Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this video from Hyundai explaining the heat pump on the e-gmp platform

It goes on to say, that by managing the temperature it helps the fast charging ability of the car.

Sounds a bit believable, but???

·
Registered
263 Posts
If that were the case then wouldn’t there be different charging rates for versions of the car with and without heat pumps? AFAIAA both versions of the EV6 quote the same rates/charging times?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If that were the case then wouldn’t there be different charging rates for versions of the car with and without heat pumps? AFAIAA both versions of the EV6 quote the same rates/charging times?
Wow first comment , thought there would be more (y)

Yep, completely agree, sounds a bit like snake oil to me, but there are quite a few EV's that have them as standard or an option.

The specs of the EV6 are fluid at the moment, so the only people that really know if there are any benefits are probably only the testers and engineers.

Still don't regret ordering a heat pump for my EV6.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think quoted charging times are in ideal conditions, so a great pump won't make much difference. The heat pump will come into it's own when the battery needs heating / cooling to reach it's optimum charging temperature.

·
Super Moderator
12,123 Posts
Sounds a bit believable, but???
i3 has had heat pump battery cooling since 2013. Heck even the Outlander has that. So does eNV-200 and many others.

BMW was the first with direct expansion cooling of the battery. Everyone else has been using forced air or liquid cooling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW was the first with direct expansion cooling of the battery. Everyone else has been using forced air or liquid cooling.
Kia/Hyundai are using liquid cooling in their battery packs, suppose it is easier than using gas as there are less chances of getting leaks.:unsure:

Also I saw that the liquid cooling is underneath the battery pack (completely isolated (y)), which surprises me as the top of the pack must surely be hotter (heat rises), so why not either put the cooling at the top or both top and bottom?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts