Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 260 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't mean to steal your thunder but I just had two days on the road (an unexpected trip from Scotland to the south of England and back again). I used Polar for most charges south of a line between Preston and Doncaster but north of that I used the EH. Nine successful EH charges across the two days with only one delay - I had to wait for an Outlander who took 20 mins charging on the pump that had CCS rather than using the other pump that also had Chademo but no CCS. The only real failure would have been a 10th charge at Gretna Services but the CCS pump was completely dead. I had a plan B and went to the next EH site so not a problem.

I bet that this is not the record though!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I bet that this is not the record though!
But that is a 10% failure rate. OK if you plan and have time to plan and time to divert to a working charger etc. But not really for the majority of prospective EVer's who would consider that a pretty poor performance compared to the usual ICE. Get in and drive. When low fuel light comes on - stop at next petrol station with 99.99......% reliability. I cannot remember once in decades ever having a problem with ICE fueling. With BEV charging problems seem all too common.

Richard

·
Registered
172 Posts
Richard, just in case you misunderstood me I was not saying that the charge rate was good, merely that I had nine out ten successful. In fact I forgot about the EH at Cambridge services so it was 10 out 11 - not perfect of course but a lot better than a similar trip in April when I had CCS failures at three consecutive service areas. Running on the EV equivalent of fumes for a while! lol

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Richard, just in case you misunderstood me I was not saying that the charge rate was good, merely that I had nine out ten successful. In fact I forgot about the EH at Cambridge services so it was 10 out 11 - not perfect of course but a lot better than a similar trip in April when I had CCS failures at three consecutive service areas. Running on the EV equivalent of fumes for a while! lol
No worries. I have been forever tainted by the EH. My very first charge failed and I only just made it to another charger. Nearly flat bedded three times in three months all down to the EH. I am back in an ICE for now until the charging networks get their act together. I think it will take at least a couple of years.

Richard

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
only one delay - I had to wait for an Outlander who took 20 mins charging on the pump that had CCS rather than using the other pump that also had Chademo but no CCS.
If two CHAdeMO pumps are available I will always choose the non-CCS one as a matter of courtesy to anyone who might turn up. Mind you that pretty much stuffs the Zoe that by sod's law would be bound to turn up instead in that case!

If the Outlander owner was present, the nice thing to do would have been to interrupt his charge and move to the other pump to let you on. Mind you, for 20 minutes it's not really worth it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It’s all a bit like when there was a fuel tanker strike. You are nervous about running low and not being able to refuel so you revert to topping up frequently. Not much point having a 200 mile EV range if you are looking for charging points after 100 miles.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've been extremely impressed at how quickly Polar ultra chargers have been built out. They are not at the motorway services stations but they aren't too far off. I do wish Ecotricity would release their monopoly at motorway services, they are not developing things nor allowing anyone else too.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I think their monopoly is just being eroded. Any place there isn't already CCS is a prime candidate for slapping in a load of CCS chargers and calling their bluff. The petrol stations at motorway sites will be the next place they'll probably target. I don't think Ecotriicty have the resources to sue. I assume they'll just keep putting chargers closer and closer to the actual MSA and Ecotricity will realise they have nothing to defend any more as they've basically wasted all the good will they had.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just did my first long trip in my Leaf 30Kwh. Have to say, I used 6 different Electric Highway Chademo chargers and they all worked fine. Even at 30p/kwh it was still much cheaper than petrol. Whilst they need to have more pumps at each site, and should ditch the app in favour of contactless cards, they convenience of having them in the service stations is just too good.

Made a detour to a Pod Point rapid in Garforth to try it out and take advantage of the 10p/kwh rate - the app wouldn't work and it added about 30 mins to my trip driving around to find it and faffing with their broken app!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think their monopoly is just being eroded. Any place there isn't already CCS is a prime candidate for slapping in a load of CCS chargers and calling their bluff. The petrol stations at motorway sites will be the next place they'll probably target. I don't think Ecotriicty have the resources to sue. I assume they'll just keep putting chargers closer and closer to the actual MSA and Ecotricity will realise they have nothing to defend any more as they've basically wasted all the good will they had.
The deal is between EH and the companies that run the MSAs. I doubt those companies will renege on their deal with EH any time soon.

The other charge networks can't just turn up uninvited with some chargers on a truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The deal is between EH and the companies that run the MSAs. I doubt those companies will renege on their deal with EH any time soon.

The other charge networks can't just turn up uninvited with some chargers on a truck.
I guess it depends if the MSA owns the whole site or not. If the petrol station owns their bit of land then maybe the exclusivity agreement doesn't apply.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
If two CHAdeMO pumps are available I will always choose the non-CCS one as a matter of courtesy to anyone who might turn up. Mind you that pretty much stuffs the Zoe that by sod's law would be bound to turn up instead in that case!

If the Outlander owner was present, the nice thing to do would have been to interrupt his charge and move to the other pump to let you on. Mind you, for 20 minutes it's not really worth it.
Not really worth it anyway. I sat for ten minutes discussing charge speed with an Outlander owner charging at less than 1kW. He did eventually disconnect on 89%; I did wonder how long he would have sat waiting if I hadn't been waiting!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just did my first long trip in my Leaf 30Kwh. Have to say, I used 6 different Electric Highway Chademo chargers and they all worked fine. Even at 30p/kwh it was still much cheaper than petrol. Whilst they need to have more pumps at each site, and should ditch the app in favour of contactless cards, they convenience of having them in the service stations is just too good.

Made a detour to a Pod Point rapid in Garforth to try it out and take advantage of the 10p/kwh rate - the app wouldn't work and it added about 30 mins to my trip driving around to find it and faffing with their broken app!
We try and use Polar now since the EH prices went up, but in three years of usage I have had almost zero issues with EH. Funnily enough, very my first rapid charge was a single charger EH site that was out of order and I did end up on a flatbed (having not discovered Plugshare or Zap-Map at that time, unaware of the several other nearby chargers).

But hundreds of successful charges since and very few failures.

Plenty of times I've found petrol stations closed for refueling or because they are out of petrol or diesel. I have nearly run out of petrol too on a late Sunday evening when for nearly 100 miles every petrol station was shut.

And several times I have walked a few miles to buy a jerry can of petrol (never for my own car mind), mainly due to dodgy fuel gauges.

But a closed petrol station normally just means taking a detour to the next petrol station (except during the fuel strikes) and all OK... Exactly the same as EV charging stations.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It seems that with more Instavolt chargers and Polar Instant eventually working, the dismay over EH slowly crumbling and their failure to get the msa working properly has crumbled. Will 2020 be the year they start to renew, or will it drag on for more years before EH or the government decide something should be done?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Or has the new breed of 250 mile cars removed the need for charging on journey so often, I need a charge to see her in Yorkshire, she gets here easily in her Kona.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Polar have their share of issues too. I'm less than satisfied. I'm around 75% success on both Polar and EH.

100% success on Instavolt :)
I've had two Instavolt chargers fail on me so far, but since Instavolts almost always come in pairs it wasn't a big deal in either case. But I use EH more often, so the failure rate is not that different.

When I charge at MSAs I usually manage to chose one with two chargers.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Got another two EH charges under my belt with no issues.

I did have two charges cut off after about 20% one on the charger at the French side of the Eurotunnel and the other was a polar/plugged in Midlands unit. Both were the older model DBT chargers used by EH.

Although not being in the car when they failed I don't know if they were charger issues or if the chargers in question just had really short time limits

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

241 - 260 of 324 Posts