Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This winter I had my first episodes of Raynaud's Syndrome which the exigencies of balancing range with comfort in an EV with modest battery capacity seemed to bring on. And it wasn't nice.

So I just completed this upgrade for my 2013 Ampera, using a heated steering wheel out of a breakers 2016 Mokka, new clockspring GM 23166808 and new cruise control switch pack with heated seat switch and LED 42353610. Quite a lot of investigating pin assignments and checking the resistor ladder values etc but it all worked out in the end. The Mokka wheel, like the Astra is controlled from the HVAC facia so the wiring in the Mokka wheel needs to be re-routed from the clockspring connection to the new switch. And of course all the new switch wires have to be carefully joined to the Mokka equivalents as the plug is different - I used a standard JST XH series 2.5mm 9-pin connector with minimal trimming. In the second pic you can see the two wires from the heated wheel controller (PINK On/Off ground toggle and OLIVE GREEN LED indicator) running up from the bottom of the wheel where the controller is located.

Total parts costs was not much over £100.

Basically though, once I had all the components I followed Anthony Vigil's excellent 'how to' series on Youtube, re-using my Ampera steering angle sensor and being very careful to keep everything aligned to avoid stabiltrak issues. Worst part was purposely turning the wheel 180 degrees before powering off to free the airbag mounts - it just feels so wrong :unsure: REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT THE 12V BATTERY AND ALLOW 30MINS FOR COMPLETE DISCHARGE BEFORE MESSING WITH ANY SRS COMPONENTS.

Only apparent downside is that the backlighting on the new switch is white rather than the unique blue/green of the Volt./Ampera . The Mokka was red so I re-used the Ampera audio switch block. I may try some coloured filter film inside the switch over the LEDs if it bothers me.

NOTE: If you have an early car (pre-13) this upgrade may not work with the new switch as the cruise switch is different part number and Anthony says it was unique. I don't know what the uniqueness is but if it is electrical (the resistor values or a completely different way of operating) then you would have to have a switch external to the wheel (as the Mokka is) and and keep the Ampera cruise control.

Here are a couple of reference charts I made along the way and a heated wheel wiring schematic I found for a GMC truck - which is pretty much the same design.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,906 Posts
None of the pictures are showing for me, just the schematics, but sounds like some nice work! 👍🙂

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having got over the geek challenge of using the designed-for wheel switch, I can see an opportunity for some value engineering that would simplify the installation and save cash.

The heated wheel is turned on and off very simply by momentarily grounding the controller's 12v sense wire (PINK). So you could leave the Ampera switches as they are, and bury a small, momentary on push-button in the rear of one of the wheel spokes - I'm pretty sure the wheel structure is entirely made of plastic. The sense wire can then go via this switch to a connection on the wheel centre, which is electrically earthed to enable the horn push. You could fix up an LED indicator with suitable resistor for the green wire and do the same with that (in sight obviously). Or you could just not bother because when the switch is on the wheel is .... er .... hot. :geek:

·
Registered
2015 Ampera Positiv MY12
261 Posts
I often wondered if other steering wheels would fit the Ampera. I've always thought the original wheel was somewhat minging, particularly the big black (almost rectangular) section in the middle.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
particularly the big black (almost rectangular) section in the middle.
Well, to be fair, most of that is taken up by the two-stage airbag, but the Vauxhall Opel trim design is larger (as is the Buick Verano) if you compare it with the Volt.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In case anyone is interested, there is a real bargain here at the moment. Needs a bit of a clean up and the audio switch block is broken but you'll be re-using the Ampera one so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In case anyone is interested, there is a real bargain here at the moment. Needs a bit of a clean up and the audio switch block is broken but you'll be re-using the Ampera one so it doesn't matter.
The mokka wheels all seem to have a speed limiter legend where the heater switch should be. Do they all have a heater element, or Is there another way of telling whether or not there is a heater element, I wonder?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mokka wheels all seem to have a speed limiter legend where the heater switch should be. Do they all have a heater element, or Is there another way of telling whether or not there is a heater element, I wonder?
Yes, the speed limiter seems to be a UK/Europe thing. It's not a feature on the Volt/Ampera.

The only way to be sure if the wheel is heated is to look at the wheel innards. The heated wheel controller gubbins is located in the bottom spoke. If that stuff is missing, it's not a heated wheel.

Here is a Mokka wheel on ebay now that is not heated

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, the speed limiter seems to be a UK/Europe thing. It's not a feature on the Volt/Ampera.

The only way to be sure if the wheel is heated is to look at the wheel innards. The heated wheel controller gubbins is located in the bottom spoke. If that stuff is missing, it's not a heated wheel.

Here is a Mokka wheel on ebay now that is not heated

View attachment 145042

1 - 12 of 12 Posts