·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,861 Posts
No, just the usual Electric Highway incompetence. :mad::mad::mad::poop:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well what do you know. I pulled into Trowell Services South yesterday evening as I needed to juice up my i3, and didn't fancy going off-piste to my usual Instavolt. I found the Ecotricity CCS charger (Efacec) unoccupied and so I pulled out the app plugged in. The charge session worked perfectly normally, ran at a constant 47+kW (125A), and added sufficient charge while the kids were fed and watered in the services.

It's actually my first time using Ecotricity (in 2+ years of EV ownership). I've always shied away from them due to the negative publicity on here. I did, however, check the charger was not an old DBT model, as I've had issues with those on the Polar network in the past.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well what do you know. I pulled into Trowell Services South yesterday evening as I needed to juice up my i3, and didn't fancy going off-piste to my usual Instavolt. I found the Ecotricity CCS charger (Efacec) unoccupied and so I pulled out the app plugged in. The charge session worked perfectly normally, ran at a constant 47+kW (125A), and added sufficient charge while the kids were fed and watered in the services.

It's actually my first time using Ecotricity (in 2+ years of EV ownership). I've always shied away from them due to the negative publicity on here. I did, however, check the charger was not an old DBT model, as I've had issues with those on the Polar network in the past.
Don't fear the DBT Chargers. They actually work fine with the i3 in my experience. Even the triple headers which don't seem to like other brands are absolutely fine with BMW. Ecotricity maintain them far more than Polar do, so they tend to get more of the updates and patches when new ones are released for compatibility (though this is more of a criticism of Polar's maintenance, rather than me praising Ecotricity, to be clear)

We'll only be seeing these chargers for a couple more months or so now anyways, but especially in a car like yours I wouldn't be put off by the charger brand. The i3 seems happy enough to charge anywhere, unlike some other brands of car.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Unfortunately, I've tried three of the "free" polar DBT chargers in Wiltshire, and they all fail after couple of minutes.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. Ecotricity push out the compatibility updates to the chargers. Polar have more or less abandoned their DBT Chargers. I Regularly charge a i3 on Ecotricity DBT Chargers and have had a 100% Success rate with them for over a year now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had my first case of range anxiety today after arriving at Sarn Services Ecotrcity pump in Bridgend. Failed to charge! Both pumps faulty. One of the two was charging but super super slowly :(

Leaf 24kw model with 32% on arrival, made for nervous times!

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
44 Posts
Don't own a leaf so this is a guess but 32% of 24Kw is 8Kw so around 25-30 miles but that would take you to zero, not a good idea so say 15-20 miles

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Don't own a leaf so this is a guess but 32% of 24Kw is 8Kw so around 25-30 miles but that would take you to zero, not a good idea so say 15-20 miles
Not quite. A 24kWh LEAF is just under 22kWh usable when brand new I believe. And most of them by now will have seen a fair amount of degradation and lost their first bar of health. So assume maybe 17-18kWh when fully charged now. Then if we consider the very real possibility of weak cells which make your battery rapidly discharge when you drop below about 20% remaining (a very common thing with old LEAFs) then you may not be looking at a great deal of range out of 32%. With that SOC if I wasn't very familiar with the car, road and surrounding area's charging infrastructure I don't think I would want to be pushing it anything beyond 10 more miles, especially since this is on a motorway.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
535 Posts
How long does it usually take Ecotricity to finalise/ reverse a card payment?

I had £12 taken on 30/3. Charge failed, so expecting the £12 back, but nothing yet.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

I had £12 taken on 30/3. Charge failed, so expecting the £12 back, but nothing yet.
That depends on your bank. If the charge fails they simply don't claim the payment so it depends with them how long it will take. Usually it would be on the 8th day the pre-auth would drop off, but I know a few banks will hold on to a pending transaction for up to a full month.

As for a successful charge, it's an average 3-4 business days for them to claim the payment.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts

Are you sure you aren't confusing the pre-authorisation with an actual charge? They can be a bit slow reversing the pre-auth but although it counts against your credit limit it won't ever appear on an actual bill. If they've actually taken money and it doesn't match the electrons delivered you need to complain but not if its just a hold against your credit limit.

·
Registered
12 Posts

From watching this video on YT
it took a month to clear and that was because the bank cleared it automatically. Seems ecotricity don’t actively clear funds.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have to pay pre-authorisation fees on my Ecotricity account, looking at my bank statement today, they took £2.22 for my first charging stop at Southwaite Services on the M6. The main problem I had with that charger was my card had expired and I had to update my card details but eventually it worked. Return journey stopped at Tebay Services which was on free vend, then stopped at Killington Lake services to see if I could get the dead charger to work. Again more problems, the app failed to work had to restart my phone, then the charger wouldn't communicate with the Zoe, seemed to be a bad connection as it started and stopped a few times. Swapped to the other charger and it worked OK and looking at my bank statement charged me £0.33. I use Smile for my banking.

I can understand why the general public would not tolerate such hoops and hurdles to get a charge, but hopefully these issues will get solved by Grid serve, I always say to my mates who don't believe in EVs that they are missing out on that sense of adventure because when they get EV's in 5 years time most of this will be sorted by then or Tesla's will be affordable and Supercharging technology rocks as we know!

841 - 860 of 863 Posts