Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

This may be a silly question but I am going to ask it in any case.

I know that the heat pump is meant to use heat from the car while in motion but I always assumed that one of the advantages of having an electric car was that there would be instant heat on cold mornings. I can't preheat because I only have use of a public charger. I admit the one that I use is never used ay night time and because I knew it was going to be frosty on Monday morning I plugged in and charged but also set the preheating. The heat never came on and it looked like the communication between the car and post disconnected after charging. I was lucky no one stole the charging cable. I guess the fix is to set the timer for heating and charging to come on at the same time.

That said, when I turn the heat on there is no instant heat and I have to dive for about a mile and half before any heat comes through. I was hoping that I could defrost the car using the heating system once I started the car but it looks like I'll have to drive a couple of miles first to get some heat into the car. So if I am not plugged in and charging does the car have to be in motion for the heat to kick in? If I went down a little earlier and sat there and waited for the heat to kick in would that work or should I just buy de-icer for the car?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you say post did you attempt pre heat with a public charger?

It can be done but it’s only going to work if you have the climate timer come on during the posts session (the charging timers won’t work with public posts at all because of the way they all work)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi, I don't know if the Soul also has a resistance type heating element (as well as a heat pump) like the Zoe did, but i get heat from mine really quickly. When its plugged in at home and it clicks on i can see the heat traveling up the screen and clearing any frost/ice. We've not had a really really cold day yet but its working as well as the Zoe did.

As Tesla Tom as said, i also think its not going to click on with a public post because of the session ending.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Chris,
I kind of asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and pleased to see you at least got a more friendly reply that I did. Bottom line as far as I can tell is that you can't use a controlled post with timers. As others have suggested, you would be fine on a public post that didn't need a card, app etc, to get started, and pre-heating would work if timed to come on before charging had stopped, but that's not much good if you start charging in the evening and want car warm for your departure in the morning. This is a 'feature' of the post rather than the car and you'd have a similar issue with other EVs.
I use a home charger in the morning so fortunately don't have a big issue. You could connect to a charge post to charge and heat before your departure provided you are not at 100% but that might not be economic if you have to make a payment.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Compared to my 'old' Ampera , (tiny battery/ resistance heater) the Kia cabin heats up a damn sight quicker + my pinkies are warm c/o the heated steering wheel, all for less than a kWh, the Ampera would've been drawing 6+ to match.
Winter pre-heating was an absolute necessity prior to driving to keep some range and not to dress like Ranulph Fiennes .
so to quote a 50's tory PM. ' Lets be frank, our Kia people have never had it so good.'

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,893 Posts
My soul produces heat pretty quickly. I have mine set to charge at one time then do a climate timer hours later. On a home charger it works fine. On cold days heated wheel and seat goes on but I usually turn them off after a couple of minutes as they’re too warm.

If you don’t get any heat out when the inside temp is set higher than the outside temperature within a minute or two then it wants looking at. Set it to the highest temperature it does and check it. I leave mine on auto all the time and set the temperature.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I think I have mastered the heating system now. If I press the heated front screen button this turns the heat and AC on the same time and it does start to heat more quickly. I was just pressing the heat button alone and it felt like it was taking ages to heat. Once the heat is on and cosy I turn off the heated front screen and just have the heat button on alone. Has @srichards has said the heated wheel does get rather toasty but I do love it.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Proper Frosts this week so I had a play
Two scenarios

Left at Auto the heat output and blower ramps up from zero to about 5KW over about 3-5 minutes with the interior rapidly warming up, all glass begins to defrost quite quickly.

If instead I put on the front demister blower then it runs the highest speed of that blower whilst it still ramps up from zero to about 5KW.

My view is this increased cold airflow has a delaying effect on the speed the heater element can warm up and hence provide useful heat into the cabin which actually delays interior heat build up and hence overall de-icing

So I am inclined to let the heat build up first then use the demist button

Try both ymmv.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The Zoe has a resistance heater?
...[surprise]
Where is that located, when does it operate?
Defo a heat pump on the Zoe as it makes a right old racket!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Both - i went back and edited the post as it wasn't worded quite right - it has both.

It normally runs just the heat pump (and as @Russ says it can be heard inside the house when its on timer as the front fan also runs) but on really cold mornings you can hear a relay clicking low down on the left hand side (glove box area) and that is an additional resistance heater kicking in. If you preheat i didn't tend to hear it as much.

Further info on the Zoe section on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts