Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I’ve had my Leaf for two years and still haven’t figured out how to keep a constant temperature. It’s either blowing hot air or cold air.
Yes, it is poor - and has been in all x4 Leafs I've had. It appears to be 'overshoot' i.e. it blasts hot air until it sees the air temperature as slightly too hot, then switches to cold, even though the cabin materials are all still cold.

My best solution is (on cold mornings) to set the pre-heat and starting temperature 18C. This will set it to blowing hot air for ages. When you first feel the cold air, tap it up to 18.5C. Each time it goes cold tap it up another 0.5C. By the time you get to 21C, it should be stable-ish. Cooling, you start high and go down by 0.5C per stage.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've not come across another car that does this, not one.
I could give you the list of cars I've had, it's fearsome (I get bored of cars easily).
On every single other car I've had, auto and aircon could be used at the same time and it would stay on all the time.
Aircon is a 24/7 feature for me, never off.
Auto turns on fully automatic mode. If the car thinks aircon is needed to cool down the car to the temperature you set, it will turn on aircon, otherwise it won't.

Unlike you, I've only ever owned one other car with climate control (a KIA Cee'd), but it worked exactly the same in auto mode.

Most of the other buttons, including aircon I think, turn off auto mode. The manual page @RichA posted above explains it reasonably well.

It might be right to say that the Leaf is not very good at accurately hitting the target temperature though. I haven't used it enough to say for sure yet.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, I'll give you one example of how it works completely differently from other cars.
If you use Auto, the aircon goes off.
If you press aircon, auto goes off.
That's not happened in any other car I've had, you can use auto and aircon at the same time, it's not an either/or in other cars.
I have the same grievance on my Kona - on my last car (Ford Focus/ICE) being in AUTO mode controlled the temperature, air distribution, and fan speed, as it does on my Kona. However, the A/C button was independent of this, meaning I could have A/C on permanently with AUTO mode still working. A/C systems should be run for at least 15 mins/week to keep things moving and seals lubed, which is why I had A/C on from the moment I bought the car in March 2019 to the day I sold it.

It's frustrating I can't do this on the Kona but at the same time it makes sense, because A/C obviously cools down the air which needs heating up again. Heating was always "free" with an ICE so was of very little consequence, but in an EV you'd be using power to run the A/C and then use a lot more power to heat that air up again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's frustrating I can't do this on the Kona but at the same time it makes sense, because A/C obviously cools down the air which needs heating up again
I stand to be corrected, but I think this is a misconception.
I think many people think the aircon is 'always' pumping out cold air, so if you use heater and aircon they think the two are battling against each other.
I don't think this is the case, if the car doesn't need cooling the aircon won't put out cold air at all.
However, it will keep dehumidifying the air in the car, meaning less mist.
Really drives me mad being in a misted up car (usually taxis) when the car is fitted with aircon.
SWITCH IT ON, IT'S NOT FOR SUMMER ONLY!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I think many people think the aircon is 'always' pumping out cold air, so if you use heater and aircon they think the two are battling against each other.
I don't think this is the case, if the car doesn't need cooling the aircon won't put out cold air at all.
However, it will keep dehumidifying the air in the car, meaning less mist.
Really drives me mad being in a misted up car (usually taxis) when the car is fitted with aircon.
SWITCH IT ON, IT'S NOT FOR SUMMER ONLY!!!
Usually, aircon is always pumping out cold air: removing heat from the interior and dumping it outside.

We can reverse this, to add heat to the interior. The Leaf can do this too. Perhaps you could term this aircon still but normally it is called 'a heat pump'.

As @donald explains up-thread, it is possible to have both running at once to cure condensation whilst still heating the car. Maybe the Leaf can do this too e.g. on its front demist setting. But heating and cooling at once is going to be fairly energy intensive.

Therefore, I would only use the aircon in cold weather briefly, either for a quick demist or simply to give the system a run. Once the initial demisting work is done, I'm finding that heat at around 18 degrees, directly at the windscreen with a medium fan setting, is enough to keep the mist from reforming.

Kind regards
- Garry

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts
Well, yes and no, you have to have a cleverly plumbed in system to do both.

I was STUPID enough to believe Renault Nissan had figured that out, ooops ... either some engineer bungled the implementation because they didn't understand it, or it was never the intention.

It is possible to run a fluid circuit such that the working fluid first passes via an evaporator in the cabin, turning liquid to gas, this cools the air, the working fluid then continues to a condenser also in the cabin, turning gas back to liquid, so all the heat taken from the air is given back again. The benefit being the air is dried.

But the total heat content in condensation must still be greater than the cooling. The condensed fluid from the heater is therefore passed back to the outside matrix, where it is passed through an evaporator and converted to a gas, drawing heat from the cold outside.

The difficult bit is now getting that gas to recondense to a liquid without losing its thermal potential while being passed to the cabin evaporator to cool.

There is a big difficulty here controlling this. Seems Renault/Nissan gave up trying.

The upshot of all that, @Aberdeenleaf , is that AC systems all cool, ONLY, and they run in parallel to a heating system, they do indeed fight each other.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I find the aircon part uses very little range.
Very cold weekend up here, the heater was taking a pretty poor 15 miles off the range.
Switching off the aircon barely made a mile or two difference.
I like the constant demisting, I can't be bothered with a cycle of mist > on > clear > off

·
Registered
586 Posts
I like the constant demisting, I can't be bothered with a cycle of mist > on > clear > off
That would annoy me. It did when I tried it. The constant medium heat without aircon works well for me, but I am way further south than you, so my definition of 'cold' may be a little different.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
That would annoy me. It did when I tried it. The constant medium heat without aircon works well for me, but I am way further south than you, so my definition of 'cold' may be a little different.
= warm for Aberdeen.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just for info. tried switching on/off the aircon last night.
Car was on about 60% charge, pretty cold outside.
Heater and aircon on.
Switching the aircon off made zero difference to the GOM.
So I'm as well having it on and enjoying a dry interior.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
A/Cs don't work below 5C to avoid freezing but when it is working, the consumptionon on my Leaf was very low.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Heater and aircon on.
So I'm as well having it on and enjoying a dry interior.
The aircon consumption is variable, depending on how much work it is doing. Assuming it is doing anything at all, it won't be zero (that would be neat trick). If you can't maintain a clear screen without it, of course it is worth it.

And, it should go without saying but don't trust the GOM.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A/Cs don't work below 5C to avoid freezing but when it is working, the consumptionon on my Leaf was very low.
I'm not sure what you mean?
On loads of cars, it's (almost literally) crystal clear the dehumidifying part of the aircon is working when the temp is below 5C.
You can see the difference in demisting time on the windscreen with/without it.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
4,604 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean?
On loads of cars, it's (almost literally) crystal clear the dehumidifying part of the aircon is working when the temp is below 5C.
You can see the difference in demisting time on the windscreen with/without it.
If you say so.
Didn't work on most of mine and the handbook stated it wouldn't below 5C. (C5, CRZ, Guilietta, Brera etc)
Instead I let the engine warm up so hot air did the job.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,357 Posts
Why not bring up the energy usage information screen, it show exactly what the heating and ventilation system is using at any given time.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts