Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our other cars (apart from the integrale) have xenon / bi-xenon headlights so driving the Zoe in the dark is a bit of a shock to the system with the lights, particularly on dipped, being so feeble.

Has anyone upgraded their bulbs?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Swapped mine out with xenon and road view is perfect now even on country roads.
This conversion has not effected Zoe's range in any noticeable way.

·
Banned
604 Posts
Buzzar , zenons are illegal without automatic leveling and headlamp washers. Andy, the extremes run a lot hotter and will overheat in the zoe and fail prematurely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I do understand that there is a life v performance trade off but I would sooner see where I am going and replace them every 6 months if needs be. Unless the is something unique about the Zoe headlamp design that causes a particular problem?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tried the LED route and three different sets proved to be less than useless.
The xenons have been faultless for ten months now and I haven't been arrested to date :rolleyes:

Dipped and main beam is archived by a motorised lens mounted in front of the bulb.

Be prepared to skin knuckles and shed blood while removing the H7 bulbs as the bulb bayonet housing is a very tight fit within the headlamp assembly:mad:

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I haven't been arrested to date
You probably won't be either but if you have an accident where visibility at night was a factor then they could look more closely and if you have HIDs without the proper self-leveling & washing then you could find yourself in big doo doo.

Solution... get the self-leveling/washing kit or... don't have an accident and you'll be fine. Given that the second of those choices is partly not in your control I think it is risky to install HIDs without the proper kit and also informing your insurance of the mod.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I would have thought HID's...
You might be right but the law is the law. It requires self-leveling and auto washers. You also need to inform your insurance if fitting them with an after-market kit as it is considered a modification :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Not sure if everyone is confused as me here, so I did some digging.
The bulbs mentioned - such as Phillips X-Treme and Osram Nightbreaker - are just brighter, standard bulbs. Even the ones labelled "Xenon" aren't actually the same as factory-fit Xenons. None of these are classed as HID, and are therefore legal in the UK (as long as you buy from reputable sources - there do appear to be some non-legal bulbs out there) without having to fit any kits/washers etc.

Not sure how old this article is, but Which recommend Bosch Pure Light: http://www.which.co.uk/cars/driving...headlight-bulbs/best-buy-car-headlight-bulbs/

·
Registered
503 Posts
@flipper upgrading bulbs to those you mention isn't illegal, they will give you better light etc and are perfectly fine.

Fitting an HID upgrade kit (ballasts, bulbs etc) is technically illegal as has been said, the car should have self levelling headlights and washers to prevent dazzle etc...

I have yet to see anyone get prosecuted for fitting an HID upgrade kit, but as has also been said, if something happens and your involved in a collision and your insurance company inspects your car, then you could have your policy invalidated as its classed as a modification...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had night breakers in my vw up, they were much better than the factory OEM bulbs. Worth remembering you only get 10-12 months out of a set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts