Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

261 - 280 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Just compared the invoice numbers on two ecotricity charges a month apart. It suggests that invoice numbers are climbing by around 1150 per day.

Does anyone know if the invoice numbers are genuine ie not padded to disguise how many real charges are happening? I've got both odd and even numbers.

From memory I think they have 200 sites so that's 5 or 6 per day per site. Is this more than before or about the same?

·
The best there is at what I do
10,525 Posts
Just compared the invoice numbers on two ecotricity charges a month apart. It suggests that invoice numbers are climbing by around 1150 per day.

Does anyone know if the invoice numbers are genuine ie not padded to disguise how many real charges are happening? I've got both odd and even numbers.

From memory I think they have 200 sites so that's 5 or 6 per day per site. Is this more than before or about the same?

I'm guessing some sites will be much busier than others, 5 or 6 a day is really low usage and probably accounts for why they have stopped rolling out additional chargers.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Looking at receipts for three different charges at different sites on the same journey, they support sequential numbering.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'm guessing some sites will be much busier than others, 5 or 6 a day is really low usage and probably accounts for why they have stopped rolling out additional chargers.
5 or 6 users a day is getting close to the limit of what a single rapid can cope with before long queues become likely. To get much higher use per rapid, the rapids need to be in clusters. Putting a cluster of 4 rapids on 1\4 of the service stations would not work for 20kwh cars.......

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
Demand peaks in the afternoon and early evening. Drivers set off on 100% and don't need to charge until a few hours later. Most rapids don't get used at all overnight or in the early morning.

5 or 6 per day across the network implies peak time queuing at busy locations. Either that or customers leave and charge elsewhere. At the same time, the network is loosing money. Ecotricity say they expect to continue to operate at a loss even with the higher tariffs.

Perhaps investing in more reliable and faster pumps will improve their bottom line?

I wonder how Instavolt are doing.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Demand peaks in the afternoon and early evening. Drivers set off on 100% and don't need to charge until a few hours later. Most rapids don't get used at all overnight or in the early morning.

5 or 6 per day across the network implies peak time queuing at busy locations. Either that or customers leave and charge elsewhere. At the same time, the network is loosing money. Ecotricity say they expect to continue to operate at a loss even with the higher tariffs.

Perhaps investing in more reliable and faster pumps will improve their bottom line?

I wonder how Instavolt are doing.
In my younger days I worked in quite a few petrol stations. It was long periods of boredom and no customers with short periods of frantic activity. I think most charging is probably in a couple of windows of a couple of hours.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I wonder how Instavolt are doing
I am not expecting Instavolt to make a profit in the next 5 years, but once EVs are common they will have a licance to print money as they sign sites up for 20 years.

. I think most charging is probably in a couple of windows of a couple of hours
I think Instavolt with their choose of sites (many pubs, gyms, etc) will get a more spreadout demand. And also people charging because they can, before they need to, hence still visiting the site even if there is a risk of a queue for the charger as they site is worth a visit regardless of charging.

Moterway service stations are one of the hardest cases to make a profit with, unless you can put in larger cluster for only fast charging long range EVs like Tesla is doing.

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
At the moment, EH aren't even close making back the operating costs. Most of the existing rapids were gifts from Nissan or part funded by the EU and various manufactures.

With new pumps it sort of depends on where the funds for the capital expenditure come from.

·
EGGY
949 Posts
Meanwhile St Dale is marching and tweeting in London ... just driven Essex to Loughborough and back, M1 on the way up, A14/M11 on the way back, no Ecotricity CCS chargers in service. Thank goodness for the other providers, I'm sure the issues around Ecotricity are multi faceted but at the end of the day they seem incapable of providing a service

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Ecotricity keep saying they can't get funding and yet Instavolt, Engenie etc are awash with money. It shows up in their accounts. There is money but not from sources they can get it from or maybe want it from?

It will be interesting to see if there is much drop off after the next price change.

Charge today was about 1400 more than yesterday according to the invoice.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I expect that if Ecotricity had 20 years to run on their exclusive contracts they would get funding, but with only a few years left, it is unlikely the cost of new chargers would be recovered. There is also the political risk that a government would step in and put clusters of chargers at each motorway service station.

If I was investing in a network I would choose Instavolt.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ecotricity keep saying they can't get funding
I would say that;s just not true. They spend on the football stadium etc. One Ecobond would make a huge difference. And they hvae spent on
You can see some of the great projects we’ve built using the money from our ecobonds below:

• ‌A new windmill in Cardiff, which now powers Pinewood Studios on the site
  • A sun park that we combined with one of our wind parks to make what we understand to be the UK’s first hybrid energy park
  • A third windmill to power Ford’s diesel engine factory at Dagenham
  • Two big windmills to power the Michelin tyre factory in Ballymena, Northern Ireland
  • Four windmills at our Galsworthy site in Devon
  • Nine windmills powering our customers’ homes in Dalby, Leicestershire
  • A new windmill greening up Britain’s construction industry at H+H Pollington, Yorkshire
  • A windmill to power the RSPB’s HQ, The Lodge, and nature reserve in Bedfordshire
  • A windmill at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Norfolk – our first public sector windmill
  • We’re building three new windmills at Alveston in Gloucestershire‌
So they just do not want to

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
126 Posts
I’m noticing many different components failing on these DBT rapids as of late, and even less work than usual to carry out repairs.

I was about to point the finger straight at Ecotricity, but a lot of these DBT units on other networks are looking worse for wear now too, and the manufacturer website now shows fancy new chargers with little to no mention of these models.

I'm wondering if they have made it difficult to get parts or support for them now. Does anybody know if these machines have a designed life span? I know they are showing their age now but are only 7 years old in reality. That doesn’t feel like they should all be falling apart this quickly especially with only 5 uses per day.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Does anybody know if these machines have a designed life span?
No they do not. DBT does not have a quality system. Even in 2015 when most of the kit was quite new 25% of EH was not working. It is a badly designed and poorly made piece of kit. Added to that are the long/unpredictable repair times and the CCS debacle etc.

·
Evezy £50 code - cada7
126 Posts
No they do not. DBT does not have a quality system. Even in 2015 when most of the kit was quite new 25% of EH was not working. It is a badly designed and poorly made piece of kit. Added to that are the long/unpredictable repair times and the CCS debacle etc.
Back in 2014-2015 time I actually found these DBT chargers to be pretty reliable ompared to the other brands that were available in my area at the time. I never had any complaints about reliability, just the fact that they were free to use and everyone was taking full advantage so if you really needed to plug in you could be waiting a while behind people who maybe didn’t need it.

CYC in my area back then all had Elektrobay/SGTE Power rapid chargers. They were regularly breaking down, and every single one I have come across now is either removed or disabled and never to be repaired due to lack of parts. That is what I suspected might have been happening here with the equally old DBT chargers.

Up until recently the only issues I have had with these chargers are the long-standing CCS complaints that many people experience. But with my regular vehicles being AC43 or Chademo supported I have generally been quite lucky going up and down the A1 and M1 motorways with Ecotricity up until around February-March time this year where maintenance has been nonexistent since and reliability plummeting as a result.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Back in 2014-2015 time I actually found these DBT chargers to be pretty reliable ompared to the other brands that were available in my area at the time.

I have generally been quite lucky going up and down the A1 and M1 motorways with Ecotricity up until around February-March time this year where maintenance has been nonexistent since and reliability plummeting as a result.
In early 2016 I was nearly flatbedded three times by the EH. It's absolute reliability that counts rather than comparing to other poor networks.

There is a a measure for reliability (availability) The balance between reliability and MTTR - mean time to repair is the key. If the kit is unreliable and takes months to repair then availability is very poor. If the kit has the same reliability but repaired same day then availabilty would be far better. The number of chargers also needs to be ahead of demand rather than behind. With a minimum of three reliable fast repair chargers at each MSA.

That will get me back into BEV. I do not think it will happen anytime soon.

261 - 280 of 330 Posts