Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 55 of the Owner's Manual, it says: " When you operate the wipers, headlights automatically turn on (if they are not on already)" - which is a good thing, I think. Mine do indeed come on when I switch the wipers on - but they go off after 1 minute. If I change the wiper setting - for example, from 1st click to 2nd - the lights come on again and go off again after a minute. I had a Ranger here last night who at first didn't believe me but we found that the same thing happens on his car (a new P85D). So he is doing more research.

I can't really believe that anyone would bother programming the lights to come on for only a minute, so it seems to me that there's bug. We shall see.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think what you are saying is that when the wipers are set to automatically sweep when they detect rain, the headlights come on during the sweep of the wipers. That would mean that you will be driving along, intermittently and randomly flashing your headlights if and only if it is wet enough. What are other drivers going to think?
I definately do NOT want my car to be flashing its headlights unless I tell it to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I definitely do not mean that. The lights come on when I turn the knob on the wiper switch and go off after 1 minute; they do not come on with each sweep (which would be daft, I agree).

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
This has definitely changed quite recently (last few months). It used to be a convenient little trick that if you want the headlights on then rather than going into the controls menu on the screen you could just put the wipers on for a moment, but as you say they no longer persist.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think having them come on for a minute serves any purpose, Matt? I can't think of one. It seems more likely that something got messed up, the intention being that the lights do come on and stay on as long as the wipers are switched on. I think that's valuable in reduced visibility, especially since it puts the tail-lights on too. Julian.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
No, I definitely do not mean that. The lights come on when I turn the knob on the wiper switch and go off after 1 minute; they do not come on with each sweep (which would be daft, I agree).
It wouldn't be daft if they came on and (re-)triggered a sensible timeout each time a sweep was deemed to be necessary by the rain sensing - though a more subtle algorithm is probably called for.

I certainly leave my wipers normally in one of the auto positions all the time and hardly ever need to turn them actually "on".

·
Registered
257 Posts
I assume that, since you are moving the wiper setting from "off" to "auto", the headlights come on immediately because it's safe to assume you've put the wipers on as it's raining. When the sensor realises it's not raining, it switches the headlights off (but having the headlights come on and go off immediately rain is detected and then not detected would lead to flashing lights, so there's a minutes grace before switching them on.

If you've operated the wipers and it is raining, the headlights will remain on.

I just leave mine on auto all the time.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Another "leave the lights on auto" guy here.

The one thing you do notice is that the lights "strike up" so it does look a little like you've flashed to other road users, but this hasn't caused any issues for me.

Maybe it would be more troublesome if you frequently take your Model S to Cannock Chase like Stan Colleymore?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've always had mine on auto too, but a few days ago we had a foggy day, and I had to go to the controls and manually turn them on, as I was the only car on the road without lights on. :-/

With a camera on board by default, surely it wouldn't be too hard to add an algorithm that says "when it all goes grey and fuzzy, turn the lights on, even if it's not dark"?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wouldn't be daft if they came on and (re-)triggered a sensible timeout each time a sweep was deemed to be necessary by the rain sensing - though a more subtle algorithm is probably called for.

I certainly leave my wipers normally in one of the auto positions all the time and hardly ever need to turn them actually "on".
Yes, I found that we had done that for several days but I never noticed that the lights came on and stayed on when it rained and the wipers were activated; do they for you?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've always had mine on auto too, but a few days ago we had a foggy day, and I had to go to the controls and manually turn them on, as I was the only car on the road without lights on. :-/

With a camera on board by default, surely it wouldn't be too hard to add an algorithm that says "when it all goes grey and fuzzy, turn the lights on, even if it's not dark"?
The DRLs are on, of course, so you're not invisible from the front , at least. I agree about grey and fuzzy; I have a Jeep with the same problem.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've always had mine on auto too, but a few days ago we had a foggy day, and I had to go to the controls and manually turn them on,
The control for the fog lights is a bit confusing.
  • If on "auto" you cannot control the fog light
  • If on manual you can turn the fog light on and off
So does "Auto" know when it is foggy?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts