Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts
If you say so.
Didn't work on most of mine and the handbook stated it wouldn't below 5C. (C5, CRZ, Guilietta, Brera etc)
Instead I let the engine warm up so hot air did the job.
You are both potentially right. Some cars limit AC operation according to external temp to avoid freezing damage to the evaporator, that is dead right.

My 14 year old van has an ice detection on the matrix itself to stop it getting that cold, as many cars do. Doesn't even have an external temperature sensor!

Not operating the AC below 5C external is the 'cheap' way, not essential way, but all cars should have some way to avoid frost swelling in the fins of the evaporator (cooling) matrix else it risks destroying it.

I don't think some of my old American cars had anything like that, in fact on one of them there was actually a button 'defrost' that activated both the AC and max heat. I suspect more hardy designs of evaporator matrix back then. It was a 1976 Plymouth with an AC system little changed since it was originally designed in the early 50's. I would guess wider fin/channel separation to tolerate that sort of thing.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,357 Posts
Discounting the current ACENTA, which I understand has been stripped out, all LEAF 40 models have had a heat pump. The exception to this, is that when the LEAF 40 was introduced in early 2018, there was a VISIA model that was bargain basement to promote the new LEAF at a more attractive price point. This model didn’t sell well, principally because it didn’t have a heat pump and consequent was poor value and after a couple of months was discontinued.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,006 Posts
Discounting the current ACENTA, which I understand has been stripped out, all LEAF 40 models have had a heat pump. The exception to this, is that when the LEAF 40 was introduced in early 2018, there was a VISIA model that was bargain basement to promote the new LEAF at a more attractive price point. This model didn’t sell well, principally because it didn’t have a heat pump and consequent was poor value and after a couple of months was discontinued.
IIRC, when the Leaf 30s were introduced, the Visia remained only with the 22kWh pack though, so if it is a 30kWh it has a heat pump. I half-recall because I went for a test drive in one and it was a serious contender at the time.

I don't know if there was ever a Visia with 40kWh?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello,

What's the difference between Heat and A/C? Doesn't A/C heat up the car? I would have thought A/C would do both (heat up and cool down) depending on the temperature setting?

View attachment 155188
Just put the AC button on and you won't be able to use the red button on the left to set any heat at all.

You need to press the heat button to get heat.

It's like using an air conditioner on holiday or in the office - there's no heat option. It does not do heat.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts