Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Not really, because it lets them reduce the base price of the car and it is therefore more competitive against VAG products eg. iD3 that doesn‘t have a standard heat pump but look much cheaper because of that.

Not doubt this why the fickle and competitive US market omitted the HP but unfortunately took the battery heater along with it. A HP was an option on the i3 as well when I looked at ordering one before the Kona came out.

A huge coincidence perhaps but could this be the start of a new pricing policy as Options are allowed on top of the new £35k Grant limit for the basic car. Does not seem to benefit the Kona at the moment but see the below Press Release from Kia.

Interestingly the Kia web site this morning still makes no mention of the new model and in fact still refers to a £3k Grant.

I stand to be corrected but it seems to me that this means Kia are charging just over £2k for the larger 64kWh on a like for like e-Niro 2 Edition, both apparently without Heat Pump whereas Hyundai are charging over £6k extra for the bigger Battery!

Mar 24, 2021

• New Kia e-Niro ‘2’ Long Range available for £34,945 OTR (before applying any government grants)
  • New variant features the same 64kWh battery pack and 150kW motor as higher-specification models
  • 282 miles from a single charge (WLTP combined) – more than any other sub-£35,000 BEV
  • e-Niro the UK’s best-selling EV in the first two months of 2021
Kia Motors (UK) Limited has opened the order books today for its new Kia e-Niro ‘2’ Long Range, offering more range than any other sub-£35,000 electric vehicle. The new model is now available to order across the UK, with customer deliveries due to start in July.

The new variant features the same long-range 64kWh battery pack and high-power 150kW motor as higher-specification e-Niro models, while offering a £34,945 on-the-road price (before applying any government grants).

Was there ever a definitive answer to the question around whether the current model Kona has a heat pump or not as standard.
Checking on Hyundai.co.uk site, there are no options available other thank colour choices after spec level and battery size is selected, and nothing is mentioned in any of the specifications as to whether a heat pump is present.
Carwow is still showing the heatpump as an additional option.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
Was there ever a definitive answer to the question around whether the current model Kona has a heat pump or not as standard.
Checking on Hyundai.co.uk site, there are no options available other thank colour choices after spec level and battery size is selected, and nothing is mentioned in any of the specifications as to whether a heat pump is present.
Carwow is still showing the heatpump as an additional option.
They do not have a heat pump fitted. The Hyundai website is pants. You need to go to a dealer who will politely explain to you that you either take a stock car or you can wait 3-6 months for a new factory order one, and a heat pump will be an optional extra.

They do not have a heat pump fitted. The Hyundai website is pants. You need to go to a dealer who will politely explain to you that you either take a stock car or you can wait 3-6 months for a new factory order one, and a heat pump will be an optional extra.
Thanks for clarifying @wja96 . So assume they dropped this from the previous model to look more competitive, as I believe that had one as standard (although happy to be corrected). Mines in for work at present (2020 model pre-facelift) and believe it has a heat pump, but due to ongoing issues possibly looking to swap...

The attached photo shows the Heat Pump from the 2018 Premium SE 64kWh Kona Electric which I have just swopped for a 2021 Premium. On the older Car it is under the Black cover on the left and all the gubbins underneath. The new Car just has a big empty space here.

After two weeks ownership, in somewhat mild temperatures down South, I have not noticed a reduction in overall efficiency between the two Cars, over the same routes. That said, I tend not to use the HVAC system that much at the moment.

Would I have opted for the Optional Heat Pump, if available in the same time frame - no not @ £875. The cost would never be recovered during my ownership.

I suspect that there are very few, if any, new Kona’s being produced for the UK, with Heat Pumps, at the moment.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Thanks for the photo @Signpost and info @wja96 . As I have a premium "dimply" fronted version, assume it will have the heat pump (dealer couldn't confirm the fact when I bought their demo a year ago, and current dealer has been non the wiser - to the point of not knowing what a heat pump was...).
As looking to possibly replace it when I get it back from dealers (hopefully repaired with new motor this week following wheel of fortune clicking noise from front drive), looking at options, and Kona still looks to be best bet when focussing on efficiency and need at least 220 mile range in winter. Decisions decisions....

Thanks for the photo @Signpost and info @wja96 . As I have a premium "dimply" fronted version, assume it will have the heat pump (dealer couldn't confirm the fact when I bought their demo a year ago, and current dealer has been non the wiser - to the point of not knowing what a heat pump was...).
As looking to possibly replace it when I get it back from dealers (hopefully repaired with new motor this week following wheel of fortune clicking noise from front drive), looking at options, and Kona still looks to be best bet when focussing on efficiency and need at least 220 mile range in winter. Decisions decisions....
If it helps, I can tell you that in my opinion the newer, ‘flat nosed’ Kona Electric is much more refined and having now got used to the new nose, a nicer looking Car. The only thing that I really miss coming from a Premium SE to a Premium is the HUD but in my view that alone is not worth paying thousands more for the Ultimate model.

The biggest plus point has to be the totally new, electronic Dashboard and Infotainment Sytem with the bigger, apparently higher resolution screen. For the first time I have a Hyundai Bluelink connection courtesy of an embedded Sim Card.

Some years ago my local Town Council decided to implement Speed Reduction/Traffic Calming measures by laying 30 inch strips of raised Double Bullnose Bricks across sections of the old A3. My old ‘dimply’ would crash over these sections whereas the new Car, much less so and with much less suspension noise.

In making the decision to change the biggest ‘downside’ to consider was the very expensive Service every 4 years/40,000 miles, which includes a Battery Coolant change and a total Bill which some have quoted, at over £550. This effects all ‘flat nosed’ Cars and also some old ‘dimply’ Kona’s if the colour of the fluid in the top up reservoir is bright blue as opposed to greenish. The latter is cheaper and only requires changing every 10 years/100,000 miles.

Photo of the expensive bright blue Traction Battery Coolant attached.

Product Automotive design Screenshot Font Electronic device

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Some years ago my local Town Council decided to implement Speed Reduction/Traffic Calming measures by laying 30 inch strips of raised Double Bullnose Bricks across sections of the old A3. My old ‘dimply’ would crash over these sections whereas the new Car, much less so and with much less suspension noise.
I've just checked on Mobis and the complete suspension assemblies front and rear were carried over from the pre- to the post-facelift car. The parts are exactly the same down to the last bush. There is no additional soundproofing in the wheel arches etc. I suspect the real difference is actually the tyres. As I understand it, the newer cars are mainly running Michelin tyres whereas the older cars all came on Nexens and they were.... not Michelins.

It seems that with the advent of the facelift Kona Electric Hyundai UK have taken a leaf (no pun intended) out of VW‘s book and are now charging £875 for the heat pump, even on the top-spec new Ultimate model.

They have reduced the base price but I don‘t recall seeing this change mentioned in any of the press releases for the facelift.
On the Kona configuration heat pump extra on the 39kw car . Standard on the 64kw
Hope that helps

Nope, configure an Ultimate 64kWh and the heat pump is an £875 option. It doesn’t even seem to be an option on the cheaper models.
If you configure 39kw you can press the add heat pump . If you press on 64 kw it doesn't add it . It says £875 option but it doesn't tick when you press to add . It ticks to add on 39kw .

61 - 80 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.