Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Ampera but now winter is here the use of the heater is reminding me of one aspect of the car I just can't get to grips with.

I use eco setting generally. When first in car I tend to use windscreen demister. Then it gets too hot on face so I swap to auto. This seems to send slightly warm air to feet but draughty cool air around legs. Then it starts misting up so have to swap back to windscreen.

I have tried fiddling about with the diagram rather than auto and switched from eco to max but none of the settings seem to warm my legs and anything other than demister ends up fogging windows.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need it looked at?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,673 Posts
When I need to use the heater I just set it to 'Auto' and 23c, it sometimes selects the 'Max' setting but I can over-ride that to 'Eco' if I want but still leave it on 'Auto'. If I am trying to eke out the power then heater is off and only when I need to clear the windscreen do I select the 'Windscreen' option, it puts the fan on at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love my Ampera but now winter is here the use of the heater is reminding me of one aspect of the car I just can't get to grips with.

I use eco setting generally. When first in car I tend to use windscreen demister. Then it gets too hot on face so I swap to auto. This seems to send slightly warm air to feet but draughty cool air around legs. Then it starts misting up so have to swap back to windscreen.

I have tried fiddling about with the diagram rather than auto and switched from eco to max but none of the settings seem to warm my legs and anything other than demister ends up fogging windows.

Am I doing something wrong or do I need it looked at?
I drive with MAX and AUTO all the time and don't have a problem. I believe one of the advantages of MAX is that it will use the air conditioner to remove some of the moisture and prevent some fogging of the windows. The ECO mode seems to switch off the air conditioning compressor at the lower ambient temperatures hence the fogging.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with @LK13 - use the Max setting. Eco is, inevitably, a compromise.

I just stick mine on Max, and forget about it. Usually I preheat too, so it's toasty when I get in. Never a problem with misting, it just sorts it out.

I've tried Eco, and it was more hassle than it was worth - constant faffing!

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't max setting just keep noisy fan going full tilt most of the time? Does it warm the middle level of car and keep your legs warm? Also what temperature do you use? At the moment mine is on 29 and it still doesn't keep me warm. In all other cars I have had I just set the climate to 22 pretty much year round and it was fine.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
What @LK13 said. In winter, if you use Eco, then you're not removing the moisture from the air enough. So, recommendation is:
- Put it on Max and stop worrying about the EV milage - its still miles cheaper than an ICE car..
- Set to something like Auto, 23C (my settings as well)
- Turn OFF auto-recirculation.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
604 Posts
No, it gets to the requested temperature as quickly as possible - so if you don't preheat then you get the fan and heater on full whack for a few mins, then when it hits the temperature it cranks back down.

Mine's been set on 23 degrees this week - usually preheated, but not always. It blasts the heating at first, then it's quiet and keeps the whole cabin warm :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have always found the climate control not as sophisticated as other cars (it seems to struggle to maintain a constant temp) but generally use it as you describe - auto with demist for first few minutes only - as this works for me. Sounds like you may just need to notch the temp up a degree or so...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Doesn't max setting just keep noisy fan going full tilt....
...mine is on 29....
There's your problem.. You have eco (Provide Low Power) setting yet temp on 29 (Demand High Power). You are fighting against Physics.. you won't win!

Max Mode wont use any more energy to make you comfortable than Eco Mode. The amount to energy required to make you comfortable does not change when you flick a setting! Eco mode will just draw out the process and get there more slowly...

Normally:
1) If its cold and you want heat don't use the "reduced power" Eco mode.
2) setting the temp to 67° wont warm your car any quicker than setting it to 20° the heater heats at a constant rate The temperature setting only controls when it stops heating...
3) preheat is useful, and economic (uses mains not your battery), and will take a big chunk out of the heat-up time.
4) if its very cold and you want heat as fast as possible use Hold Mode. ICE engines are really good at making heat.
5) It takes time to warm your car, turning things up wont reduce the time, it'll just move the goal post further away and take long to get to the desired temp (hence 29 causes all the fans to max out for a very long time).

All that said the climate control in the Ampera\Volt is a bit crap. it seems to use preset levels rather than levels that react to the temperature difference, I notice that the fan speed is determined by the desired temperature setting irrespective of the ambient temp. For example if the ambient is 5C and you set 24C as the desired, the fans will run faster than if you select 21C desired. (this is the same for ambient at 10C or 0C) the fans slow down upon reaching the desired temp.
So I normally set my climate on Max Auto and 21C, and use preheat.
If I forget to preheat I'll start out on ICE (which also warms the battery and gives better range when I drop back to EV) If I need to I will sometimes turn up the fan speed for a bit or sometimes turn up to 24C to achieve the same result.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Good advice above. Forget ECO mode in Winter, set the aircon to MAX, and turn off auto-recirculation. I find the best way to force air to all parts of the car equally is to go to the diagram and turn on higher, middle and lower options (i.e. face, middle, feet). That way it seems to keep the windscreen demisted while keeping the rest of the car warm. It will still automatically control the fan (unless you change the fan speed manually).

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I do exactly as @hopbackguy describes except I do not turn the recirculation off. I find that if I do this it also turns off the AUTO setting.
It turns off the auto LIGHT... But the air temperature, distribution and fan speed are still all working on auto. The light goes off because something is not on auto - re circulation.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it worked better on max but still getting cool legs. Seems to be some warm air coming out on at least one side of footwell. A little bit from face vents and a bit more from dash top. Only reason I had it on 29 before was because I couldn't get warm enough. Max on 25 just about warm enough apart from legs. It's not as if I normally feel the cold so maybe my car has a fault.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The heated seats are handy as @Julian Thomas says, we all have a lot of blood in our derrières - warming it up gets the blood flowing down your legs too!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I find the best way to force air to all parts of the car equally is to go to the diagram and turn on higher, middle and lower options (i.e. face, middle, feet).
After trying many different ways to get warm quickly with a short range journey ahead so no energy constraints, I ended up with this same strategy. The full auto mode does not seem to get any warmth from the hand level vents and did feel like cold draught around my legs. I think full auto is fine once up to temp in the cabin and it dehumidifies well.

I do get the impression it dehumidifies according to a predefined strategy rather than a humidity measurement. I think dew point is all it is capable of detecting (for the auto demist setting), as it still dehumidifies on a cold dry day when heating the outside air from near freezing to 20degC which would result in near zero % humidity, yet it still cycles the chiller whilst heating.
All in all it does a good job with limited energy wastage, and it is possible to average 6 miles per kwh while in full Eco auto mode on a mild sunny September day, and stay comfortable. Can't ask for much more than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts