Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an Irish driver and regularly use the M4 across the UK. The Ecotricity CCS chargers have never been very reliable and it has always been an adventure to make the trip in my Ioniq. I was looking at Zap Map just now to plan my next trip and most of the "Electric Highway" chargers are reported as faulty.

Have Ecotricity given up on their motorway CCS chargers? If so, can they please back out of their contract and let a competent company take over?

It's past ridiculous that the motorway network is held hostage by this company. They are clearly not up to the task.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wonder how many people will try and collar Dale Vince at Fully Charged Live and see what he has to say for the sorry state of their chargers?

Four of them refused to work on the Zoe at Charnock Services M6 Northbound last Sunday, rang them up Monday and although the helpful woman apologised that one of the rapids was broken and the two 22kWh posts don't work because there is a problem with the cards they have sent out. She said the 2nd rapid was working even though the Zoe didn't like it and she wouldn't log it as a fault!

It was a bit ominous when we turned up and there were no other cars charging even though the carpark was full and busy, thank god for plan C but that's another story :)

·
Super Moderator
10,899 Posts
They still repair the viable ones. Recently, I reported a problem at Holyhead and it was fixed a few days later. About 30 of the triple heads are hopeless and need to be replaced. EH should have done it ages ago.

Zap map is not always accurate. People sometimes report free vend as fault.

My personal success rate is about 75% on CCS. Not good enough.

I use Instavolt as my plan A. EH are plan B or opportunity charge.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sadly I went back to an ICE. That is until the MSA's are sorted out. Trouble is without shareholders or investors EH is not accountable to anyone.

Richard

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
787 Posts
The problems they have with older charging technology not working well (or at all) with newer cars is understandable, IMO, and forgivable.

Their reluctance, or perhaps their simple inability, to upgrade or replace the old charging technology so it actually works is also understandable, to a degree.

What is completely unforgivable though is their almost complete lack of communication about the issues, and the apparent choice to instead just bury their heads in the sand. They just come across as being completely apathetic about the whole issue.

Their Twitter account, for example, hardly ever posts anything.

The 'update' today was the first tweet since April 12th, and the past 3 tweets (the total amount of tweets this year, before today) have been only to report 'technical issues' with the their phone lines.

It's amazing they don't even have someone who can be a part-time social media bod. When you compare them to the social media presence and activity of just about every other charging network it's just embarrassing.

My only guess is they either just don't care, or are on their last legs.

https://twitter.com/ElecHighway

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
What is completely unforgivable though is their almost complete lack of communication
I am not bothered about communication at all. If the things work they don't need to tell me. But when they do communicate they say availability is 99.8%. If that was true I would still be in a BEV.

Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The huge CCS gap on the M4 between Cardiff Gate and Membury is a huge problem for me with my 28kWh battery. Made worse by the fact that Membury westbound is faulty most of the time. Leigh Delamere is the service area between these two, but there's no CCS there. I regularly have to go off the main line to get a charge. Thanks Instavolt for covering EH's ass.

Polar would be helpful if I could download their app on my Irish phone, but it seems to be geo blocked. I've communicated exhaustively with their customer service, but had to give up on them as a bad job.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get a charge when EH have, once again, left me in a desperate position, heading for the 02:45 ferry?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
One of the polar bods make the point that CCS works on their DBTs. The new Ecotricity unit at Oxford isn't reliable either. That's an Efacec (sp?)

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
787 Posts
I am not bothered about communication at all. If the things work they don't need to tell me. But when they do communicate they say availability is 99.8%. If that was true I would still be in a BEV.

Richard
What is it with selective quoting on this site.

·
Super Moderator
10,899 Posts
Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get a charge when EH have, once again, left me in a desperate position, heading for the 02:45 ferry?
I'm not sure which ferry you are heading for...

Instavolt have 2 locations in South Wales

They will take contactless debit card payment (only). No app or subscription needed.

Bannatyne Health Club in Newport. NP20 2AJ

Bannatyne Health Club near Cardiff CF14 5GG

Shell Recharge Neath (near Swansea) -- SA10 6JW

Polar have a couple of chargers at hotels in South Wales, but you need to sign up.

EH

If CCS doesn't work, use the type-2 AC connector and slow charge your car.

Here in North Wales ...

Holyhead worked last time I checked.
Bangor works with an i3.
Singing Kettle worked for me last month.
Chester Services Worked for me 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
What is it with selective quoting on this site.
Sorry do not understand what you mean. Did you want me to quote the whole post ? I thought you were OK with them having problems as long as they let you know what was going on. I am the other way round I want them working and am not bothered about communication.

Richard

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heading for Pembroke dock. I was in a bit of trouble last year when 3 of the EH chargers were faulty... in a row. I headed for Bannatyne in Newport. Just as I arrived the staff told me I had to leave as they were locking the gate. I had to just look at the chargers through the fence. I struggled to Bannatyne Cardiff and got there running on just the smell of lightening.

How does the Shell Recharge work as regards payment? Is it a subscription, or PAYG?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I realise that you problem is mainly near the Welsh border, but can I just say that things have recently got better at the ferry end?

Before you get on the ferry in Pembroke Dock you can use the very new GeniePoint chargers at SA72 6DW, with 4 22kW type 2s. These are just a few minutes from the ferry.

There is also a rapid at Nant-y-Ci, SA31 3SA, just outside Carmarthen on the A40 that has CHAdeMO, CCS and Type 2 charging. Payment is with a bank card. This point is about 40 minutes from the ferry.

: o )

1 - 20 of 380 Posts