Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due to get a Pod Point charger fitted in the next 2 weeks. I have a 60 Amp main fuse and am worried this may be insufficient. I got in contact with Pod Point and asked if they would arrange for the main fuse to be upgraded and they told me that it wasn't something they do and I should contact my DNO. I contacted my DNO (SP Energy Networks) asking how I go about getting it upgraded to 80 Amp. They told me that I need my installer to fill out an application form on my behalf. I got back in touch with Pod Point and they seem to be ignoring my emails.

Who is responsible for filling out the paper work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I am due to get a Pod Point charger fitted in the next 2 weeks. I have a 60 Amp main fuse and am worried this may be insufficient. I got in contact with Pod Point and asked if they would arrange for the main fuse to be upgraded and they told me that it wasn't something they do and I should contact my DNO. I contacted my DNO (SP Energy Networks) asking how I go about getting it upgraded to 80 Amp. They told me that I need my installer to fill out an application form on my behalf. I got back in touch with Pod Point and they seem to be ignoring my emails.

Who is responsible for filling out the paper work?

Thanks.
You as the home owner can and should request the upgrade. All you need to say is you are getting a 7kW EVSE installed and you want it done. They might charge you a small fee, will probably want to complete a survey before they do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You as the home owner can and should request the upgrade. All you need to say is you are getting a 7kW EVSE installed and you want it done. They might charge you a small fee, will probably want to complete a survey before they do it.
Thanks for the quick reply.

When I told SP Energy Networks that I was getting a charging point fitted this is what they wrote back:

"Please be advised as this is in relation to having an EVCP installed your installer will need to send us the relevant ENA EV HP application form which can be downloaded form the ENA website via the link below. "

So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place with pod point and SP Energy Networks pointing at each other!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

When I told SP Energy Networks that I was getting a charging point fitted this is what they wrote back:

"Please be advised as this is in relation to having an EVCP installed your installer will need to send us the relevant ENA EV HP application form which can be downloaded form the ENA website via the link below. "
No, they are stuffing you about. Phone them up. Ask for a fuse upgrade. The thing they refer to is the paperwork for the actual EVSE installation

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, they are stuffing you about. Phone them up. Ask for a fuse upgrade. The thing they refer to is the paperwork for the actual EVSE installation
I just wrote this back to SP Energy Networks:

"I think there must be some confusion.

My current main fuse is only 60A and will be insufficient to power my power shower, dishwasher, car charger etc. at the same time. Pod Point who are fitting the charger have told me I need to request my DNO (SP Energy Networks) replace the 60 Amp main fuse with an 80 amp fuse so as to avoid any possibility of it blowing. I asked Pod point about filling out forms and they told me it wasn't their responsibility and my DNO should replace the fuse when asked as it was insufficient for the task at hand.

Hopefully you can resolve this as soon as possible as I am due to get the charger fitted within the next 2 weeks."

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
SP Energy Networks have a tendency to muck people around. If you can spare some time on the telephone, eventually you will get through to "new connections" or similar who will go along with your request for the fuse upgrade (after filling in a different bit of paperwork and paying a small fee). These things are sent to try us.

Problem with email is that there a very high certainty that you will get the same silly reply from the same silly person, o dear.

·
Registered
Citroen C4e Shine
101 Posts
SP Energy Networks have a tendency to muck people around. If you can spare some time on the telephone, eventually you will get through to "new connections" or similar who will go along with your request for the fuse upgrade (after filling in a different bit of paperwork and paying a small fee). These things are sent to try us.

Problem with email is that there a very high certainty that you will get the same silly reply from the same silly person, o dear.
I had/have same problem with Eonnext - the upgrade of the fuse is only part of the issue our cables are only 16mm and need to be 25mm, so much aggro and extra cost I have just cancelled my podpoint order and will use the Electric Forecourt 2min down the road…

·
Registered
6,449 Posts

Same down here with SSEN. The secret is knowing the direct number of someone there that actually knows what they are talking about. Once you have that number then you never have any more issues with them at all, in my experience. Exactly the same goes for OpenReach. Waste of time trying to call any publicly available numbers, but as soon as you call the local person that actually understands what's needed things tend to go like clockwork.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I had/have same problem with Eonnext - the upgrade of the fuse is only part of the issue our cables are only 16mm and need to be 25mm, so much aggro and extra cost I have just cancelled my podpoint order and will use the Electric Forecourt 2min down the road…
My DNO was SSE. I paid a small fee for the 100A fuse upgrade and they changed out the rubbish old service head so much safer. They upgraded my cables to 25mm2 for free and wired up the disconnector switch too. The disconnector switch was already installed so easy to wire up to. Very nice guys.

·
Registered
Citroen C4e Shine
101 Posts
My DNO was SSE. I paid a small fee for the 100A fuse upgrade and they changed out the rubbish old service head so much safer. They upgraded my cables to 25mm2 for free and wired up the disconnector switch too. The disconnector switch was already installed so easy to wire up to. Very nice guys.
That’s good you had a result, I was told I had to approach my energy provider Eonnext for cable issues - rather than my DNO, I was going round in circles with Eon(n)(n)

·
Registered
166 Posts
SSEN have an online application form you can use. In fact, during peak COVID it was the only way to get action. It's a bit technical but not intimidatingly so. Got the job done without any comebacks.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
895 Posts
You should ask for a 100A fuse while you are at it. And if you haven't got an isolation switch in the incoming cabinet ask for one to be fitted at the same time. I will make all subsequent work a lot easier.

·
Registered
Soul 64 previously Golf GTE
35 Posts
I moved into my place last year just as lockdown began 60a main fuse 16mm tails from meter to consumer board, my dno after contacting them (uk power networx) sent an engineer round for a survey to get eyes on it, he immediately changed out the main fuse for an 80a no charge (maximun 16mm tails can handle) and said get the tails changed to 25mm and the existing meter replaced (80a max) and theyd come back and uprate it to 100a. Gave them a call to say the modifications / new smart meter 100a rating had been done and they sent out a guy within the week to change it - no additional costs requested in the whole process

·
Registered
18 Posts
We are currently running a pod point and have a 60A main fuse. No problems to report but we have nothing else that uses much power. ( Combi boiler for all hot water and a gas hob. )
I should mention that our DNO ( Scottish Power ) have been out to inspect it, as we have a shared supply. They are happy and see no need to upgrade our supply. ( That may change if our neighbor wants a charge point though. )

·
Registered
713 Posts
I thought most of the time the reason there is a 60 Amp main fuse is due to the cable there etc. It's normally for safety ?

I just saw you have a shared supply. This is common in older properties we have it in our current house and our last one. So it' is down to the cables capacity / safety a bigger fuse may not be an option.

We have a three phase supply the neighbour supply comes in with ours and goes through one of our cellar chambers. They have a 60 amp fuse it's the maximum the cable can take.

When we rewired the electrician had the DNO out and told them not happy with the situation he thought 60amp was too high for the cable and thought it should have a new supply outside my property.

In houses with this situation there is almost always no easement for electricity as the house was built before electricity existed.

I could say you can no longer have your supply running through my property but I like the neighbour he's old and on his own I am not going to cut off his supply it will cost a fair bit to have a new supply connected I would think.

When the house is eventually sold they will have to pay for a new supply that is a conversation with the next owner

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I thought most of the time the reason there is a 60 Amp main fuse is due to the cable there etc. It's normally for safety ?

The incoming cable, unless it's very, very old, will almost certainly be 35mm². either concentric for TN-C-S, or split concentric for TN-S. In the BS7671 world (i.e. everything on the consumer side of the incoming cable) that cable is rated at ~130 A IIRC. In the DNO world (where they use reduced margins for pretty much everything) it probably has a higher rating. The tails to and from the meter will be either 16mm² or 25mm², and 16mm² tails are OK with up to an 80 A fuse, a 100 A fuse is needed for 25mm² tails.

The usual reasons for fitting a 60 A incoming fuse are either than this was all that was deemed necessary at the time the installation was put in, or that there is a limit on the local distribution network, most commonly that the supply is looped with a neighbouring property (so two installations sharing one 35mm² incoming cable).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know about PodPoint, but Zappi chargers can certainly be setup so that they measure the total grid current, and will automatically limit the car charging power if the total current gets close to the fuse limit. My Zappi is set to limit grid current to 55A - I have a 60A main fuse.

I can't see this ever being an issue in practice, as the car charges overnight when I'm not using any significant electricity for anything else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Update: So I phoned SP Energy Networks and they again told me that Pod Point will need to send SP Energy Networks a "notification to connect" which will then prompt SP Energy Networks to investigate our electricity setup and determine whether or not we need the main fuse upgraded.

This what they said in a follow up email to the call:

"As discussed, we will do a load check as part of the process upon receipt of the notification to connect form that will be sent to us from Podpoint. They should be sending this in with every car charger they install in our area."

I am on the phone to pod point now to see if that is right. I wish I had never taken an interest in our main fuse capacity. Ignorance is bliss but I feel I need to chase this to it's conclusion now!

Edit. I just got off the phone with pod point and they have now told me that they will send a "notification" to SP Energy Networks. Kind of feel I was just being fobbed off. Nothing more I can really do now.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts