Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I got 2 questions really, but I'll get on the main one first.
This happened to me a few times now, when the headlight switched on, the intensity was weak, you could barely notice the light spread on the road ahead, the DRL was brighter, did anyone have the same issue?

The second question is my door handle was frozen solid this morning, I have already anticipated the frozen door handle and have brought out a de-icer with me and preheated the car 15min before, upon very generous spray of the de icer, the handle was stuck solid, it eventually freed up after like what seem like an eternity, is there any other trick I could use to free up the handle more easily without actually pouring warm water on it?

Any advise will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well, it’s not really the manual, it’s the DIY stuff on Tesla site. Few other tips there you might find helpful..

Reactions: kin

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Have you checked if the head lights are aligned correctly? Have you had anyone flash you thinking you had high beams on?

My friends M3 had the headlights set way too high, although it gives a warning the headlight adjustment levelled them to spot on.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I think I have seen warm water inside a freezer bag, and hold the freezer bag against it on YouTube.
Maybe away from home a pocket handwarmer?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think I have seen warm water inside a freezer bag, and hold the freezer bag against it on YouTube.
Maybe away from home a pocket handwarmer?
I was actually thinking about a little blow torch, but thought its a little OTT!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you checked if the head lights are aligned correctly? Have you had anyone flash you thinking you had high beams on?

My friends M3 had the headlights set way too high, although it gives a warning the headlight adjustment levelled them to spot on.
No definitely not high, in fact, I think it's a little too low, lights working perfectly tonight, but I somehow need to show it to Tesla when it's not working properly.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This happened to me a few times now, when the headlight switched on, the intensity was weak, you could barely notice the light spread on the road ahead, the DRL was brighter, did anyone have the same issue?

The second question is my door handle was frozen solid this morning, I have already anticipated the frozen door handle and have brought out a de-icer with me and preheated the car 15min before, upon very generous spray of the de icer, the handle was stuck solid, it eventually freed up after like what seem like an eternity, is there any other trick I could use to free up the handle more easily without actually pouring warm water on it?

I've freed up iced M3 door handles by simply pushing alternately at each end, effectively rocking it, to break the ice. I think it's fairly robust and can take some (sensible) force being applied.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My handle was frozen this morning (-2C when I got to it). I just rubbed it a few times with the palm of my hand then pushed the thumb part and it popped open. Done the same a couple of times. I might just have warm hands though.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Your headlights were probably just covered in frost, I had this on the first frosty morning that I had my car. It was fine in town but as soon as I went out of town I could hardly see a few feet in front of me. This would diffuse the beam and have no penetration at all. Remember with them being LED there is not the same heat build-up to melt any frost. Another job for your de-icer and scraper/old credit card in the morning. The fact that they appeared to be okay later on suggests that the frost had thawed and melted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your headlights were probably just covered in frost, I had this on the first frosty morning that I had my car. It was fine in town but as soon as I went out of town I could hardly see a few feet in front of me. This would diffuse the beam and have no penetration at all. Remember with them being LED there is not the same heat build-up to melt any frost. Another job for your de-icer and scraper/old credit card in the morning. The fact that they appeared to be okay later on suggests that the frost had thawed and melted.
I noticed that this morning when I got home from a quick trip to the click and collect down the road. Got home and the lights were completely frozen over. Never occurred to me that they wouldn't defrost. Had I been driving in the dark I dare say I'd have been flying by candle light!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing to do with frost, the headlamp issues happened in summer as well.
I've freed up iced M3 door handles by simply pushing alternately at each end, effectively rocking it, to break the ice. I think it's fairly robust and can take some (sensible) force being applied.
Yes I did that, and also start thumping against the door handle and sprayng de icer.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
227 Posts
The other thing to be really wary of when the car is iced up is the windows not winding down a touch when you open doors. if the glass is frozen fully wound up, when you close the door again you'll scratch the chrome trim above the door and potentially damage the winder mech and or glass, certainly you'll scratch the chrome trim. This has already happened on one of the rear doors on my car. You can actually close the rear door with the window fully up, but you have to push the front top corner edge of the glass forwards to force it under the lip rather than against the chrome trim.

Haven't had an issue with headlight intensity, but must admit that mine seem set a bit too low, on unlit roads I tend to put the fogs on for a bit of extra light (luckily mine is an early SR+ that came with front fogs).

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
227 Posts
?

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts

I had a M3 last winter and the lights if frosted need a wipe with warm cloth as never clear and the door handle usually was ok if precondition done

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Tesla recommend pre-heating the car to defrost the handles. The car should be plugged in overnight anyway as it will warm the battery if it gets too cold. Personally I wouldn't spray anything into the handles.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Pre heating doesn't seem to affect the handles at all (wouldn't expect it to really, the handles are on the outside). Yesterday I had to give it some welly to get the doors open.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pre heating doesn't seem to affect the handles at all (wouldn't expect it to really, the handles are on the outside). Yesterday I had to give it some welly to get the doors open.
I agree, I've pre heated the car for approx 15mins and it was still frozen solid, maybe it needed longer?
However, since I sprayed the handle with WD 40 as instructed previously, I've no issues with frozen door handle, it was -3 this morning.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
There was a post, not sure if it was here or FB, that someone had noticed a draught coming out of the door handle when pre-conditioning. It might need a wee bit of a gap to allow the airflow to get started and defrost the handle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts