Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to accept that swapping the head unit out on the Acenta is too much work

But I really don't want another screen in the car (by that I mean I'm not a fan of having to look at 4 screens while driving - stereo, dash, HUD, phone!)

So I'm wanting to keep it at 3 by doing this:

Mount a tablet in front of the head unit to cover the ugly ass blue screen of uselessness

But I want it to be easy-move for the following uses:

1 - to tap that annoying start up message every time the car starts (because I have a smart charger that links to the TCU so I need this functionality)

2 - to view the reversing camera

3 - to view climate control temps as my wife changes it to seemingly random temperatures each time 馃槀

So I'm thinking something that's safe to just flip/slide/switch/flap while driving

For example, fold down like a glove box (fold up would probably not work I don't think), or slide up or down like a zs EV charge flap

Don't want to have to take the whole unit off just to view the reversing camera, and trying to make it look as clean as possible

I'm pretty techy with software so I'm confident with converting a tablet, it's the physical logistics I'm not so creative with

Hopefully this thread will give others ideas too

Thanks

Registered
Chad- 'aint gonna happen mate. I've been down this route too and the existing HU is just too integrated into the vehicle's various systems to make anything such as you propose nonviable.
We've been down this road before Chad Replacing Head Unit + OVMS

Why do you need to see your 'phone screen?
I keep mine in the drink holder completely enclosed in it's case at all times, after setting the hotspot before starting my journey.
Just accept it is not an ideal solution but do what I did and stick an 8" phablet above the existing screen. Al the Android goodies, leafspy display, and dashcam when using Sygic all rolled into one. They are so cheap now nobody is going to break into a vehicle for a cheapie Chinese phablet.
If you really want to go this route have a look at this idea
Android Auto using a tablet to replace the Nissan screen

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i accepted it wouldn't work after your advice, that's why I started a new thread

This one's specifically about mounting the tablet, not the experience itself - I'm already halfway there with converting an old tablet. I just don't like having lots of screens in front of me that's all, it's distracting

And when the tablet is complete, like you say I won't be mounting my phone - the phone comment was to do with my current setup

Essentially my question should have just been "is there a mount available that will allow you to slide the device up and down from position a to position b?", I've already made progress with converting the tablet thanks to your advice on the last post :)

Thanks again for your help I appreciate it :)

Registered
1 - to tap that annoying start up message every time the car starts (because I have a smart charger that links to the TCU so I need this functionality)
I'd be interested to hear more about this. It sounds like you are polling the Nissan API to get battery state of charge during charging to shut off the EVSE at a certain percentage ? :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be interested to hear more about this. It sounds like you are polling the Nissan API to get battery state of charge during charging to shut off the EVSE at a certain percentage ? :)
Yes, www.ohme-ev.com

With login details the car will charge up to a certain % of useable battery

Without login details you set it up based on an estimated average

I think that's how it works

Either way, Ohme pulls the data from the TCU to determine correct % by a certain time

Works on my 2014 leaf

It links up to my Octopus Energy tariff so it charges when cheapest

Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
These are the mods you are looking for. Unfortunately i couldnt find the mount he has anywhere using google image search so good luck with that. I am very tempted to 3d print and make one bespoke but i havent enough time

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
These are the mods you are looking for. Unfortunately i couldnt find the mount he has anywhere using google image search so good luck with that. I am very tempted to 3d print and make one bespoke but i havent enough time
Thanks for that, I love his red felt!

How do you find your Muxsan rex? I have a 2014 so just wondering what kinda winter miles you get especially motorway?

Super Moderator
Yes, www.ohme-ev.com

With login details the car will charge up to a certain % of useable battery

Without login details you set it up based on an estimated average

I think that's how it works

Either way, Ohme pulls the data from the TCU to determine correct % by a certain time

Works on my 2014 leaf

It links up to my Octopus Energy tariff so it charges when cheapest
I am pretty sure you don't need to press the accept button for that to work. the accept is about sending data for that journey to the server, not pressing it will not stop the app polling the car for it's SOC/range.

Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
Love the Muxsan range extender. The issue really is an aging 2011 canary pack. If I swapped it out for a gen2 pack be it 24, 30 or 40kwh then my average rapid charge speed would be much higher due to lower internal resistance in the battery, My advice is if you have a gen 1, swap the old battery first or at the same time for best results. I am on the lookout for one on copart sporadically but tbh I've got too much going on at the moment with a house to renovate and full time job. Range is same as say about a 35kwh car so on ABRP app I have to use a 40kwh from the template and degrade the health in the settings to get as close as I can to the range. I am in no rush though as it can get us comfortably from Manchester to Dorset (with charging) which is as far as I need to go for now. A few more mods to do (diesel heater maybe) and maybe roof top solar, perhaps even an kammback spoiler. All of which are just icing on the cake since it is doing fine for now. Just splurged on some Yakima whispbars from the Netherlands as there weren't any in the UK. They look smart. Its also got a curt tow hitch to which I can attach a buzzrack p10 carrier or a thule x2 bike rack. The roof bars is to carry plasterboards (for the renovation) initially but then we have a roof box to go on top, our husky doesn't mind the raised position from the double height battery in the boot, however, there isn't much space for luggage when she is in the car hence the buzzrack for going to the in laws.

The winter miles thing, not sure, i've installed aftermarket heat pads in the front seats and I run them off 40v batteries that are dropped to 12v through a dcdc this is so that they don't use the traction pack at all. I've not needed them yet this winter but they are an easy enough install. Took about 1 night each. look for Paul Kennett on youtube, his vids are brilliant leaf modding guides. I've found that its rain that hammers range mostly. the range says 156miles on the dash at an over night charge and put into eco with the heater off, however realistically i think i get 100miles motorway and then 80 mile hops after that since I dont like to go lower than 20miles on the GOM and the rapids cut off at 80%

Its fine though, I think we get to Dorset in 1 full rapid and a splash and dash near the destination. My original battery is trash compared to what is in my other gen1 I think which only did 25k miles where as this one is now upto about 83k miles.

Anyway clearly massively off topic now but I think that's as comprehensive and answer as you will get.

Also there is a or is going to be a uk Muxsan outpost, I forget what they are called or where they are but take home message is that you may not need to travel to the Netherlands to get the range extender. Just email them and they will tell you.

We must have different tastes cause I didn't like his red felt at all but the tablet integration was his best bit.

My advice on the range is do the cheap things first.
wheel inserts, seat heaters, charging the 12v so that it doesn't need to come of the traction pack as much, the heater turn off mod in the gen1 if you have that. all these are an order of magnitude less expensive than the extender and easier to revert. (not that you will want to)

Lastly if you are thinking about a tow bar and an extender battery get the wiring for the lighting board done first (if you want a lighting board that is). The range extender battery makes it harder to install that wiring loom. I didn't, however the leaf lights are quite high so not really obscured by bikes or luggage on the buzzrack but something to think about if you ever to want to make a really multipurpose capable leaf.

edit - just read you have a 2014, forget what i said about replacing your pack first unless you obviously have poor cell. If you do though maybe go to powerdrive in malvern, ex indra employees can sort that for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure you don't need to press the accept button for that to work. the accept is about sending data for that journey to the server, not pressing it will not stop the app polling the car for it's SOC/range.
I didn't know this I'll have to check. Thanks for that

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Love the Muxsan range extender. The issue really is an aging 2011 canary pack. If I swapped it out for a gen2 pack be it 24, 30 or 40kwh then my average rapid charge speed would be much higher due to lower internal resistance in the battery, My advice is if you have a gen 1, swap the old battery first or at the same time for best results. I am on the lookout for one on copart sporadically but tbh I've got too much going on at the moment with a house to renovate and full time job. Range is same as say about a 35kwh car so on ABRP app I have to use a 40kwh from the template and degrade the health in the settings to get as close as I can to the range. I am in no rush though as it can get us comfortably from Manchester to Dorset (with charging) which is as far as I need to go for now. A few more mods to do (diesel heater maybe) and maybe roof top solar, perhaps even an kammback spoiler. All of which are just icing on the cake since it is doing fine for now. Just splurged on some Yakima whispbars from the Netherlands as there weren't any in the UK. They look smart. Its also got a curt tow hitch to which I can attach a buzzrack p10 carrier or a thule x2 bike rack. The roof bars is to carry plasterboards (for the renovation) initially but then we have a roof box to go on top, our husky doesn't mind the raised position from the double height battery in the boot, however, there isn't much space for luggage when she is in the car hence the buzzrack for going to the in laws.

The winter miles thing, not sure, i've installed aftermarket heat pads in the front seats and I run them off 40v batteries that are dropped to 12v through a dcdc this is so that they don't use the traction pack at all. I've not needed them yet this winter but they are an easy enough install. Took about 1 night each. look for Paul Kennett on youtube, his vids are brilliant leaf modding guides. I've found that its rain that hammers range mostly. the range says 156miles on the dash at an over night charge and put into eco with the heater off, however realistically i think i get 100miles motorway and then 80 mile hops after that since I dont like to go lower than 20miles on the GOM and the rapids cut off at 80%

Its fine though, I think we get to Dorset in 1 full rapid and a splash and dash near the destination. My original battery is trash compared to what is in my other gen1 I think which only did 25k miles where as this one is now upto about 83k miles.

Anyway clearly massively off topic now but I think that's as comprehensive and answer as you will get.

Also there is a or is going to be a uk Muxsan outpost, I forget what they are called or where they are but take home message is that you may not need to travel to the Netherlands to get the range extender. Just email them and they will tell you.

We must have different tastes cause I didn't like his red felt at all but the tablet integration was his best bit.

My advice on the range is do the cheap things first.
wheel inserts, seat heaters, charging the 12v so that it doesn't need to come of the traction pack as much, the heater turn off mod in the gen1 if you have that. all these are an order of magnitude less expensive than the extender and easier to revert. (not that you will want to)

Lastly if you are thinking about a tow bar and an extender battery get the wiring for the lighting board done first (if you want a lighting board that is). The range extender battery makes it harder to install that wiring loom. I didn't, however the leaf lights are quite high so not really obscured by bikes or luggage on the buzzrack but something to think about if you ever to want to make a really multipurpose capable leaf.

edit - just read you have a 2014, forget what i said about replacing your pack first unless you obviously have poor cell. If you do though maybe go to powerdrive in malvern, ex indra employees can sort that for you.
That's excellent advice thanks

I knew about cleveley in Cheltenham taking on some Muxsan packs, I'll have to keep an eye out and see!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts