Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I'm new to this forum but I have had an e-Golf for almost a year so have some good knowledge on how the car works in winter and summer.

I have been looking through the 'Heat pump' thread but I cant see where anyone actually had one retro fitted and then described the effect (good or bad and worth it). Is there anyone around who has had one retro fitted and can let us know what the results were and was it worth it? Im a seasoned EV driver so know what they are for and why you have them, just want to know from someone who has had it retro fitted (not optioned at the new build).

Many thanks EV owners in advance.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Hi there I'm new to this forum but I have had an e-Golf for almost a year so have some good knowledge on how the car works in winter and summer.

I have been looking through the 'Heat pump' thread but I cant see where anyone actually had one retro fitted and then described the effect (good or bad and worth it). Is there anyone around who has had one retro fitted and can let us know what the results were and was it worth it? Im a seasoned EV driver so know what they are for and why you have them, just want to know from someone who has had it retro fitted (not optioned at the new build).

Many thanks EV owners in advance.
I imagine the heat pump is almost impossible to retro fit. You won’t find someone who’s done it.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,861 Posts
A compete redesign of the dash and special software to integrate it with the old car. Not going to happen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I suspect significant parts like the dash remain common with ICE Golfs, but what you'll find is there will be the pump itself plus dozens and dozens of pipes, wires, clips and fasteners, all of which add up to significantly more than the list price of the factory fitted option...it wouldn't surprise if it were double. Then there's a significant software update which many not be possible for a dealer given the scale of change and impact on vehicle performance (including battery temperature management). I guess you could just call three dealers...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I have eGolf 2017 bought in Slovenia and I cannot understand why the hell VW dealers in Slovenia does order all Golf's without heat pump. For information in February 2018 we had three days under -20°C (my house is on 245m above sea level). So you can imagine on this days my eGolf was suffering. I'm driving it each working day 70km in one way and this three days range fall from normaly 250+km to les then 150km.

I was asking VW dealer if heat pump is possible to build in if it was not in at start and they say not possible. Then I also wrote mail to VW directly but got same answer. Problem is that original heat pump is also connected to some kind battery heating and if they would do it they would have to uninstall 1/2 of the car and this would be to expensive so they say NO.
I found on some forum that is possible to build in not original heat pump, but in this case I would loose warranty and I don't want that.
So I will have to live without heat pump. Hope there will not be many days with -10 or -20°C in winters that are comming.

·
29,861 Posts
Does it use a heated water circuit? If so at those temperatures you might be better off with an eberspacher anyway.

·
29,861 Posts
Does it use a heated water circuit? If so at those temperatures you might be better off with an eberspacher anyway.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,685 Posts
Hi,
I have eGolf 2017 bought in Slovenia and I cannot understand why the hell VW dealers in Slovenia does order all Golf's without heat pump. For information in February 2018 we had three days under -20°C (my house is on 245m above sea level). So you can imagine on this days my eGolf was suffering. I'm driving it each working day 70km in one way and this three days range fall from normaly 250+km to les then 150km.

I was asking VW dealer if heat pump is possible to build in if it was not in at start and they say not possible. Then I also wrote mail to VW directly but got same answer. Problem is that original heat pump is also connected to some kind battery heating and if they would do it they would have to uninstall 1/2 of the car and this would be to expensive so they say NO.
I found on some forum that is possible to build in not original heat pump, but in this case I would loose warranty and I don't want that.
So I will have to live without heat pump. Hope there will not be many days with -10 or -20°C in winters that are comming.
Dealers normally order what buyers specify, and the heat pump is an expensive option. If it was really important to you, you should have done your research then ordered one.

For me, I looked at the range difference for my normal journeys, and it wasn’t worth it.
The Official Website for Volkswagen UK : Volkswagen UK

·
Registered
5 Posts
I set up eGolf as I would like to have it. Then I went to VW dealer and we looked at it. At that time in Slovenia one eGolf 2017 was available immediately for all ordered one I would have to wait approx. 6 month. So I took the one that was available (by the way I have first sold eGolf 2017 in Slovenia).

I then checked regularly eGolfs and all are coming without heat pump. I know that pump cost 800€ extra but for our conditions this is I think good invested money, especially if you drive a lot.

Anyway I can live also without but it would be nice to have..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts