Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather turning in the Uk I have been trying to find how the hell do activate the front heated screen? Tia

·
Registered
989 Posts
Same question here - I think the car was supposed to have that, but when reading through the actual description I concluded that it might be "just" a windscreen with a special metallic looking coating. Confused.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah me to? it does state its heated but how? I thought the coating was to help keep the heat in sun out so you don't have to use the heating/Ac which is why it comes with the energy assist pack? just read it again the heated windscreen does come with the energy assist pack? WTF?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe it is connected to the "windshield defrost"-button.

In the owner's manual it says:

• Vehicles with windscreen heating: the windscreen heating is switched on automatically using the "Windscreen demisting" function.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when you use the demister button on climate control it comes on? How stupid is that? so when i just want to demist i also use elect to heat the screen? Unless this helps demisting?

On another note do you guys suffer with the car fogging up slightly? is this down to not having a engine running?

·
Registered
989 Posts
On another note do you guys suffer with the car fogging up slightly? is this down to not having a engine running?
Yes indeed, it tends to fog up a bit more than an average car - even with the client control/airco on a small bit of the front door windows sometimes won't clear for 15 minutes or so, vents directly aimed at the windows. It doesn't annoy me much.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I believe it is connected to the "windshield defrost"-button.

In the owner's manual it says:

• Vehicles with windscreen heating: the windscreen heating is switched on automatically using the "Windscreen demisting" function.
Yes, this is correct, but a little odd. I spent a while looking around for the magic button, but there isn't one, you have to press the 'Max Windshield De-mist' button. I have added a screenshot below to illustrate. This is a little odd as I also would just like a heated windscreen button without the max air.

Also, the heated mirrors work in the same way. When you put on the rear windscreen de-mister the mirror heater is activated.

Attachments

Reactions: rez_p

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Bit of a double edged sword. It would be nice to have the option but then I can imagine there are quite a lot of people who would just leave it on by accident. While there is a gale blowing most people are looking for a chance to turn it off/down.
Designed for the lowest common denominator, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my car the windshield heating comes on automatically (if necessary) when the car is pre-heating. Why would you want a warm windshield and a cold car? And it worked splendidly this morning -2º

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been doing some rough measurements over the last couple of days. Daytime high around +1º, overnight -4º. Extensive use of pre-heat including heavily frosted windshield. Consumption measured by my metered charger supply is equivalent to 0.8 miles per kW, roughly twice what the wheels needed even on short cold journeys.

As an aside I found it impossible to discover what the pre-conditioning button actually indicates until there were a couple of warm days when I left dogs in the car with a/c on. The blue indicator light indicates pre-conditioning with a/c (depends on the difference between ambient and set temperature on the climate control), the red center light is pre-conditioning with heat and the yellow light on the right indicates that the pre-conditioning has been set remotely and is active. Has anyone found any different? I can't find this control in the manuals; printed, electronic or even on-line.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another tip I find useful in cooler weather.

Switch on Pre-entry climate control (via key). I had it switched off in the less cool weather! It's on the drivers instruments, left arrow on steering wheel to Settings; then E-cell and then down arrow to find the page to set this.

If you then forget to set the pre-heat remotely, it still comes on when you unlock the car. Gives a few minutes heat before you get in and saves you having to switch things on. I set this facility off in warmer weather.

I don't know about keyless go cars. Its not a feature I want. Indeed I want NOT to have keyless go.

The silly range forecast you can see in the photo is due to a reset of the trip & start totals which causes consumption to default to the unrealistic NEDC figures. Actual range in this weather is approximately half.
IMG_0828.jpg

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,206 Posts
In my car the windshield heating comes on automatically (if necessary) when the car is pre-heating. Why would you want a warm windshield and a cold car? And it worked splendidly this morning -2º
So it doesn't mist up to make that 1 mile drive to school?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts