Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

821 - 840 of 863 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Are they really needed? I takes like 30 seconds to plug-in max. You can do the app stuff in your car. Sure, it'd be nice and I'm sure it's better for the machines but not of huge importance IMO.

But looking forward to the new services, as a Rugby resident I'll probably never really need them unless my home charger stops working. Though I'm still looking for that first faster than 50kWh charge on the ID.3, so maybe next time I get home in single digits I'll pop over there and give them a shot.
Are they needed at petrol stations? Doesn't take that long to pump petrol into a car either, yet they all have them.

Also, surely couldn't add much to the cost of a rapid charger install could it? You could probably get something that would do the job from B&Q for 50 quid or so...

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
That location looks like it would be accessible to M1 traffic too. Only adds a few minutes to a N-S or S-N journey.

Reactions: ajtaylor

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Considering the costs of the 350kw chargers themselves, even a canopy with solar panels on and some battery storage for 10 car parking bays would be less than one charger!

Failing that some metal poles and plastic roofing would only cost a few hundred.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
235 Posts
That location looks like it would be accessible to M1 traffic too. Only adds a few minutes to a N-S or S-N journey.
Kind of. The M6-M1-A14 Catthorpe interchange (J19) only does M6 to M1 Southbound and M1 to M6 Northbound. If you're heading south on the M1 you'd need to get off at Lutterworth (J20), charge, then M6 and then back on the M1.

Like wise, if you're M1 heading north, you'd need to go M6 to J1, Charge then head to Lutterworth to rejoin the M1 at J20.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
177 Posts
Kind of. The M6-M1-A14 Catthorpe interchange (J19) only does M6 to M1 Southbound and M1 to M6 Northbound. If you're heading south on the M1 you'd need to get off at Lutterworth (J20), charge, then M6 and then back on the M1.

Like wise, if you're M1 heading north, you'd need to go M6 to J1, Charge then head to Lutterworth to rejoin the M1 at J20.
I thought this - a minor inconvenience, yes. Would have been great if it was on the M1/M6/A14 interchange, a shame it couldn't have been included when the junction was rebuilt a couple of years ago.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
2,744 Posts
If all rapid chargers worked as quickly and reliably as Tesla Superchargers do, and if all cars had charge port flaps that worked like they do on Teslas, then I’d agree that canopies probably wouldn’t really be needed as you’re outside for literally 5-10 seconds....but as it is, even the most reliable chargers can sometimes take 30 seconds or more to get activated, then there’s the fiddling with the stupid dangly cap things, trying not to trip over cables, ducking under cables etc. If it’s lashing it down and you literally just want to start charging and then get back in your car, I don’t think it should be necessary to either try and use an umbrella (probably would be impossible with the heavy cables that require two hands to wrestle into position), to put a raincoat on, or to end up getting drenched and then go back to sitting in the car in wet clothing, which then causes the windows to steam up as if you were doing something you ought not to be doing in a public car park. A basic canopy isn’t much to ask for, and fundamentally the aim should be to make driving an EV better than driving an ICE car in as many ways as possible, and worse in as few as possible. A canopy is an easy win.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
235 Posts
I thought this - a minor inconvenience, yes. Would have been great if it was on the M1/M6/A14 interchange, a shame it couldn't have been included when the junction was rebuilt a couple of years ago.
Yeah, though as the junction is just continuous traffic, having an actual stop and serving all directions would probably be vastly more complicated construction wise. For me the biggest thing missing there is a A14 to M1 south option.

Either way the local area has had such a great boost in charging recently. First the MK coachpark, then the Corley services Instavolts and now the new Rugby Services. There's a Eurogarage opening on the A14 a few junctions in that I'm sure will have a bank of chargers too.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
177 Posts
Yeah, though as the junction is just continuous traffic, having an actual stop and serving all directions would probably be vastly more complicated construction wise. For me the biggest thing missing there is a A14 to M1 south option.

Either way the local area has had such a great boost in charging recently. First the MK coachpark, then the Corley services Instavolts and now the new Rugby Services. There's a Eurogarage opening on the A14 a few junctions in that I'm sure will have a bank of chargers too.
Yes I suspect you are right, the junction would have had to be considerably larger to accommodate either a huge roundabout or various slip roads to and from a Service Station there, and either way would have probably slowed the free-flow traffic they now have there.

Still, the Rugby services aren't too far off the route for it to be a terrible solution. I'm hoping they'll be fully open by the middle of May as I've worked out I'd need to stop and charge around there after a drive from the north.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,779 Posts
There's a Eurogarage opening on the A14 a few junctions in that I'm sure will have a bank of chargers too.
Can you recall where?
FWIW, there's now a Costa and a McD's on the Kettering bypass, both with Chargepoint units.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
235 Posts
Can you recall where?
FWIW, there's now a Costa and a McD's on the Kettering bypass, both with Chargepoint units.
The Junction 1 near Cold Ashby, there's been a sign up for perhaps the last 2 years saying they've acquired the land for a services. As to if it's been approved/abandoned/delay down to Covid I don't know?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,779 Posts
The Junction 1 near Cold Ashby, there's been a sign up for perhaps the last 2 years saying they've acquired the land for a services. As to if it's been approved/abandoned/delay down to Covid I don't know?
I see it on google earth now, by the Welford truck stop.

EDIT:- Found the planning application, granted back in 2018. No sign of any recent amendment for chargers though.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
235 Posts
The planning was granted in July 2018, but was delayed until after improvements to the junction. No idea if those have been done though.
I drive past and through that junction regularly and there's been zero signs of anything like that. If anything I think a few years delay would probably increase the chances of a decent charger installation. 2016-2018 I would have been chuffed if there was even a single rapid. But now a good few could be possible.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
176 Posts
Considering the costs of the 350kw chargers themselves, even a canopy with solar panels on and some battery storage for 10 car parking bays would be less than one charger!

Failing that some metal poles and plastic roofing would only cost a few hundred.
I think all of these places should have solar canopies with battery storage. This would definitely help at MSAs built in the 70s awaiting grid upgrades and would lower demands on the grids overall. There’s a pretty decent example near Barnsley train station car park although not exactly sure what it provides power to.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,556 Posts
Exiting stuff going on in the company listings. Cowling is gone as a director and new fellow Toddington is now listed as a director. Plus someone called jeremy cross. A charge going back to 2013 has also been paid off by ecotricity group.

Some voting rights and share shuffling again too.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,556 Posts
Checked the register again and the charge settled this month by Electric Highway was actually the one taken out in December 2020. Could have sworn it said it was from 2013.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The 2015 charge that was part-satisfied was in Ecotricity Group. That floating charge (also to HSBC) would probably have prevented them from making the transfer of shares in Highway, so presumably they have either paid off some of the debt, Gridserve has guaranteed part of it, or the bank has just accepted that it's the best course of action. The charge on Highway is a separate one, taken out as you say only a few months ago. Not quite clear why the bank thought it needed that as well as the one on Group.

Board of Highway is now two from Ecotricity and two from Gridserve, but between them Dale and Group could control the appointment of directors unless there is a side agreement of some sort. Not clear how any tied votes on the board would be decided.

Now a million shares of Highway in issue, Dale owns between 25% and 50%, as does Ecotricity Group. Green Britain Group Ltd owns 100% of Ecotricity Group. Dale owns 75% or more of Green Britain (again probably 100%?). There's an HSBC charge on Green Britain's holding of Group's shares which again looks like it would prevent them being sold.

There are now two new Green Britain companies. Green Britain Group Holding is owned (probably 100%) by Green Britain Group Ltd. Green Britain Holdings Ltd (keep up at the back...) is owned 100% by Dale. They're both shell companies so far as the filings show at present. It might be that he's just protecting the names (there are other "Green Britain" companies that he doesn't control and predate his, as well as Green Britain Foundation).

Cowling has resigned from all the companies, so far as I can see. May or may not be connected with Tlt LLP becoming the place where the registers of all the companies are being held - possibly taking over company secretarial duties?

821 - 840 of 863 Posts