Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - new 2020 golf gte owner here.

have already learnt so much from this forum - is great. I’d like to ask a question I haven’t been able to find:

I have everything all setup for scheduled charging, heating the car before setting off etc.

The use-case I can’t seem to find is how to keep the car heated after a journey and I’ve turned the ignition off - what is often called ‘residual heat’ in ICE cars. For example I’ve just been on a journey - and I’m waiting in the car for my wife and want to keep warm .

I don’t want to use the app - just press something on the dash ideally. I assume there’s quite a bit of heat in the system - maybe from the ICE though also elsewhere?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I just leave the ignition on. The petrol engine is off, the traction battery provides the heat as normal.

Obviously this will discharge the battery, but unless it is for a long time and/or you want the car roasting hot it should be minimal.

At temperatures around freezing I can sit in the car and just turn the ignition on for maybe 20 seconds every 5 minutes and keep everything comfortable.

If you have the heated seats they are a more efficient way to keep warm.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Not possible on the GTE. You need to have the car 'on' for the heating circuit to work. However, in regular hybrid mode, the engine will not run as long as it is still warm and the battery is sufficiently charged to run the fan. As the engine cools down, I suspect (though have yet to confirm) it will restart to generate heat - if not, it will start using the electric heating. In any case, the car will stay warm and you could switch over to 'battery charge' to generate heat instead.

To determine if the car is using the engine for heat or not, go to the 'Consumption' pane on the dashboard. Without the heater on, power will be around 0.3kW - 0.5kW. With heating on, it ranges, all the way up to 6kW or so.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If the car is fully booted into the full ready drive state, then you can run the cabin heater to stay warm.
BUT only IF you have energy remaining in the HV battery.
If you have no range remaining on the GOM then you will have to run the ICE as well to keep providing heat to the cabin.
Not the ideal solution really.
The early models of the GTE had no remote facility to heat or cool the cabin of the car from an App.
They lacked the hardware built into the car at the factory.
I have seen this before on VW early adopter cars.
Before my GTE I had a Mk7 Golf ACT GT.
It SHOULD have had electric folding mirrors as standard equipment, the first batch left the factory minus this feature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts