Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been charging my Ampera very happily with the granny charger at home plus occasional podpoint chargers whilst out and about... We do not have off-road parking and a very kind neighbor offered to let me use his charger - which I did today.( pics below) It wouldn't charge. And nor can I charge now with my granny charger. Green light not coming on and car not charging at all.

As will be evident by now I'm not techy in any way and wondering if someone here could suggest what could have a happened and possible solutions...

Thanks in advance
geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Its just a mains outlet. So unless you have physically damaged a pin on the charge plug, there is nothing that the charge outlet could electrically do to cause a fault. Make sure the car connector is properly latching . If the latch doesnt lock the small microswitch in the type 1 connector wont operate.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Looking at the photo the power light looks to be either off or red/amber this could be indication that the wall unit isn't working properly.
If you can charge on PodPoint then the problem will be the unit.
The granny charger should be used only as last resource and not as day-to-day process.
Check if the switchs are on and if you get power to the unit.
You won't be the first person complaining that the granny charger is bust..

·
Registered
998 Posts
Looking at the photo the power light looks to be either off or red/amber this could be indication that the wall unit isn't working properly.
I have a similar unit, that orange light is the normal working light without a car connected to the unit. When charging there is another green light below that lights up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a similar unit, that orange light is the normal working light without a car connected to the unit. When charging there is another green light below that lights up.
I stand corrected :)

my unit works between green and blue.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have one of these and used for years!, If the car is set on charge "Immediately" and the unit is unlocked (Key switch) then plug into the Chargemaster and make sure the T2 Plug is home. Connect to the Amp with the T1 plug and make sure it clicks in, shortly there should be a "Clunk" as the contactor pulls in.
On the amp dashboard the charge light should start orange then go green on the clunk. Green is charging, flashing green is on delayed charge or finished.

The Granny lead should still be OK but does the dash light come on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
They use their charger daily and successfully for their two EV’s - Its working fine..

have used granny charger successfully for the 6 months I’ve had the car. After I plugged into my neighbours Chargemaster socket to try (unsuccessfully) to charge, I then plugged in my granny charger at home which now won’t work!? Dash light does not come on...

I have one of these and used for years!, If the car is set on charge "Immediately" and the unit is unlocked (Key switch) then plug into the Chargemaster and make sure the T2 Plug is home. Connect to the Amp with the T1 plug and make sure it clicks in, shortly there should be a "Clunk" as the contactor pulls in.
On the amp dashboard the charge light should start orange then go green on the clunk. Green is charging, flashing green is on delayed charge or finished.

The Granny lead should still be OK but does the dash light come on?
- have used
If you can charge on PodPoint then the problem will be the unit.
The granny charger should be used only as last resource and not as day-to-day process.
Check if the switchs are on and if you get power to the unit.
You won't be the first person complaining that the granny charger is bust..

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,024 Posts
Geoff, plug in to the charger/socket first, and then plug into your car. You should get a couple of horn tones.

If the charge doesn't start immediately, remove the plug from your car and then immediately reinsert it. You should not get more blips but your car should start charging. Doing this overrides any timer settings on the car.

There are two sets of settings on the car, firstly the timed charge which I would guess you are aware of, and secondly there is another set of timers which prevents you charging in peak rate hours.

If the 'double plug-in' doesn't work on at least two charge outlets, which are showing the correct functional lights, then it is possible there is a problem with the car.

There is nothing you can do to break this (short of mechanical damage if you get frustrated and are jumping on it, or take a hammer to it!! ;) ), it is designed to be robust to dumb use.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Dash light not working implies no connection / no voltage / sensing not working.
Before anything else reboot the car - as in turn off! then disconnect the battery under the boot floor for 5 mins and reconnect.

Check with a pod point, hopefully one is near you have used before. If that fails to work its your local Service agent. If there is a member here moderately local you can ask if you can try their granny lead or perhaps they can try yours.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The voltec portable EVSE was notoriously unreliable. Mine was changed under guarantee twice but that was for mains plug overheating rather than it stopping working.
My GM wall charger just stopped working one day, no fuses blown - just played dead.
I think your granny charger may have just coincidentally expired. Have you tried a public charge point?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Donald

Will try this later today- Mrs has the car... I’m not getting the usual morn tones or a light? :-(

Cheers
Geoff, plug in to the charger/socket first, and then plug into your car. You should get a couple of horn tones.

If the charge doesn't start immediately, remove the plug from your car and then immediately reinsert it. You should not get more blips but your car should start charging. Doing this overrides any timer settings on the car.

There are two sets of settings on the car, firstly the timed charge which I would guess you are aware of, and secondly there is another set of timers which prevents you charging in peak rate hours.

If the 'double plug-in' doesn't work on at least two charge outlets, which are showing the correct functional lights, then it is possible there is a problem with the car.

There is nothing you can do to break this (short of mechanical damage if you get frustrated and are jumping on it, or take a hammer to it!! ;) ), it is designed to be robust to dumb use.
ald

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This might sound silly/obvious, but the first thing I'd try is plugging your granny charger into a different mains socket, preferably one on a solid ring main? If you plug the granny charger into a confirmed live mains socket (plug something else into it first, e.g. a lamp), then plug it into the Ampera, and you get neither an amber or green light on the dashboard charging status light at the base of the windscreen, then something is dead. If you get an amber light but it never goes green, then probably your battery management controller ECU in the car is dead.

I think the granny charger has a power LED on it which should light even if no car is connected? Can't remember though. Do you get any lights at all on the granny charger at any point?

It might not be a coincidence. The battery management/charging controller is a known weakness in these cars (mine was changed 4 months back and others have had the same); a 16A wall charger can provide more current than a 10A granny charger, particularly the initial in-rush current on first connection, and it's possible this has pushed it over the edge.

Incidentally you'll get a lot more replies if you ask an Admin to move it to the Ampera forum, rather than general GM EV forum...

·
Registered
699 Posts
If the fault seems to be with the car try disconnecting the 12 v battery for a few minutes which may just reset it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts