Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members - Not sure if this has been mentioned on other posts, or if anybody has witnessed the following I have seen today.
On a trip out in the car today in terrible weather conditions, about 4 miles away from home with the radio playing.
The info screen suddenly turned black, the radio was still playing but I noticed that at the very bottom of the screen, I could JUST about see a very thin line of orange, green & blue colour.
As if the home screen had compressed itself into a then line about 2mm across the bottom of the screen.
Then after about a 60 seconds, the coloured home screen suddenly reappeared as if like magic.
As we pulled up on the drive my wife opened the passengers and as she did, the info screen went black again and the radio turned off this time !.
The car has not been powered down yet !.
Then, the info screen lite up with the MG logo and the radio came back on.
It had done a complete reboot for some strange reason ?.
Unsure if was just a fluke that it happened when the passengers door was opened, can't see the connection there really?.
A "Bug" in the system maybe, this is the first time I have witnessed this behaviour.
Anybody else please ??????.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think someone said it runs Windows Embedded if true it could explain a lot!
Shit :poop: !.
Don't say that, I though I left them issues behind when I moved over to Mac a couple of years ago !.
Does sound about right though, NOT what you need if you are depending on the Sat Nav on a busy motorway and the bloody thing decides to reboot !.
Computer says, NO !.
Never had this before, really weird ??????.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes - screen went black. No reboot, no reversing camera to manouevre back out, nothing until the next journey.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It happened today for the first time. The garage is an hour away...

Will wait and see.
My dealership is over an hour away also, only collected the car a week ago today, so no hurry to return there just yet ( unless I have to of course ).
Somebody with the same issue, that tells me they will be ALL affected by the same issue at some point in the future - GOOD !.
Please I don't mean that in any nasty way folks.
It's just that the more cars that are affected, the quicker a fix will be found and sorted and put to bed.
I was an early adopter when I bought my previous VW plugin hybrid.
When you are an early adopter, the manufacture relies on the owners to provide feedback on the issues / niggles that they KNOW there will be.
We are some way the "test bed" to find the problems in the real world.
They are not stupid, we are the "Guinea Pigs" for their product.
When I offered up my VW for its first service that should have taken about 2 hours, the car was not finished by the end of the working day !.
When I collected the car the following day, the senior tech said that is it normal to apply about one or two updates to a car on it's first service IF its a new model.
My car had 13 updates to apply in one go, he said in his 15 years of service it was a FIRST time he had ever applied this many updates to any VW in one single visit to a dealership.
Clearly, that is why there was a delay returning my car the previous day.
I get a similar feeling that the MG will be flooding the ZS EV with updates over the next few months.
It has some serious "Bugs" that needs eradicating very quickly.
The quicker they can be found and reported, the quicker they can be killed off.
I get the feeling the car has been rushed through the build process just a little.
For example, the car not having the ability to provide a delayed overnight charge and the issue of selling a space saver wheel & tyre that was found did not fit.
Who reported BOTH of these issues, the owners for god's sake !.
Need I say anymore folks - NO.
This is "Bread and Butter" stuff really MG.
Who the hell takes good additional money from it's new customers, in exchange for them to provide a space saver wheel & tyre, that would offer an increase to their security in the event of a break down.
Then to discover on the side of the motorway at 2.00am in the morning, that in fact the wheel does not even fit the bloody hub.
It has been sorted now, after a customer made YOU aware of the problem.
This is a "Gravy" job, you are totally embarrassing your customers, please stop it !.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - screen went black. No reboot, no reversing camera to manouevre back out, nothing until the next journey.
I will try and speak to the dealer today and ask them if they will contact MG customer support to ascertain if they have received any reports of this problem and if so, do they have a fix ?.
Another software bug I suspect, the list is growing by the day !.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,964 Posts
I think someone said it runs Windows Embedded if true it could explain a lot!
I doubt that somehow.

Personally I’d be taking that to the garage.
After it happened once? First rule of fault finding, is the fault repeatable, if not it was probably a one of transient issue. Dealer will humour you, and leave the car parked up for the day before calling you 1 hour before closing up to say no fault found. ;)

It has some serious "Bugs" that needs eradicating very quickly.
Care to elaborate on these "bugs"? So far I've only seen many whines about features people don't like and want change, but they're hardly bugs, perhaps bugging in that they are annoying.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two recorded incidents where the many info unit has fallen over on its arse on two different cars.
Not really a problem if you are just listening to the radio, but can be a bummer if you are using the Sat Nav at the time when it goes tits up.
On the first occasion in my car, the screen went black for a short while and then recovered itself.
On the second occasion only five mins later, the screen went completely black again and the radio stopped working.
It was a complete failure / shut down because the unit then rebooted with out even touching anything or restarting the car.
The screen was displaying the MG logo as it rebooted.
That’s not acceptable when you have no ability to adjust anything that is controlled through that main head unit.
Nav / Phone / Hvac etc etc !.
Dealer has said they need the car to run a software check before contacting MG direct.
I have told them I wish to wait a week to log any further incidents and speak to other affected owners first.
The dealer is a 140 mile round trip, and I have already told them it’s not sitting on the car park all day for nothing.
I have been told that the software update for the delayed charging issue was done prior to delivery last week.
I need to get my dumb Rolec unit fitted with a timer switch before I can try it out !.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I need to get my dumb Rolec unit fitted with a timer switch before I can try it out !.
Worth plugging the car into the Rolec when it is switched off, coming back an hour later and seeing if turning the Rolec on gives a charge. At least that will prove that all is well before you take the car back for the other issue.

Reactions: Carty

·
Zoe Devotee
8,964 Posts
Ok, so thats one bug and not serious. Its not like a sudden power failure, that would be serious. Good news is its "just" the head unit, so a bug fix can be investigated and if it turns out there is just odd dodgy unit they can replace them. (y)

Does the HVAC not work when the stereo is off/rebooting? Do the controls do nothing? Or is it just that you can't see what setting you've selected?

Reactions: Carty

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,637 Posts
In 12 months of Zoe ownership I've noticed the head unit reboot once. It was carrying out satnav functions too. It carried on right where it left off but I was somewhere I knew so it wasn't too bad. It was probably a 20-30 second interruption.

Does MG head unit behave differently if you're using bluetooth music rather than radio? Could it be tuned to a DAB station which might switch over to an FM signal all of a sudden? Are traffic announcements or similar likely to be causing a weird interruption?

There's quite a few possibilities of why it would suddenly just fall over.

Does it have an SD card? Is it possible to run it without the SD card in to see whether it behaved differently?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so thats one bug and not serious. Its not like a sudden power failure, that would be serious. Good news is its "just" the head unit, so a bug fix can be investigated and if it turns out there is just odd dodgy unit they can replace them. (y)

Does the HVAC not work when the stereo is off/rebooting? Do the controls do nothing? Or is it just that you can't see what setting you've selected?
Hi @Sandy
Sorry I have no idea if shuts down the Hvac controls as well.
It was not down long enough to try it.
Maybe the Hvac controls will still respond, but you have little idea what the hell you are adjusting because you have no display to indicate your request.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In 12 months of Zoe ownership I've noticed the head unit reboot once. It was carrying out satnav functions too. It carried on right where it left off but I was somewhere I knew so it wasn't too bad. It was probably a 20-30 second interruption.

Does MG head unit behave differently if you're using bluetooth music rather than radio? Could it be tuned to a DAB station which might switch over to an FM signal all of a sudden? Are traffic announcements or similar likely to be causing a weird interruption?

There's quite a few possibilities of why it would suddenly just fall over.

Does it have an SD card? Is it possible to run it without the SD card in to see whether it behaved differently?
The unit was only being used to play a Dab radio station at the time of the failure.
Phone not even connected at any point of the trip either.
It was really strange ?.
Screen suddenly turned black.
But you could just about see a thin coloured line across the very bottom of the screen is was about 2 mm thick.
Just as if the display had been compressed into that very small part of the screen !.
The second time it black screened, the music stopped and it went into full reboot all on its own.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Worth plugging the car into the Rolec when it is switched off, coming back an hour later and seeing if turning the Rolec on gives a charge. At least that will prove that all is well before you take the car back for the other issue.
Sorry, can you expand on your kind suggestion please ?.
Currently I have NO timer fitted to my 3 year old 32Amp wall box.
Therefore I am unable to test if the Delayed Charge software works correctly.
One other member who has had the update done, but has no wall box as of yet.
Has used the supplied Granny unit and placed a plug in timer between the three pin plug and the 13 Amp socket outlet on the wall.
Then, set the timer for the charge to commence in the middle of the night.
He wanted to test if the car would work after the software update had been applied.
Yes, it did respond to the request to delay charge.
He is now confident that his car will delay charge when his wall box is fitted !.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,637 Posts
The unit was only being used to play a Dab radio station at the time of the failure.
Is the location where this happened near home or too far away? I'm just wondering if you drive back there whether it will trigger it to fail in the same way again...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well add my car radio stopping playing as I adjusted my fan speed today! Tried volume up and down , mute and unmute - nothing! Apple CarPlay still worked..

1 - 20 of 91 Posts