Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Asked this question of my dealer today and this is the response that I got from them. This was taken from the press release that they produced when the Kia eNiro was launched.

"The e-Niro is also available with an advanced heat pump as an option, which draws on heat energy from the air-conditioning and electrical systems. Instead of relying entirely on battery power to heat the cabin, the heat pump recycles this heat energy to improve the efficiency of the car’s heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system. The system is made up of a compressor, evaporator and condenser, which improve the car’s ability to efficiently heat up the cabin, minimising electricity consumption from the battery. In turn, this increases the e-Niro’s overall driving range."

Does this worry anyone.of those with a pre-order? My dealer is trying to get a straight answer from Kia Technical so hoping to find out more soon.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm as certain as can be (but that is not 100%) that the heat pump is an integral part of the UK spec, I'm sure that Johnny mentioned it specifically in the FCS review. Whether or not the car has one it certainly won't be an option because the only option is choice of colour.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It looks like it does from the fully charged video.

Here's a video of an e-niro without the heat pump:

and the fully charged video at 11m 43s in:

There's a lot of difference between the two on the left hand side, one thing to look for when doing a test drive;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm as certain as can be (but that is not 100%) that the heat pump is an integral part of the UK spec, I'm sure that Johnny mentioned it specifically in the FCS review. Whether or not the car has one it certainly won't be an option because the only option is choice of colour.
the dealer spec list has no mention of a heat pump so that is worrying. only says "single automatic air conditioning"

·
Registered
746 Posts
The e-Niro version we are getting, definitively, DOES have a heat pump. What it doesn't have is a battery heater as well which is only really necessary in really cold climates and I imagine what Bjorn Nyland is using when he sleeps in the car at -8 deg C.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
The e-Niro version we are getting, definitively, DOES have a heat pump. What it doesn't have is a battery heater as well which is only really necessary in really cold climates and I imagine what Bjorn Nyland is using when he sleeps in the car at -8 deg C.
It should have a battery heater. The battery is cooled and I thought heated as well. The battery heater is to warm up the battery in cold conditions. Rapid charging is slower when the battery is cold and regen is reduced. It doesn't get cold enough in the UK to be damaging to the battery, afaik, but the battery heading will have its uses once it gets down to freezing or lower.

Bjorn was using the utility mode to keep warm overnight. This keeps the the normal car heating running when the 'ignition' is switched off.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It should have a battery heater.
Mmm, looking at your reply I had thought, at first, that I had just got the terminology wrong but rereading the email I received I think that, in fact, it is referring to a heater for the battery. The car also has an 'inner condenser' and, although I'm not sure what that does exactly, my understanding is that it deals with the heat dissipation (but not the heating up) of the battery which is then used to warm the cabin.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Mmm, looking at your reply I had thought, at first, that I had just got the terminology wrong but rereading the email I received I think that, in fact, it is referring to a heater for the battery. The car also has an 'inner condenser' and, although I'm not sure what that does exactly, my understanding is that it deals with the heat dissipation (but not the heating up) of the battery which is then used to warm the cabin.
Jonny says it has battery cooling & heating, but there are several things wrong on the video so I'm not sure. I've just watched it twice, well listened to it mostly as I'm working, and it is hard to see the differences under the bonnet as they don't show much detail on the FC video.
He does seem to suggest that it has a driver only setting for the heating, again I'm not sure if that's right or not.
As soon as the dealers have one someone is going to have to make a video to answer all our questions.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
As soon as the dealers have one someone is going to have to make a video to answer all our questions.
March when the sales cars arrive then. I think it will be a demo drive for me as still not totally convinced yet but we all may be doing that. Between us, we should cover all the bits, maybe!

Trouble with things like battery thermal management and heat pumps, you'll be in the hands of the dealer's knowledge to a degree anyway. Unless you open the bonnet and it says "Heat Pump" on a label in there o_O

·
Registered
385 Posts
Unfortunately the Original Poster's quote is not from a Kia press release for the UK (check the web address)

The new Kia e-Niro

Also from Australia:

Latest Kia News & Announcements | Kia Motors Australia

And just to confuse matters a Belgian video of an e-niro without a heatpump.

My salesman is going on a training course on the 7th February and has promised to ask if they are not told.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My salesman is going on a training course on the 7th February and has promised to ask if they are not told.
Let’s start a list of questions for him to take and get answered :)

Has it got a heat pump?
Does the battery have thermal management (both hot and cold)?
What standard tyres does it ship with?
What does a service pack cost?
Why is the UK spec so much below other countries? :whistle:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Let’s start a list of questions for him to take and get answered :)

Has it got a heat pump?
Does the battery have thermal management (both hot and cold)?
What standard tyres does it ship with?
What does a service pack cost?
Why is the UK spec so much below other countries? :whistle:
How can we preheat the car when it isn't plugged in?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi guys,
Asked this question of my dealer today and this is the response that I got from them. This was taken from the press release that they produced when the Kia eNiro was launched.

"The e-Niro is also available with an advanced heat pump as an option, which draws on heat energy from the air-conditioning and electrical systems. Instead of relying entirely on battery power to heat the cabin, the heat pump recycles this heat energy to improve the efficiency of the car’s heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system. The system is made up of a compressor, evaporator and condenser, which improve the car’s ability to efficiently heat up the cabin, minimising electricity consumption from the battery. In turn, this increases the e-Niro’s overall driving range."

Does this worry anyone.of those with a pre-order? My dealer is trying to get a straight answer from Kia Technical so hoping to find out more soon.
Just read this again. Was that Donald's of BSE who gave you that information? If so that is what I would find worrying as I'm with them as well. There are NO options other than colour (or as has been pointed out, take or leave it). They should know that.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Interesting if it is an option on the car (not in UK!) as the quoted efficiency should be on the basic car not after optional extras have been added to improve efficiency.

I don’t think it will make much difference. Even if you’re constantly pulling 3kw for heating, 2 hours driving is going reduce your range by about 24 miles. I can manage that by turning down the heating a bit if I want to or just slowing down a bit to improve overall efficiency.

If you assume a workable efficiency of between 3.5 - 4.5 miles per kWh on a 60kwh usable battery capacity that gives range of 210 - 270 miles (winter to summer).

More than enough!

·
Registered
142 Posts
it is hard to see the differences under the bonnet as they don't show much detail on the FC video.
Here is a Korean video from 2 months ago which shows the engine bay of a RHD e-Niro more clearly at 0:43

It also shows blue trim on the seats and LED headlights. Evidence that the original UK spec was different and changed sometime in November 2018.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is a Korean video from 2 months ago which shows the engine bay of a RHD e-Niro more clearly at 0:43

It also shows blue trim on the seats and LED headlights. Evidence that the original UK spec was different and changed sometime in November 2018.
You are making an assumption that it was a UK spec vehicle...it may of been for Australia, Cyprus or anywhere else that has RHD. It also has the cooled seats, probably a spec of vehicle we will see in 2020.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts