for the asda charger at Hailsham. Sadly it's in the underground car park and although we plugged in at 3.20 and then went into the shop somehow the charger got reset so it only have us 1 mile on a 7kw charger in 35 minutes. Came back and had to sit in the car in the dark waiting to be thrown out. Not my greatest moment yet.

I love my car but the lack of infrastructure is starting to mean I wish I'd gone for PHEV instead. Asda staff were not sympathetic at all and yet again we struggled to get home.

The moral of the story appears to be not to go anywhere without motorways and copious rapids and never to attempt a jaunt outside business hours. :(
You really are having a rough time of it just lately ! At least you had company this time ;)

Maybe you should visit London more often ;) although even that seems a bit iffy in places ....

·
Registered
Kona SE
965 Posts
Ouch! again.

Had I know you were going to be struggling coming back I would have suggested a few more places closer to home. Lewes rail station has a charger but it is not on the usual Pod point network. It requires a CYC card.

If Asda staff want to throw you out try telling them you have been waiting for the bay to be cleared of ICE cars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ouch! again.

Had I know you were going to be struggling coming back I would have suggested a few more places closer to home. Lewes rail station has a charger but it is not on the usual Pod point network. It requires a CYC card.

If Asda staff want to throw you out try telling them you have been waiting for the bay to be cleared of ICE cars.

Sadly I doubt I'd have got away with that as a lovely old chap told me it was the first time he'd ever seen anyone parked there since the chargers went in.

Sadly I think I just have to accept that Evie is for round trips of 50 miles or less outside business hours and rush hubby into getting an LPG 4x4 that will tow a horsebox and still not cost a fortune on longer journeys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts