Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

Registered
Sorry, can you expand on your kind suggestion please ?.
Currently I have NO timer fitted to my 3 year old 32Amp wall box.
Therefore I am unable to test if the Delayed Charge software works correctly.
One other member who has had the update done, but has no wall box as of yet.
Has used the supplied Granny unit and placed a plug in timer between the three pin plug and the 13 Amp socket outlet on the wall.
Then, set the timer for the charge to commence in the middle of the night.
He wanted to test if the car would work after the software update had been applied.
Yes, it did respond to the request to delay charge.
He is now confident that his car will delay charge when his wall box is fitted !.
I think the suggestion was to turn the charger off at the main switch / circuit breaker, plug in to the car whilst it's turned off, and then (sometime later) turn on the charger. If the car starts charging, you'll know that a timed charge should work. Just the same as your timeswitch example, except you're the time switch!

Zoe Devotee
In 12 months of Zoe ownership I've noticed the head unit reboot once. It was carrying out satnav functions too. It carried on right where it left off but I was somewhere I knew so it wasn't too bad. It was probably a 20-30 second interruption.

Does MG head unit behave differently if you're using bluetooth music rather than radio? Could it be tuned to a DAB station which might switch over to an FM signal all of a sudden? Are traffic announcements or similar likely to be causing a weird interruption?

There's quite a few possibilities of why it would suddenly just fall over.

Does it have an SD card? Is it possible to run it without the SD card in to see whether it behaved differently?
I recall my Zoe has rebooted its rlink a couple of times in the last few years. And its had problems with android auto (weird ones, where Amazon music was working but calling up the wrong track, weird and then after shutting down car it was fine again. Granted it did have something like 8 long term fault tickets logged with Rlink support which I dropped after 3 years of ownership, they are probably still evident in new Zoes now.

Hi @Sandy
Sorry I have no idea if shuts down the Hvac controls as well.
It was not down long enough to try it.
Maybe the Hvac controls will still respond, but you have little idea what the hell you are adjusting because you have no display to indicate your request.
Ah sorry, I just picked up that you mentioned when it rebooted you couldn't use hvac amongst other things.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
This w
Is the location where this happened near home or too far away? I'm just wondering if you drive back there whether it will trigger it to fail in the same way again...
This worth consideration, the second incident happened almost right out side of our house !.
It has been in this location a few times now, so this maybe unlikely.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I think the suggestion was to turn the charger off at the main switch / circuit breaker, plug in to the car whilst it's turned off, and then (sometime later) turn on the charger. If the car starts charging, you'll know that a timed charge should work. Just the same as your timeswitch example, except you're the time switch!
I think I am with you now ?.
So, remove the electrical supply to the wall box, then plug in the car and then lock the car.
Leave a couple of hours THEN turn on the breaker, if it starts to charge your sorted.
I though the software fix worked, because after plugging in the car, it would continue to pull a very small charge through the cable to keep the system from going to sleep ?.
If this is true, how does it receive ANY trickle charge if you have turned off the juice to the wall box ?.
The same could be said of a mechanical timer used on the "Granny" lead then ?.
No power is allowed to the car until it reaches the allotted time frame surely.
I am even more confused now !.
HELP !.

Registered
Is there any pattern that could be attributed as a cause? For example, were you accelerating or braking, or hit a pothole. I'm thinking if there is a loose connection then vibration or lateral forces could set it off. If you can reproduce the fault then you should get it on video and send it to your dealer who can advise further, rather than do a long drive to take it to them only for them to not be able to recreate the fault and you have to return home without it fixed.

Registered
So, remove the electrical supply to the wall box, then plug in the car and then lock the car.
Leave a couple of hours THEN turn on the breaker, if it starts to charge your sorted.
I though the software fix worked, because after plugging in the car, it would continue to pull a very small charge through the cable to keep the system from going to sleep ?.
If this is true, how does it receive ANY trickle charge if you have turned off the juice to the wall box ?.
HELP !.
Yes that's the suggestion - can't hurt to give it a go. If it worked with a timer on the granny lead then it will work with a wall box as described above. I don't know the detail of the MG fix so can't comment on that.

Registered
HELP !.
It worked on my Pod Point charger. Switched it off at the mcb, plugged the car in at 6pm. Switched the mcb back on at 12:30 and car charged ok. Charge registered on the app too, 25.7kwh added.

Registered
HELP !.
There are two ways that the timer can be inserted into the circuit - one that allows trickle charging to prevent the car "going to sleep" and the other that only turns any supply on at a particular time. From @Norfolk Dumpling 's post the latter works which is the best solution anyway!

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
It worked on my Pod Point charger. Switched it off at the mcb, plugged the car in at 6pm. Switched the mcb back on at 12:30 and car charged ok. Charge registered on the app too, 25.7kwh added.
Thank you @Norfolk Dumpling
I will give it a try !.
No App, will take a note of the SOC before and after the trial !.
The car is currently sitting on the drive with roughly 80 miles of range still on the GOM but we have no trips planned for a couple of days.
I will be extremely happy if it works, because I can then organise getting a mechanical timer installed in my 3 year old Rolec wall box.

Registered
Duplicate post removed.

Strange that Rolec's "smart" solution apparently used a trickle charge. Perhaps that has been superseded by the MG update?
I assume Rolec's "smart" solution is just a work around to charge using an app. I suspect theirs may work just the same if
Thank you @Norfolk Dumpling
I will give it a try !.
No App, will take a note of the SOC before and after the trial !.
The car is currently sitting on the drive with roughly 80 miles of range still on the GOM but we have no trips planned for a couple of days.
I will be extremely happy if it works, because I can then organise getting a mechanical timer installed in my 3 year old Rolec wall box.
I think it should work ok. I think Rolec's solution is just to enable charging using their app. I suspect it would delay the charge if it was switched off at the mains and then had the power restored when needed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Is there any pattern that could be attributed as a cause? For example, were you accelerating or braking, or hit a pothole. I'm thinking if there is a loose connection then vibration or lateral forces could set it off. If you can reproduce the fault then you should get it on video and send it to your dealer who can advise further, rather than do a long drive to take it to them only for them to not be able to recreate the fault and you have to return home without it fixed.
I follow your train of though, thanks.
But on reflection, there was nothing i could think of that could have caused this situation to happen ?.
No potholes, not braking, just steady progress.
The weather was terrible, heavy wind and rain.
But it was the same on the day we collected the car and we drove about the same distance.
It's a bit of an odd one alright.
But I am not on my own, two other owners have reported the same thing in the last 24 hours.

Registered
I see that Rolec offer a mechanical timer in current versions of their wallbox. I wonder whether they'll sell you one to retrofit? Or do you have other plans?

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Well add my car radio stopping playing as I adjusted my fan speed today! Tried volume up and down , mute and unmute - nothing! Apple CarPlay still worked..
Hi ZSEVuser
Did the radio just stop playing music, or did you get the "Black Screen Of Death" at the same time ?.
When did it start working again ?.
Did it fix itself, or did you have to power the car down and then back up in order to get a result ?.
Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
I see that Rolec offer a mechanical timer in current versions of their wallbox. I wonder whether they'll sell you one to retrofit? Or do you have other plans?
When I ordered my 32 Amp Rolec unit over 3 years ago, Rolec offered a mechanical timer to be installed for a small cost.
Because I could set delayed charging from the head unit on my previous car, I did not need it !.
I am sorry now of course.
This what I have in mind from this company.
This should fit onto the "Din" rail along side the original breaker switch that is already there of course.
Another member has sent me a picture of his new wall box and it appears to have the very same timer switch installed.
He has had the update done at MG and it works great in conjunction with the mechanical time in the unit.

Registered
Hi ZSEVuser
Did the radio just stop playing music, or did you get the "Black Screen Of Death" at the same time ?.
When did it start working again ?.
Did it fix itself, or did you have to power the car down and then back up in order to get a result ?.
Thanks.
Screen remained on throughout just no sound! Yet music played fine via CarPlay. I tried switching off the unit and back on no difference.

I haven鈥檛 noticed if it鈥檚 back ok because I haven鈥檛 had my phone connected since.

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Screen remained on throughout just no sound! Yet music played fine via CarPlay. I tried switching off the unit and back on no difference.

I haven鈥檛 noticed if it鈥檚 back ok because I haven鈥檛 had my phone connected since.
So, you only lost the radio transmission then, not had the blank black screen.
When you completely turned off the car, then powered it up again, did it restore music via the radio channels ?.

Registered
I experienced the black screen issue this evening. Car was stationary and I had just unplugged the charger.
Turned car on and main screen was black. Pushing button didn't bring it back to life..
Turned car off and restarted. Everything was then ok.
Will keep an eye on things.
Have another couple of issues.
1. Rattle that starts at the A pillar and works it way round to just in front of driver. More apparent over rough ground and seems to disappear when the car is warm. Beginning to wonder if the windscreen is not bedded in correctly.
2. Noise that sounds like a hand brake pull coming from the brakes. It seems to happen when I'm slowing down and also pulling away. Frustrating thing is that it doesnt happen all the time. Intermittent and first thought was that there was something moving around in the boot, but I've ruled that out and same noise has been noticed front and back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I experienced the black screen issue this evening. Car was stationary and I had just unplugged the charger.
Turned car on and main screen was black. Pushing button didn't bring it back to life..
Turned car off and restarted. Everything was then ok.
Will keep an eye on things.
Have another couple of issues.
1. Rattle that starts at the A pillar and works it way round to just in front of driver. More apparent over rough ground and seems to disappear when the car is warm. Beginning to wonder if the windscreen is not bedded in correctly.
2. Noise that sounds like a hand brake pull coming from the brakes. It seems to happen when I'm slowing down and also pulling away. Frustrating thing is that it doesnt happen all the time. Intermittent and first thought was that there was something moving around in the boot, but I've ruled that out and same noise has been noticed front and back.
When you powered up the car, did the radio jump into life and produce any sound from a radio channel ?.
Or did it fail to boot and therefore NO music came from the radio and no colour display appeared.
The "Black Screen Of Death" - No audio / No colour display !.
Powering the car back down, then re-powering the car back up - must also give the head unit another fresh chance of booting up once again.
Can I please suggest that you notify your dealer of this problem A.S.A.P. as the only way we will get MG to investigate and provide a fix, is when enough customers are experiencing / complaining about a similar problem and are notifying them !.
It can only be a software issue that requires a patch, or in fact the head units do indeed have an issue in themselves.
I am tending to go for the first option myself.
We now have 4 owners in just over 24 hours who have witnessed some type of a fault / issue on the head units of their cars.
The issue will not go away itself, we can not expect MG to provide a fix to the problem, unless they are aware that there IS a problem in the first place !.
I believe, the head units in UK cars are different from the head units in both the home & Thailand markets etc.
They may not have received the same level of extensive testing in the car as the home market cars did ?.

Registered
Reported all the minor faults I鈥檝e experienced and the senior technician said he hadn鈥檛 come across any of these yet on other models.

Two points he raised

1) Loss of sound may have been due to signal loss. Mentioned that DAB sounds much better but is less reliable than FM and he鈥檚 experience similar sound drop outs on various DABs.

2) Mentioned iPhone needs to be unlocked for CarPlay to start up properly. I said I was fairly certain at some point in all my experimenting it was but possible. Would not explain my weird green pixels on the display. He asked if the shielded cable seemed to have helped and I said so far so good.

He took notes on all the issues and ran a diagnostic and confirmed on the latest firmware and that there was no errors on the log showing up.

For my windscreen they just washed it and put something on it. Visually it was very clear though. I鈥檓 not convinced that鈥檚 going to work but we will see.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts