Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After your opinions before I go down the route of claiming I was mis-sold my wall charger.

I have a Rolec Wallpoint. The smart one with the Homesmart EV app. In the literature I was given before purchasing it shows and states options to see state of charge, start and stop charging and set charge times, as well as other functions. However, having had use of this for the past few months I have established:

• The state of charge information is only available if you have a Tesla
  • There is no simple function to start and stop a charge
  • The only way to schedule a charge is to set your electricity tariff and then set when you want the car charged by

From the literature I was given, I believed it would be possible to control the charger to charge the car to say 80% by 9am. This is simply not possible and the brochure is entirely misleading.

Other wall points may not offer these functions either, but how can they advertise these functions when they are simply not available to all vehicles. The literature even says “HomeSmart EV is compatible with all EVs and enables the EV driver to completely control and manage their charging point via their mobile phone”

I am sure this charger is completely fine if all you want to do is have your car 100% charged by a certain time, but it certainly does not give you the “full control” it claims.

Rolec’s technical department have been very helpful, but the functions simply aren’t there.

Has anyone else come up against something similar?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how you get on with this. Did you purchase the unit directly from Rolec or via a third party supplier?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it through a Rolec approved installer with the grant funding etc.
I can work around most of the issues with the car settings but i dont know if the next car will have the same options. Its really frustrating that they're advertising these functions and you cant even do something simple like stop the charging. They said i could do this by setting it to only charge off peak and then set the threshold to 0p. Hardly a start/stop button!
Do other charge points offer better options??

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
No 7kW charger can determine state of charge, as this is not avaiable vis the charge port interface. Some car manufacturers provide an interface to their telematics to allow remote acces, but for those cars that don't, there is no way for a charger to determine state of charge.
The literature even says “HomeSmart EV is compatible with all EVs and enables the EV driver to completely control and manage their charging point via their mobile phone”
Borderline misleading - if you interpret "completely" as including any function that needs to know state of charge, then it's simply untrue.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'm not sure that I agree. The unit will charge most EVs (on a dumb basis) and you can switch the unit on and off from the app. That it will not do so on as smart a basis as say an Ohme or OVO unit doesn't seem to be promised in that quote.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the people behind the app have focused too much on trying to make the unit 'smart' and ignoring the most basic of controls, such as a simple on and off button and user defined times.
I set my golf to pre heat at 8am. I have Octopus Go so set the car to charge between 12.30 and 4.30. I want the car to pre heat in the morning using the battery to save money and reduce the strain on the grid at a potential peak time. However there is no way to shut off the power to the wall charger in the morning, whilst also enabling it to charge during the night. Rolec have tried to help but it just doesn't seem possible. Its too complicated with the smart charging and not knowing when the wall charger will liven up.
Funny that they also advertise being able to export charging data to Excel. When i asked about that they said you have to email them and they manually send you the file for whatever dates you want...i guess they're hoping not too many people actually want that...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want the car to pre heat in the morning using the battery to save money and reduce the strain on the grid at a potential peak time. However there is no way to shut off the power to the wall charger in the morning, whilst also enabling it to charge during the night.
If you set the off peak threshold below the peak rate (I use 8p/kWh) and select 'Only Charge Off-Peak?' then the charger won't cut in again until the next off-peak period. In your case on Go, 00.30.

The same applies if you need to add more than can be added in the 4 hour Go window. If 'Only Charge Off-Peak?' is selected it will stop the charge after 4 hours, regardless of the battery state of charge.

Or, get out of bed before 8am!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you set the off peak threshold below the peak rate (I use 8p/kWh) and select 'Only Charge Off-Peak?' then the charger won't cut in again until the next off-peak period. In your case on Go, 00.30.

The same applies if you need to add more than can be added in the 4 hour Go window. If 'Only Charge Off-Peak?' is selected it will stop the charge after 4 hours, regardless of the battery state of charge.

Or, get out of bed before 8am!
Thanks. This is what Rolec advised but it just doesnt work with the Golf. Unsure why. Even if i disable the charging times in the golf entirely so there is no interferance. Have you got yours setup this way?

Unsure what you mean by getting out of bed. I get up at 5.30am (arent chidren wonderful), but we dont leave the house until 8, so i set the pre heat at 8am. I am awake before then i can do a manual thing to shut it off but there isnt an easy way of doing this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, mine is set up like this. It works fine with our i3S.

Probably a stupid question, but you do have Smart Charging enabled on the app? You mention in one of your posts that you had a timer set in the car. Our car is set to charge immediately.

If yours is set on the app to only charge off peak and the threshold is less than the Octopus Go peak rate where you are I can’t understand why it charges outside of the 4 hour window. As a test could you run the battery down so that you need more than 28kWh (4 hours on a 7kW charger) and see if it leaves your Golf with less than 100% charge? If it does there’s no reason why it should come on when pre-heating.

Tongue in cheek about getting up earlier, but the only fool proof option may be to nip outside and remove the cable before it starts pre-heating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts