Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've got a Model S P85 that i have difficulty selling because of paperwork issues. So, why not use it as a donor car for a cool conversion. Classic car, Volkswagen T2 RV, fancy speedboat, ...?

I'm hoping a straight pull out of the Models S into the recipient vehicle will work, but not sure. Ideally the dash and (almost) all functions should come along. But not all are possible. E.g. door mechanisms and power windows and such are not gonna be present on a speedboat, so i wonder if this is going to give error messages or even errors debilitating the drive train...

cheers,
steve

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was looking into upgrading a sailboat with an electric motor. Regen while sailing, use electricity at anchor/in marina.

I guess a 85kWh pack would be overkill, but if you can fit it close to the keel, that’ll give the sloop amazing balance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have a watch of Rich Rebuilds on Youtube. He's done a few interesting things reusing Tesla motors and batteries. And he shows you quite a lot of the process. And I find him quite entertaining. But that's subjective.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd love an electric boat, but would probably vote camper as it would be more practical (personally).

^^^^^Wot ‘e says!
Small point @Wolfieofbaildon - the number of ^‘s you use tends to refer to how many posts above your comment is about, not how excited you are about it! You indicate 5 posts above, which is the original message though. I guess you are a camper van fan though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys!!!
The opinions are mixed so i'll do a little market research on which option would create more value. There just might be a market for +$60.000 classic speedboats and/or VW T2 van with Tesla tech inside...
Hope i can take the Tesla dashboard along. That probably requires going 'in' the Model S operating system to fool it inot believing all the windows are up, doors closed, roof closed, etc..

What do you think of this version: a speedboat hull underneath the integral car (minus wheels). Funny but ugly, or cool?

·
Registered
690 Posts
thanks guys!!!
The opinions are mixed so i'll do a little market research on which option would create more value. There just might be a market for +$60.000 classic speedboats and/or VW T2 van with Tesla tech inside...
Hope i can take the Tesla dashboard along. That probably requires going 'in' the Model S operating system to fool it inot believing all the windows are up, doors closed, roof closed, etc..

What do you think of this version: a speedboat hull underneath the integral car (minus wheels). Funny but ugly, or cool?
I would have to go with funny but ugly. Likely to be overweight and very unstable - too big, and too much weight too high. Google 'righting moment'
Automotive quality electrics and materials are really not suitable for a marine (salt water) environment.
Range and performance are also likely to be disappointing - even fully stripped down you are going to have a massive weight penalty - hydrodynamic drag is going to be terrible.

How about something like this 😎

I am not sure you will be able to use much more than the battery and the BMS, but for a money no object project rather than a commercial proposition go for it.
Bear in mind the pounding it will take in a boat far outweighs what it will have been designed for in a car, especially if you get the wrong hull.

BMW already sell I3 battery packs for marine applications, eg Torqeedo

Might give you a few ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts