Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this in the UK manual.

Does the UK Model 3 AWD LR actually have a steering wheel heater? If it does, I can't find a way to switch it on.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The mobile app is universal and whether it allows it on the M3 since it may not have one, it does allow switching on and off of the heated steering on cars equipped with it.

I would suggest it is most likely a sloppy cut and paste. Just realised the app is showing Gen 1 seats, must complain later!

·
Registered
164 Posts
There’s no heated steering wheel in the model 3. Nor is there any access to it in the climate settings. It was probably intended, and then they decided against it (I know they ran into issues early on with heating the vegan steering wheel) and never updated the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. Strange that with all that technology, they couldn't work out how to heat up a steering wheel when my lowly Nissan Leaf had a heated steering wheel (and 360 degree surround cameras) 3 years ago!

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Thank you. Strange that with all that technology, they couldn't work out how to heat up a steering wheel when my lowly Nissan Leaf had a heated steering wheel (and 360 degree surround cameras) 3 years ago!
Yes, but the Leaf probably had a real leather wheel. As above they had issues with the synthetic leather and decided not to offer initially. I am sure we will see it added at some point, especially for countries like Norway!

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
I'm hoping that all the current 3s will have it and at some point, it will pop up in the app as a buyable option, wishful thinking, but they've done it with the heated rear seats.?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Heated rear seats already existed though.. it was just a software switch.

Heated steering wheel would require a new wheel and wiring, which they may not want to do as an upgrade.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,510 Posts
Heated rear seats already existed though.. it was just a software switch.

Heated steering wheel would require a new wheel and wiring, which they may not want to do as an upgrade.
Aye Toby but I was meaning that all the equipment was already installed and just need 'switched on' to show up.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes, but the Leaf probably had a real leather wheel. As above they had issues with the synthetic leather and decided not to offer initially. I am sure we will see it added at some point, especially for countries like Norway!
yea Leaf heated wheel is leather... but I've had a lot of cars with heated wheels and every one of them heated up the wheel to uncomfortably-hot before backing off and then heating again, which I could understand wouldn't be good for all materials. There's no reason why it couldn't gently warm a faux leather wheel just to say raise it from 5 degrees to 20 rather than baking it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
but the steering wheel has to cope with all the oils and grime off your hands, which unless you drive naked a lot (not judging) your seats don't have to cope with. I know pleather steering wheels have been hard to make, and telsa didn't switch from leather for some time due to the complications with making them last long enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts