Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I purchased a used Passat GTE back in October 2020.

Only now though I have found out that it has had its Mechatronic unit as well as a turbo replaced back in 2020 and 2019 respectively. The car is an October 2016 reg.

This has been fixed right before I bought the car. I must admit I haven't noticed this in the history when I was buying the car (numpty me).

From your experience and ownership, have you had anything serious fail in your GTE?

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
79 Posts
Not a GTE owner but a previous VW and Passat owner. Those issues aren’t specific to EV or PHeV - I was reading about those years ago so I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Turbos in particular are one of those things that either lasts forever or just fails. Both things have been replaced so you shouldn’t have any problems, but do consider an extended warranty when your current one runs out! (General guidance - I’m doing the same!)

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I had a mechatronics failure on my old non-GTE Passat. My dealer said that mine was the 2nd mechatronics failure that they'd ever had. A friend has the same model of DSG that I had fail (albeit in a Skoda) and he has had zero problems. The take home from that is that it's down to luck
Both things have been replaced so you shouldn’t have any problems, but do consider an extended warranty when your current one runs out!
Double check if the gearbox and turbo would be covered by the extended warranty or if it only covers factory fitted parts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had two Passat GTE's . The first one had a mechatronics unit fail and other things. The second has electrical gremlins in the infotainment system we connect and the dash.
VW are pretty hopeless at sorting it out.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My Golf GTE has had:
  • hybrid battery fault (related to 93C9 recall)
  • 12V battery fuse failed
  • parking brake switch failed (fault code and warning due to faulty LED - no other symptoms)
  • charge port actuator lock failed
  • charge port door lock failed
  • a gearbox selector warning (doesn't seem too critical - common issue with this generation of Golf)

I think I got a Friday car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did 44k miles in my Passat GTE in 2.5 years and the only issue I had was an intermittently blank infotainment screen that was replaced under warranty. A really fantastic car. If yours has been repaired at main dealer then new parts such as mechatronic unit should come with a warranty, I wouldn’t worry unduly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Rear main seal went at 2 years/50k miles. VW had it a week, apparently it took a day alone to strip the subframe and gearbox from the car. Then the same again to reassemble.

Cooling fans failed at 3 years/70k miles and the car overheated. To add to the fun I snapped the bonnet cable at the bonnet end trying to check the coolant level and they had to disassemble the front of the car to get access before diagnosing the fault.

I also had the panoramic sunroof fail which led to a replacement unit being fitted.

I love the car but I'm glad i don't own it

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's been a great car to be honest. However it has had three repairs that would have been north of £1k each if you were paying a garage yourself.
I've ordered a superb iV next because you can't get a Passat GTE in an actual colour any more (other than red), so it's not put me off the platform!

·
Registered
59 Posts
3 years and 65k here, hybrid system bricked itself once a year back, AA came out and forced a reset (rebooted it basically I think). Other than that it's been faultless, great car.

Was hoping to get an ID4 next but with the 3k grant being pulled doubt they will appear on the company car list. The GTE Advance is still there, for now, might have to bite the bullet and order one while I can.

Agree on the non-colours, most boring selection ever and the red doesn't suit the car with the blue accents. Give us Lapiz blue VW!

·
Registered
59 Posts
The aquamarine blue is stunning, why can't we have this in the UK? You can have it on the standard models and on the GTE in Germany at least by the look of it

·
Registered
90 Posts
That does look nice! I don't get why they aren't available, even as a special order, seeing as they make them in the same factory

·
Registered
69 Posts
Worst problem I've had is (since new) the air con system has a leak so the coolant empties over the course of 3 months. Been in 3 times so far and still not fixed, had seals and valves replaced.

Not a huge problem in winter but the garage I use isn't certified to work on EV so I have to book it into another dealer.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My Golf GTE has had:
  • hybrid battery fault (related to 93C9 recall)
  • 12V battery fuse failed
  • parking brake switch failed (fault code and warning due to faulty LED - no other symptoms)
  • charge port actuator lock failed
  • charge port door lock failed
  • a gearbox selector warning (doesn't seem too critical - common issue with this generation of Golf)

I think I got a Friday car.
I don’t want to be a VW knocker, but VW “reliability” is a complete myth, started by VW themselves in the 80’s

Remember the “If only everything in life were as reliable as a Volkswagen” campaigns? Great ads, and done because they were getting a really bad reputation for reliability just as the Japanese cars got popular.

If you look at all the reliability surveys now you will see the Japs at the top along with the Koreans and then the rest come in, but VW very mid to low table....

They are lovely cars, but reliability is not a strength

1 - 15 of 15 Posts