Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the countryside and drive a lot in the dark on unlit roads, I find I get flashed quite a lot by people who think my headlights are not dipped (when they are)

I have checked the alignment of the lights and they are correctly set i.e. they aren't too high in the dipped position. They are also not very bright on full beam and not particularly powerful on dip either - in fact I wish the full beam was better / more powerful tbh.

The temptation is always to give them a good blast of full beam in "SEE THEY ARE DIPPED" style, but I am too sensible to do that ...... no really!

I am guessing it is the "white" LED style lights that people don't like or find dazzling, out of curiosity do other people get the same?

J

·
Registered
999 Posts
I live in the countryside and drive a lot in the dark on unlit roads, I find I get flashed quite a lot by people who think my headlights are not dipped (when they are)

I have checked the alignment of the lights and they are correctly set i.e. they aren't too high in the dipped position. They are also not very bright on full beam and not particularly powerful on dip either - in fact I wish the full beam was better / more powerful tbh.

The temptation is always to give them a good blast of full beam in "SEE THEY ARE DIPPED" style, but I am too sensible to do that ...... no really!

I am guessing it is the "white" LED style lights that people don't like or find dazzling, out of curiosity do other people get the same?

J
Don't have a Tesla, yet, but my Lexus has led's and I'm often flashed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
Regularly got the same thing in the Leaf (LED lights) and my wife's VW (Xenons) I think the cool white light and the very direct beams can confuse some people, particularly on undulating roads. I had an old 2002 vw Golf with Xenons some years ago and got flashed so much that I swore my next car wouldn't have Xenons as I spent half the time squinting knowing that I was going to get flashed by oncoming traffic!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes I get this, in fact I was going to post about this too as it happens pretty frequently.

Me on the hand feels the need to flash back to say 'no they are dipped'

·
The best there is at what I do
10,652 Posts
I get flashed sometimes in my i3 and I only have the standard headlamps not the LEDs.

I do flash people who are coming towards me with main beams on, why people have to drive on dual carriageways and motorways with main beams on is a mystery to me :mad:

What really annoys me is why people feel they have to drive around with the front fog lamps on, some people claim they are driving lights, I don't care if you are coming towards me with them be prepared to receive some additional light reflected back from me, if it's foggy fair enough otherwise go to Specsavers.

Although I find the normal headlamps perfectly adequate I am considering fitting some Osram Night Breakers so they fully understand the error of their ways :D

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
Twice this evening in a short errand run :-(

·
The best there is at what I do
10,652 Posts
I was being dazzled by a woman who was following me with one headlamp shining directly into my rear view mirror, I pulled over let her past then gave her a test of her own medicine.

I'll put money on the bulb being fitted upside down by some incompetent git who thinks they are a skilled mechanic:mad:

Leave it to the experts (not the ones at Halfords though) :p

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes quite often; I keep meaning to see if there's a setting to adjust the height of the beam with the weight of the vehicle when loaded (like most other cars have).

Personally, I think car headlights have become too bright, BMW are the worst for it in my opinion!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Yes quite often; I keep meaning to see if there's a setting to adjust the height of the beam with the weight of the vehicle when loaded (like most other cars have).
If you have coil suspension, there's a setting on the controls page with four positions. If you have air suspension, the car's supposed to keep itself level regardless of load so that feature isn't needed (and I believe the control is not present on the screen).

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you have coil suspension, there's a setting on the controls page with four positions. If you have air suspension, the car's supposed to keep itself level regardless of load so that feature isn't needed (and I believe the control is not present on the screen).
This isn't correct. There are no settings for coil suspension (I have standard suspension).

I've driven for 2.5 years and live outside the city. I never get flashed when my headlights are on low in my Model S.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
This isn't correct. There are no settings for coil suspension (I have standard suspension).
I also have standard suspension. Do you not have the control labelled 5 in the image? (this is from the manual, but it was present in my car last time I checked). Possibly N.America cars are different.
upload_2016-11-28_17-33-37.png

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have that Level setting on mine, but they are LED's due to Facelift if that makes any difference?

Where the fog and level buttons are on that picture, I have the Front and Rear Fog buttons (from memory, but I will check when SWMBO returns)?

I mainly get flashed when my Auto High Beam is a bit slow to dip, so figure it was probably justified.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
It appears that facelift cars all have self-levelling headlights, so the control only exists on non-air non-facelift vehicles.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Front fogs were part of the premium interior package.
Originally fogs were an extra cost separate option.

But then I have cornering lights (IIRC part of tech package) which use the same physical lights, I just can't switch them on both at the same time* :rolleyes:

(* not strictly true I guess I could drive everywhere backwards)

Back to the original point, yes I do get flashed pretty commonly. I've been suspicious of the lack of LHD/RHD switch capability (with Tesla themselves saying they don't need reconfiguring for continental trips.) I would hazard a guess and say they are a slightly uncommon beam pattern more optimised for the larger LHD markets, just squeezing in to what is acceptable here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts