Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before getting into this post, can we pause to reflect on whether I win the award for most ‘first world problems’ thread title in the history of the internet? :LOL:

Nevertheless, anyone think the heated steering wheel is too hot?? I only ever have it on level 1, and even on the coldest day it’s so hot that I always have to turn it off 5 minutes or so into a journey. Lord only knows what level 3 is like... I’d need to wear oven gloves!

Would be nice if level 1 was gently warming, but no more, so I could leave it on for a whole drive if I wanted to. Maybe it’s supposed to be but another software bug means level 1 is more intense than it’s supposed to be?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
Well, yes, it’s a first world problem, but hey that’s the reality right?!

When you have it set to 1, is that where you’d set it in the options, ie it comes on automatically below a certain outside temp?

I ask because I think I’ve noticed the same, my car is set to automatically heat the seats on 2 and wheel on 1, and it seems hot to me as well.

I think there’s a bug where the level setting is ignored and it just defaults to ‘max’, unless you cycle through from 1, off, 3, 2 and back to 1.

I think @Woodulike has noticed this as well.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yes, it’s a first world problem, but hey that’s the reality right?!

When you have it set to 1, is that where you’d set it in the options, ie it comes on automatically below a certain outside temp?

I ask because I think I’ve noticed the same, my car is set to automatically heat the seats on 2 and wheel on 1, and it seems hot to me as well.

I think there’s a bug where the level setting is ignored and it just defaults to ‘max’, unless you cycle through from 1, off, 3, 2 and back to 1.

I think @Woodulike has noticed this as well.
I don’t know, my butler normally sets all this up for me...

Ok, quizzed the butler. Turns out that like you, he has it set to come on automatically at level 1! So your theory seems plausible. I’m going to turn that off, and just turn it on to level 1 manually when I get in the car to see if I notice the difference.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have seen some posts mention that the wheel seems to be stuck on the hottest setting after a 2.0 upgrade. I have nothing to compare it to as I collected my car with 2.0 already installed. Anyone who has had both versions who can opine?

Edit: As if by magic, a Quercus appears...

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
It was fine when I was on 564 (warm, but not hot on setting 1), but since having 783, the lowest setting is too hot when it comes on automatically at start up. Maybe fixed with 2.1?
Ah ok, I’m still on 0564, but I’m sure that’s what I’m experiencing too.

Maybe I’m suffering hot steering wheel syndrome by proxy?!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,860 Posts
I've experienced exactly the same as Quercus and put it down to a bug introduced with 2.0
If Tooks is experiencing it on the original software it probably wasn't a new bug, just new to us.

Measures me more hopeful that 2.1 won't introduce several new bugs.

Has yours always been like that Tooks?

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I've experienced exactly the same as Quercus and put it down to a bug introduced with 2.0
If Tooks is experiencing it on the original software it probably wasn't a new bug, just new to us.

Measures me more hopeful that 2.1 won't introduce several new bugs.

Has yours always been like that Tooks?
As far as I know, I just thought it was normal to be hot on 1, but after I read your post about it I paid more attention and concluded that you weren’t mad after all! 😉😁

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,724 Posts
Did anyone notice that there is an "off" setting too?

My car has had no updates and the steering wheel heating is very pleasant. Looks like this function has been "improved" for the worse!

Don't you just love it that your car has become a computer with all the benefits and angst that implies?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can turn it down
I know :) But if I have to manually go into the climate menus and cycle through the heat levels each time I get in, that rather defeats the purpose of having it automatically come on when getting into the car on cold days in the first place.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Strangely, I think this is one of the things that does work correctly on my car. At least it did today. I have the wheel & seats set to come on at the middle setting (2?) and it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,860 Posts
I know :) But if I have to manually go into the climate menus and cycle through the heat levels each time I get in, that rather defeats the purpose of having it automatically come on when getting into the car on cold days in the first place.
I like it on full until my hands get hot then I turn it down.
It would be better if it was showing as full power and then turn it down but I've got used to it already being on full heat until I switch it down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts