Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to get rescured last night, came back to find dreaded 'service steering lock' message, so fixed that by pulling and replacing F2, then got 'service 12v battery' message and all sorts of alarms and flashing displays.
When the recovery guy arrived put his 12v jumper pack onto the jump start points in the front, gave it a few minutes and got it going, interestingly everything worked except ABS and power brakes, I had mechanical brakes but no assistance so drove home carefully. Car shut down as normal I didn't charge as low 12v can cause sytem instability.
Disconnected original AC delco battery and charged it, it wasn't taking charge properly voltage didn't rise so high resistance cell looks probable, replaced original battery all worked OK, however I have changed the battery anyway for Bosch AGM type to comply with safety regs.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Now fried 12v batteries to add to the fun in hot weather :(
Thanks for the head up on this one, not occurred to me but the battery being under the luggage floor may suffer from heating easier than in an engine compartment.

I did change mine last year so hopefully will be fine (and the roasting weather is nearly over)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, I also pre-empted any issues and swapped the 12v a few months ago, as it was still the original and the car was coming up to 4 years old. I think replacement should be part of the 3 year service for all EV's. It would save a huge amount of trouble and they are hardly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Mind you, I can imagine the headlines: "EV batteries need replacing every three years", without clarifying it's just the accessory battery.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Battery was the original AC Delco and we know they fail mines was just 4 years old so could be coincidence but i'm not convinced, i'm sure the heat played a part. I had planned to replace it before the winter as it's OK to get stuck in the summer not so much in the winter

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Mine is now showing dips to 11v now.........but getting 12 to 14v most off the time........Should I replace?
MY2012.
Will check what battery later to see what ti is.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mine is now showing dips to 11v now.........but getting 12 to 14v most off the time........Should I replace?
MY2012.
Will check what battery later to see what ti is.
Are you checking the voltage with the car powered up? If so you are just seeing the output of the DC-DC converter, which will be around 14v. To get an accurate reading measure the battery voltage with the power off. I've fitted a cheap eBay voltmeter that I've wired permanently direct to the batt terminals (with an inline fuse).

12V Digital LED Acid Lead Batteries Indicator Battery Capacity Tester Voltmeter

This allows me to see the batt voltage both before powering up (to see the state of the battery) and also confirm the DC-DC converter is working (after powering up).

I'm going to fit one to my wife's Leaf too, as these also get 12v problems.

But if you car still has its original battery it would be sensible to replace it soon.

·
Member of Members
229 Posts
Mine had the 12V battery replaced under warranty (car is still under 3 years old) because it was dropping its charge to 8v after a couple of weeks parked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
11v is a worry a battery in good condition should be 12.v or better, measure with car powered off and if possible 12v battery disconnected to remove any parasitic loads.
11.5v would be conidered flat or charge immediately condition.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
My 12V died just as I put car on to charge; result was the HV contactors didn't pull in properly, arced, welded themselves to bits & result was a flatbed callout. Any original Delco batteries should be replaced the instant they get to be 3 yrs old imho. Not worth the risk keeping them any longer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts